is anybody taking Part 1 exam in May/June ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kisukr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if any taking NDBE part 1 exam in may/june, so that we can discuss some topics.

Thanks
Kishore

Members don't see this ad.

hey all

i need to knw somethng, im doin pathology, and really confused, all the books have somethng extra in them, nbde frst aid i think is nt enuf?
is tht true/>
u did frm usmle kaplan lecture notes or from kaplan nbde review books,,
as of now im listening to goljan lecture and thn stdyn frm frst aid..

now tht the pattern has changed i dnt want to rely much on the old xams?
how r path questions put on the xam?

hey ninety

im sorry fr copy pasting the msg to ur private mail,

i did tht coz at times we do not check the thread, but in sdn, whn u get a pm, we get an alert on our mail box(diff frm sdn-the one we used to register, ), so i thought il get a prompt reply frm u..

im sorry if that caused u any type of inconvenience.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I don't know why I am not studying??I am not studying at least 4 hours per day since a week.I am done till today only with Physiology perfectly.My exam is in September 1st week.Every thing is remained.But I am not studying constantly for 1 hour . I study for 10 minutes, then losing interest , and thinking to finish that this , finally ending up without studying any thing.
Please girls suggest something.I am totally lost....................

If you can study for 10 min at a time and get easily distracted, try studying for 15 min, then take a break 5min or 10 min whatever is necessary. But during the break don't go and watch TV, or read a magazine. Do something active, like go for a walk or clean the kitchen or organize a cupboard, put a load of laundry in. Than sit down again and focus for another 15 min. Do that for couple of hours or all afternoon and then try to increase the study time to 20 min etc.

Everytime you feel like getting up, try to read one more paragraph, at the end of the day it all adds up.

One step at a time. Change locations if you have to, or subject, anything, as long as you're studying.

Also if nothing works, remember, that there are many people out there just like you, who will be writing the exam at the same time....
and THEY are studying RIGHT NOW.

hope that helps. :)

Thank you very much, I will try your suggested methodologies.I don't want to drop in the middle of my preparation because of the pregnancy pains or any distractions.
Thanks a lot...I should tell you one thing whenever I see ur messages I feel like I should see you personally.You are tons and tons of motivation.
Which country are you from??Just curiosity...
If you can study for 10 min at a timeand get easily distracted, try studying for 15 min, then take a break 5min or 10 min whatever is necessary. But during the break don't go and watch TV, or read a magazine. Do something active, like go for a walk or clean the kitchen or organize a cupboard, put a load of laundry in. Than sit down again and focus for another 15 min. Do that for couple of hours or all afternoon and then try to increase the study time to 20 min etc.

Everytime you feel like getting up, try to read one more paragraph, at the end of the day it all adds up.

One step at a time. Change locations if you have to, or subject, anything, as long as you're studying.

Also if nothing works, remember, that there are many people out there just like you, who will be writing the exam at the same time....
and THEY are studying RIGHT NOW.

hope that helps. :)

Thanks dentbaby, this forum is so helpful, and you get to know so many people from so many different countries.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I just recieved my score and I made it!!! a 90 :soexcited:
I just want to tell u guys, as everyone who got good scores also said...it is doable and the exam is not that difficult, I really came out feeling that I picked sooo many wrong anwers and wasn't satisfied...but there is a great chance that u still get that 90...my advice to u is to focus on whatever source u chose and don't confuse urself...I just felt that I belong to this thread and had to be loyal and post here! lol thanks to all of u :)

all the best for all of u :luck:

My hearty congratulations to you.You amde it...........:thumbup:...I wish the same for Ninety and Huggies tooo.I am really happy for you Xactreality ...................:love:QUOTE=xactreality;8352635]Hi everyone!

I just want to tell u guys, as everyone who got good scores also said...it is doable and the exam is not that difficult, I really came out feeling that I picked sooo many wrong anwers and wasn't satisfied...but there is a great chance that u still get that 90...my advice to u is to focus on whatever source u chose and don't confuse urself...I just felt that I belong to this thread and had to be loyal and post here! lol thanks to all of u :)

all the best for all of u :luck:[/QUOTE]

Hi everyone!

Congratulations! Wonderful score!!

xactreality...i have been following your posts for quite some time now...i really admire you for your dedication towards your goal....even in the circumstances you had to give the exam in.....
honestly....it has given me some hope i believe you studied 6 weeks before the exam.... i have been studying for some time and i just lost that momentum in which i started, over time....i just got too saturated and i stopped studying all together i started believing i cant do it.....but now i feel maybe i do have some chance considering that my exam is in 4 weeks and i have already gone thru the kaplan book, decks and q papers before.....i am going to start again now.... i cant get back the time i wasted but i can try to utilize whatever i have now......and as they say " one is already a failure if one never tries"
i dont want to be that.....

