MPH Is an MPH a good option if I want to teach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocTAP87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a BS in Health Science from the University of Michigan and I became really interested in working in public health. From there, I discovered public health education and I've decided that I really want to teach. I want to teach health and science related courses at the college level.

Would getting an MPH be a way to work toward this goal or should I have something more focused? Most of my instructors seem to have a specific degree such as epidemiology, toxicology, biostatistics, and so forth.

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want to teach at the college level, you should strongly consider a PhD. I don't recall a lot of my public health professors having just a Masters degree (most had PhDs, MDs, etc)

I know PhD students who teach some classes, but they're given those roles since it prepares them for a career in academia when they receive their degree. You don't necessarily have to become a professor, as lots of universities can recruit you as a lecturer (or adjunct professor, but you don't make as money as a regular professor). I'd ask professors at your school for some advice on this.

I have a BS in Health Science from the University of Michigan and I became really interested in working in public health. From there, I discovered public health education and I've decided that I really want to teach. I want to teach health and science related courses at the college level.

Would getting an MPH be a way to work toward this goal or should I have something more focused? Most of my instructors seem to have a specific degree such as epidemiology, toxicology, biostatistics, and so forth.

Thanks for any advice.
I second this post. PhD is specifically geared towards a career in academia, so you'll get a lot more teaching experience as a PhD candidate. MPH students get a lot of practical experience, but very little of it will be teaching in a classroom setting. If you're not sure what to get your PhD in, you could certainly do the MPH to get more exposure to the field and then apply to PhD programs afterwards.

Members don't see this ad :)
alm14, that makes sense. I think I'm in the mindset that it all has to happen one after the other. I know that public health education really appeals to me right now. I want to work in the community and an MPH will open up additional doors if I want to move up. For now, I'm trying to get some work experience with BS. Once I'm in the field, then I'll have a more specific idea of what I would want to focus on for academia.

If you are interested in working in the community and eventually teaching in a formal setting, an MPH with a focus in community health could be a great option. Nearly all public health doctoral programs require an MPH or remedial classes to gain equivalent knowledge prior to admission.

An MPH can work as an instructor teaching undergraduate classes but if you want a career in academia, you need a doctoral degree to become a tenure track professor. Being eligible for tenure and promotion is really the only viable way to have a career teaching within a university.