Is AAFP Membership necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm board certified by both the ABFM and the ACOFP. Of course, the ACOFP requires AOA membership (which I have). But, am I required to be part of the AAFP to maintain my ABFM certification? If not, are there any other benefits other than the magazine every 2 weeks? Otherwise, it's hard for me to justify $500 per year when I can get the practice info on UptoDate.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You are not required to be a member, no.

That said, I like the journal and more importantly the easy CME attached to it that the AAFP then records and sends to the ABFM and my state board automatically.

I guess it comes down to whether the AAFP require membership to maintain your board certification with them just like the AOA does. I guess the question is why do you need board cert from both boards? Isn't board certification the same on paper regardless of what side you are through?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it comes down to whether the AAFP require membership to maintain your board certification with them just like the AOA does.

No, it doesn't.

I should add that most FM residency programs will sign all of their residents up for AAFP membership, since it's free to residents. After you graduate, however, it's up to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it comes down to whether the AAFP require membership to maintain your board certification with them just like the AOA does. I guess the question is why do you need board cert from both boards? Isn't board certification the same on paper regardless of what side you are through?

I did a dual MD/DO residency and was required to get board certified by both the ACOFP and the ABFM. The reason I'm keeping both is that if I ever want to teach or be part of an academic residency program that is a MD/DO program or just a MD program, the ACGME will require that I'm part of the ABFM if I want to be Program Director.

Also, employers always seem impressed by it when I have dual board certification. (Although some are idiots and ask me questions like, "So you are both a MD and a DO?" :laugh:)

It's not required, but I like having the magazines and easy CME. I am getting renewal notices now and it's quite a bit more than $500! AAFP also keeps track of all my CME which makes for easy reporting to whatever group wants proof. I particularly like Practice Management since there just wasn't a lot of billing education in residency and my current billers have no formal billing training and seem generally clueless.