Hi everyone!

hey congratttssssssssssss....really happy fr u..

Congratulations Xactreality !!! I am really happy for you, your dedication has paid off :) I hope Huggies and Ninety get the score they are expecting too :)

Hi everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent Post there Ninety. very well organized. Thanks for your efforts and Best Luck for your scores.

Back again;)

i am going to divide my post into 2 parts: Exam and Preparation
well, i will talk now about exam and what i have experianced since i may forgot later on=)

IMPORTANT: for the seek of clarification, i will use examples to explain some points regarding new format, But these are not necessarily REAL EXAM Q, to avoid any dilemma with ethics and regulations:)

OUTLINE:
the exam was divided into 2 parts, each consists of 200 Q
of the 400 Qs there are = 80 Qs of testlets or case senario related + 320 Qs of direct multiple choice Q

the testlet Qs were at the end of the first part and begining of the second part

time was sufficient to finsih questions and review some marked Qs for most people, but for me i almost finsihed on time or ended up with 2 more minutes because of 2 reasons
1- i dont want to go through questions again since the 1st answere is almost always the best answere you can reach
2- when i see i have plenty of time, i go more slowely to concentrate on the tricky question more (but not more than 1 minute each)

CONTENT:
1- Unfortunately, the exam new format is totally different than the previous versions, including the released ones

2- although questions are very short (one line or even half a sentance!) and look easy, they are not!

3- they are tricky in a way that one word in the question may change the first answere choice that just passed through your mind

e.g. proximal view V.s. proximal contacts

4- also, they use the language sometimes to confuse you

e.g. proximal views of lower anteriors is wedged (or triangular)!

5- surprisingly, there is no much technical words in the exam to the extent that make you feel that even lay people can solve and this is an advantage and disadvantage at the same time

e.g. Advantage: when they asks you about the general class of an important substrate (lets say glucogenic compounds such as proteins carbs but not lipids) instead of asking the very exact name of the FA (Palmitate), so you dont have to remeber exact names but you should have the whole picture in your mind
Disadvantage: sometimes this general description prevents you from knowing what the examiner is really testing you on, so you got lost easily (Carbohydrate metabolism V.s. glycolysis/PFK) or you wont know what exact area is being tested (Physio V.s. Bio)

6- repeated questions were almost 20 or 25, i cant remember exact number but these were the questions repeated letter by letter; however, other questions were testing similar areas tested by released exams

e.g. if in a released exam you had a Q about structures superior to hyoglossus mm, in new format you may have a Q about structures deep to hyoglossus mm

7- general description of exam Q:
Bio: very few questions asking about certain names of enzymes or substrates, majority are blended with other questions
Physio: hard, tricky, and sometimes uses words to mislead you (e.g. when Nerve/Muscle is being tested, it may be mentioned that masster muscle is ...etc while choices are concerned with nerve/mm)
Micro: i didnt feel there much exam questions on micro, and didnt remeber any question regarding a specific name of bacteria/toxin except for 2-4 Qs
Patho: whatever material you read, it tests your general understanding of the material rather than specific names of tests/pathohisto/..etc
DA: the hardest part, most of questions concentrated on proximal contacts and cuspal ridges and very few on general morphology
Anatomy: if you memorized it and visulaized word by word, you should be ok, since either it is asking about a straightforward info or asking about localization of structures (structure A is deep to/lateral to/penetrating through..etc)

General tips for exam:
a- the day before the exam have a good sleep and dont ruin a long peroid of study and tiredness because of some info here and there

b- the best way to measure your study effectiveness is to do couple of exams once you finish each part (so that you know where you are deficient and conentrate on/read more) and dont delay this to last 1-2 weeks since you may freak out and be surprised with things you didnt expect

c- try to know why you got a mistake insted of memorizing Q, since the same info may repeat in another format in the real exam

d- THE EXAM DEPENDS ON INFO YOU HAD IN THE DENTAL SCHOOL, SO WHATEVER YOU PREPARE FOR THE EXAM SHOULD BE A REFRESHMENT UNLESS YOU DECIDE TO GO FOR A MINIMUM OF 6 MONTHS STUDY PEROID

and i hope this was a sufficient overview of the exam and i will be back later on to answere questions, if any, and continue with the second part, Preparation materials for those who are interested, but now i should go to sleep since tom. i will strat my vacation by a trip;)

yours, Ninety

All ,

My exam is in November and I am wondering how much score is good on the previous ASDA Exams. Like is 85/100 on previous exams is good enough to say we can get good score in current pattern? Any inputs.

xactreality, congratulations! you made it friend and wish you all the best in your career :)

also i feel i belong to this thread and i wish my grade will be nice enough to be posted!

aspirantDDS you are welcome :)

Hi everyone!

hey...
congrats!!! thats a great score.I had been following this thread and gud to see ur hard work paid off.:thumbup:

All ,

My exam is in November and I am wondering how much score is good on the previous ASDA Exams. Like is 85/100 on previous exams is good enough to say we can get good score in current pattern? Any inputs.

