Is a Residency Necessary for a M.D. seeking a PM/PH Career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that a preventive medicine (PM)/public health (PH) residency entails one year of completing a MPH, and then the following year is devoted to a practicum year with a preventive medicine or public health "field experience".

If a person with a M.D. or D.O. is interested in PM/PH, is a residency in this field "absolutely" required?

Obviously, it would be advantageous to be paid for 2 years during the M.P.H. and the practicum years, and then be able to state that you were board eligible/board certified in PM/PH upon completing a residency in this area.

But, if a person has successfully passed USMLE Step 3, done enough postgraduate training in internal medicine, pediatrics, or whatever specialty to qualify for a state medical license in the state they wish to practice, and completes a M.P.H.... couldn't they get a job in this sector without doing a specific residency in PM/PH, especially in a field like public health (which has more of an administrative than a clinical emphasis), epidemiology or biostatistics?

I posted this in the "General Residency Issues Forum", but didn't get much feedback, so I am putting it here, as it this forum seems more appropriate. Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello prominence,

You absolutely do not have to do a preventive medicine residency to pursue a career in public health. However, depending on the sector of public health in which you would like to practice, it may be difficult without a degree - but even so, the organization might support you in obtaining the MPH degree (or worst case scenario, you pay for it yourself or do something online while you work). In summary, the MPH is advantageous (but not necessary) when looking for a PH job, but you can do it at any time w/o doing a Preventive Medicine residency program (which I personally think is not very worthwhile anyway, so I will stay off my soapbox).

If you want to get into government (e.g., CDC), it is EXTREMELY difficult to get into a position without some sort of "in", whether it is a fellowship or special program. Luckily, there is one specific program for persons with terminal degrees, The Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) program. It gives you basic public health training along with a two-year fellowship in public health - where you typically respond to PH emergencies/catastrophies (e.g., such as the recent E. coli outbreak). The only requisite for MDs is that you have completed an intern year in your residency of choice. You can get more information about the program at the following site: http://www.cdc.gov/eis/.

You might also want to check out the Public Health Employment Connection to see what kinds of experience and training are typically required for various public health jobs: http://cfusion.sph.emory.edu/PHEC/phec.cfm.

Best,
H&T