Is a retake absurd?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustBoughtAHammock

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy gang, long story short, this cycle hasn't gone my way. TMDSAS Applicant 3.75/511 ORM submitted everything by July and I have yet to receive a single interview invite. Because of this, I'm preparing myself for reapplication. I'm getting a clinical job as I believe my biggest weakness (and what probably killed my application) was my lack of clinical experience. At the time of application, I only had around 80 hours of hospice care and 50 hours of shadowing (Yes, I knew these were low when I applied). Here comes my question: should I also retake my MCAT? I've already registered to take it again in April because I truly believe I can do better (my FL average was 517). I just need to decide now if I am going to go super deep in the paint on clinical experience or if I should go pretty deep in the paint on clinical while also going deep in the paint for the MCAT.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Moved to Re-applicants forum.

A 511 MCAT is fine. As you noted, very low clinical experience (50 shadowing hours are fine however) is what likely kept you from any interviews. Include TCOM and Sam Houston next year if you were not planning on it already.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy gang, long story short, this cycle hasn't gone my way. TMDSAS Applicant 3.75/511 ORM submitted everything by July and I have yet to receive a single interview invite. Because of this, I'm preparing myself for reapplication. I'm getting a clinical job as I believe my biggest weakness (and what probably killed my application) was my lack of clinical experience. At the time of application, I only had around 80 hours of hospice care and 50 hours of shadowing (Yes, I knew these were low when I applied). Here comes my question: should I also retake my MCAT? I've already registered to take it again in April because I truly believe I can do better (my FL average was 517). I just need to decide now if I am going to go super deep in the paint on clinical experience or if I should go pretty deep in the paint on clinical while also going deep in the paint for the MCAT.

I’ll say you could still get an interview in December or January. Fingers crossed for you

I don't think you need a retake. I think my learned colleague Goro is correct. You may just be having bad luck. Also, you're correct to increase your clinical/shadowing hours. I know this was almost 10 years ago for me, but I am pretty sure I had around 250 hours.

While I hope you still hear some good news based on your current app, you're smart to prepare to reapply. Plus really committing significant time to clinical experience and exposure would not only help a reapplication effort, it will help you if you are invited to interview or if you are waitlisted. That should be your top priority and something you start ASAP. You don't need more shadowing. If you can, take a full-time position. You'll learn a ton quickly.

Regarding the MCAT, people with 511s get accepted (assuming the score is fairly balanced) so you don't need to retake. However, a higher score may improve your chances at some schools in TDMSAS (Baylor, Long, McGovern for example). So the question becomes more of a cost benefit analysis: Can you prepare again for the MCAT effectively and improve your score several points without taking away from the clinical experience, which is what you really need in order to improve your chances? Are you confident that whatever caused you to get a 511 and not a 517 last time won't happen again? You certainly don't want the score to go down.

Finally if you do need to reapply, strongly consider applying to programs outside of Texas. Texas schools can be your first choice. However, there are a lot more schools outside of Texas that become options if you apply more widely.

I would definitely focus on clinical experience and shadowing - that is a HUGE part of your application, and it is particularly important to admissions committees these days.

"absurd" is a peculiar word to use. If you think you can do better, make an appropriate plan if you don't hear anything to retake it before June. All the advice above is applicable. You have to shoot for a +10 improvement. Anything like a +3 improvement is marginal and within expected ranges of most retakers. But 511's are capable to passing most medical school curricula.

Reactions: 2 users
Mr. Smile's saying you need a 521 or better for it to be worthwhile; I wouldn't go that far but would say not to bother retaking unless you're consistently getting 518+ on practice tests...a 518 might make a difference there; a 514 will not. Good luck.