Is 3.0 gpa cutoff for science gpa too, or only cumulative gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is 3.0 gpa cutoff for science gpa too, or only cumulative gpa?

• ONLY cumulative GPA

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Science GPA ALSO

Votes: 25 83.3%

• Total voters

MedicinalCalling

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether med schools screen for a >3.0 science gpa also, or is it only for cumulative gpa? My cumulative gpa is well above 3.0, but my science gpa might go under 3.0 this semester. I am planning on doing an SMP program, but I just wanted to be sure that my undergraduate gpa would at least meet the cutoff for adcoms. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is this cutoff you speak of? There are no standard cutoffs. Science GPA matters as much, sometimes even more, than cumulative GPA. Do the best you can now and make sure you guaranteed murder the SMP curriculum. Otherwise, bye bye medicine

I think he means screens for receiving secondaries? A 2.9x in either cumulative or science GPA is going to cause problems. Or does cutoff refer to SMP admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a 2.97cGPA and wasn't screened from any program

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does that mean you received secondaries to all of the schools you sent a primary to? How many II
did you receive?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does that mean you received secondaries to all of the schools you sent a primary to? How many II
did you receive?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Yep. 25 schools

Reactions: 1 user
It varies for each school.. I think at least

Had a 2.97cGPA and wasn't screened from any program

Many schools send secondaries to everyone but I suspect a lot will screen you out of getting a II with that GPA. And you would have no way of knowing.

Reactions: 1 user
Many schools send secondaries to everyone but I suspect a lot will screen you out of getting a II with that GPA. And you would have no way of knowing.
Oh for sure. I did do an SMP however, so maybe that played into the algorithm

Oh for sure. I did do an SMP however, so maybe that played into the algorithm

I had a 2.99 cum 3.3x sci for first bachelor's. I received secondaries from several schools which screen pre secondary. Didn't get interviews to any of those though. Only interviewed at places without stated cutoffs... So maybe those screening schools were just scooping up some free cash before rejecting me.