Is a late switch to Urology possible? Would appreciate anyone's input!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rusty90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, MS3 here. Up until early 3rd year I was pretty intent on doing urology. Then came my surgery rotation. I had some pretty significant back pain in the OR, so I got an MRI in January and found out I had two bulging discs in my back. I was scared of being in pain for the next 30-40 years of my career and pretty much stopped thinking of urology right then.

Made a late switch to Rad Onc for a number of reasons, but I can state honestly that I don't love the field. I'm not crazy about how small it it, and while the people are fine, I don't have as much fun as I do with those in surgery. I'm sure I could be happy doing it based on my interest in the subject matter and lifestyle (NOT the money, but the hours), but I'll never love going to work in the morning.

Here's my question: If I decide halfway through my RadOnc SubI in July that it's just too boring for me and I'd rather put up with the back pain, is it too late to switch to Urology?

I'd have to sign up for a Uro SubI either in August or September (when I'm taking Step 2) at my home institution, and there would be little if any time to sign up for an away rotation, the vast majority of which are already/will be full. The thing that worries me most here is not matching, given that Uro is at least on the same tier of competitiveness as RadOnc.

Here's my background if it helps:
Top 10 Med School
Step 1: 250
Grades: Preclinical Pass/Fail, third-year grades have been 4 Honors (Surgery, Medicine, OB/GYN, Family) and 1 HP (Psych)
Research: ZERO journal publications, but at the time of applications, I will have:
- submitted 1 first-author manuscript in surgical oncology to a big name journal
- 1 first-author Uro in the manuscript-writing stage
- 1 first-author RadOnc project in the manuscript-writing stage
- 2 RadOnc second-author projects in the manuscript-writing stage
LORs: My Uro PI qualifies as a big-wig, so I'd have at least 1 strong LOR, but obviously none from any away rotations

I'd truly appreciate any advice here - I'm feeling more lost at the end of my 3rd year than I did at any other point in medical school!

Members don't see this ad.

if you think there is any chance that you will switch to urology, you are best to start scheduling the urology away rotations now and then canceling them if you end up staying in rad/onc.

also, with a very strong step 1 score like you have, there really isn't any reason to take step 2 so early unless there is a requirement for your med school. better to spend your time doing well on your away rotations; take step 2 sometime after the new year.

best of luck

Gotcha, thanks. The Step 2 thing is a school requirement that it has to be done by the end of September, otherwise I'd definitely wait.