Is adding a 5th LoR too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnPocoLoco

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I currently have 4 LoR for my upcoming application. (2 Science, 1 Non-Sci, 1 DO in order to check the requirements for most schools.) However, I was also interested in adding an additional letter, but I wasn't sure if it would be seen as excessive.

Specifically, I was planning on getting a letter from the director of a Latinx organization I was president in. A lot of my application/personal statement is centered around my dedication to Latino health. Do you think it would be good to include a 5th letter in this case or would it just be seen as unnecessary since it's not fulfilling any requirement from schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely not too much. It is really those who want to send upwards of 8 or more when adcoms get +/- 10,000 apps. Trying to get through just the required material is quite a job.

Hey all. I currently have 4 LoR for my upcoming application. (2 Science, 1 Non-Sci, 1 DO in order to check the requirements for most schools.) However, I was also interested in adding an additional letter, but I wasn't sure if it would be seen as excessive.

Specifically, I was planning on getting a letter from the director of a Latinx organization I was president in. A lot of my application/personal statement is centered around my dedication to Latino health. Do you think it would be good to include a 5th letter in this case or would it just be seen as unnecessary since it's not fulfilling any requirement from schools?
Have mercy on us who have to read these things. More is not better

The only way it would be a plus I feel is if it was another DO letter. A very intelligent ADCOM told me that it is rare for a student to have two DO letters.