is a car basically required for 3rd and 4th year? (Particularly at UIC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of money saved up, but I don't know if I should put it toward a car in medical school, or toward booze/vacation money in medical school. (During vacation time).

Members don't see this ad.

seth03 said:
I have a lot of money saved up, but I don't know if I should put it toward a car in medical school, or toward booze/vacation money in medical school. (During vacation time).

They say its needed, but I am guessing you can always get by without one. Maybe taking the EL to get around and bumming rides off classmates. I'm shipping out a car from Cali from M1 on out, but I hear some hospitals in the area don't have adequate parking which sucks if you are driving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Re: the parking situation at hospitals,

I am a youngin and have never done a clinical rotation, but I would assume that if you are getting to the hospital anywhere between 3-6 in the morning there would be plenty of spots available. In the middle of the day it may get crowded (I remember Loyola getting quite crowded the one time I was there around 2 pm).

seth03 said:

you will most likely need one third year, as UIC rotates at hospitals throughout the chicagoland area which are not easily accessed by public transportation (Christ, lutheran general, mercy, michael reese, various psych hospitals and family medicine clinics). you may be fortunate as to get all hospitals around UIC, but it isnt guaranteed (and even the administration says a car is needed).

you may also need one the first two years as you have clinical experiences that may be away from UIC's campus, however people without cars can usually arange for rides from fellow classmates or swich to a different hospital.

i suggest saving your money and buying a car if needed, otherwise use your savings 4th year to buy booze/vacation...

financial aid will increase for your clinical years as to allow money to buy a car if one needs to do so...