Is a 125 on the bio section particularly damaging?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beebreezy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I imagine it could be more or less of a red flag depending on your sGPA. I had a 508 with 125s in both B/B and C/P but an sGPA of 3.70 and managed to recieve 5 MD IIs, but I was also waitlisted everywhere before eventually being accepted. Getting an interview doesn't mean your MCAT score no longer matters.

I think your score is good enough for MD, though! Just apply broadly to schools within reach. Only retake if you don't get in on your first cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get your app together and apply ASAP and get out of your locked brain about a section score.

Reactions: 1 user
See, that's what I'm confused/concerned about. I have a 3.96 GPA, so I could see it going either way where on one hand, my GPA could balance my meh score out a bit but on the other hand, it could look suspect that my GPA doesn't match the score.

Yeah, I'm going to apply to a lot of schools and pray I get in and don't have to retake, but I probably will if I have to wait another year to apply again anyway.

Your score really isn't so low for there to be a concerning discrepancy. There are premeds with a 3.9 and a 505; that's more of an issue than what you present.

I agree with the above poster that it's time to move on, submit ASAP, and work with what you have!

Reactions: 1 users
GREAT advice from mcatjelly. The truth is that at some schools, a 125 in the B/B section will be a kiss of death. But the key word in that sentence is some, which is much different than all. Each school weighs the various aspects of your application differently. If you apply broadly enough and do your homework in terms of looking at the averages for their matriculants, then you will have a group of schools that will be fine with a 125 in B/B and a 509 overall. Then it's up to you to shine in the areas they weigh most heavily.

Get your App in ASAP and make it a point to turn your secondaries around quickly, so you can make up for lost time in the application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
GREAT advice from mcatjelly. The truth is that at some schools, a 125 in the B/B section will be a kiss of death. But the key word in that sentence is some, which is much different than all. Each school weighs the various aspects of your application differently. If you apply broadly enough and do your homework in terms of looking at the averages for their matriculants, then you will have a group of schools that will be fine with a 125 in B/B and a 509 overall. Then it's up to you to shine in the areas they weigh most heavily.

Get your App in ASAP and make it a point to turn your secondaries around quickly, so you can make up for lost time in the application cycle.

High compliment. :love: