Is 100 days & a part time job enough time to study? Need advice..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyorkgirl24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I recently just graduated undergrad and moved back home and it all feels very real that I have to take my MCAT.

I wanted to take it on Sept 14th, which would give me about a 100 days. I'm also starting my new position with Scribe America and thats going to take up at least 20 hours a week.
My major in college was psychology so I wasn't a science major. Do you think this is suffice time and doable?

My game plan was to schedule it for September and if I feel extremely under-prepared, I would push it back to January.
Any advice would be great, thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm also working with about 100 days and a PT job but I majored in biochemistry. I agree with the poster above, you won't know where you stand until you take a practice exam! I've worked with ScribeAmerica; don't let them pressure you into working more hours than you're comfortable with. As long as you show up and do the job when you're scheduled, no one is going to care if you "broke your contract". The most valuable thing for me was working the first 200-300 hours and building a relationship with the physician for a reference. I would tell them you only want 1 or 2 shifts a week and hunker down for MCAT prep.

In general ya that should be plenty, but depends on your work ethic/ability to stay on task for long periods. 20 hours a week is not a lot if that's your only obligation. You could study 40-60 hours a week with that kind of schedule no problem. If you can stay on task for that many hours a week and not burnout, then 100 days would probably be enough to learn all the mcat material (even without significant prior exposure), do all the aamc question banks, and ~8 full lengths. Any more than that is overkill and asking to burn out. If you only want to study 20-30 hours a week then you may need more time.