Hi,
when I began practicing the old exams I used to score around 75/100 on each section, then the more exams I practiced the better I got, but till the day of the exam I was still getting like 85/100 in some sections and that to be honest made me worry, but everything turned out to be ok, coz on the exam day u will be more concentrated and u will do ur best, and all the effort u've been making will defnitaley pay off. so try not to stress about it now, just concentrate on gathering as much info as possible and revise.
good luck :)

hey xactreality
congrats on ur score......Can u plz tell me which books did u study from??
my exam is in july..so tell me how did u devide last days for each subject?
I prepared anatomy from head n neck snell, kaplan review book for upper limb, shoulder n abs,and cns......I didnt get the chance to get acland videos so is that ok or i should get it coz in ur email u mention they ask qs abt relations of structure?? I also have another problem i forget stuff from decks.....so worried
plz guide me

Congratulations xactreality for your score. I wish you a lot of success and thank you for your very helpful posts. Good luck!

hey xactreality
congrats on ur score......Can u plz tell me which books did u study from??
my exam is in july..so tell me how did u devide last days for each subject?
I prepared anatomy from head n neck snell, kaplan review book for upper limb, shoulder n abs,and cns......I didnt get the chance to get acland videos so is that ok or i should get it coz in ur email u mention they ask qs abt relations of structure?? I also have another problem i forget stuff from decks.....so worried
plz guide me

I prefer to read from one source only, and mine was Kaplan lecture notes. I also read the 06-07 decks and ASDA exams.
I didn't devide specific days for specific subjects, I used to read few chapters from each section everyday, so I studied all the sections simultaneousley. I was taking notes from the book and decks for all the info that I thought I might forget and all the small details, I took notes from the ASDA exams too(all the new info and the questions that I answered incorrectly).
in the last 3 days, I only read my own notes, this helped me revise all of the important info in a concentrated way and saved time and helped me rememeber the small details right before the exam.
and yes, there were so many questions in anatomy of head and neck, and this section honestly is not well covered in Kaplan book, but I had to stick to my plan because I didnt have the time to go through extra stuff. I'm sorry I can't answer u about the books and the lectures u mentioned because I didn't use any of them, so I have no idea!

hope this helps!

xactreality...i have been following your posts for quite some time now...i really admire you for your dedication towards your goal....even in the circumstances you had to give the exam in.....
honestly....it has given me some hope i believe you studied 6 weeks before the exam.... i have been studying for some time and i just lost that momentum in which i started, over time....i just got too saturated and i stopped studying all together i started believing i cant do it.....but now i feel maybe i do have some chance considering that my exam is in 4 weeks and i have already gone thru the kaplan book, decks and q papers before.....i am going to start again now.... i cant get back the time i wasted but i can try to utilize whatever i have now......and as they say " one is already a failure if one never tries"
i dont want to be that.....

u r absolutely right...and I'm positive that u can do it...u still have time...good luck :thumbup:

For those who want to know, I finally got my score and it's 91.

I'm happy that the wait is finally over. Good luck to all those who are getting ready to write it, or waiting for the results. It's an interesting process...

next, tune in for part II :eek: (but not until next year):)

Hey Huggies,
Congrats yaar...:cool:I think u r not happy with ur score.That's fine..It is a very good score still.May be u have hoped for a better score...Don't worry , you will become a great Pedodontist, that's all u need, not the scores.Congrats on a great score................

I'm happy that the wait is finally over. Good luck to all those who are getting ready to write it, or waiting for the results. It's an interesting process...

hey huggiesss

congrtsssss....:claps:....why u nt sounding happy...such an awesome score..let me do the dance fr u:banana:....

good luck and keep in touch wth sdn as i will be bombarding u wth my questions till im dne wth my xam....:)

congrats huggies on your score i am really happy for you.... frankly the only two threads i followed was yours and xacreality religiously
:) do stay on this thread we guys really need you both for random on and off advice...

WOW... finally!

congrats huggies for this nice grade and if you are not happy with it just imagine it as 92-1=91 :)

and lets pray for me since mailing grades to my home country takes longer time :(

Congratulations Huggies on your great score !!! I would be dancing if I am able to get 91 :banana:. We dance for you :)
I am sure you will be a great Pediatric Dentist. Remember, the schools don't look only at the board score, they look for a lot of personal qualities and interpersonal skills in the applicants, I am sure they will see that you have them and a lot more !!!

Way to go :luck:

Thanks guys, don't get me wrong, I do realize that this is a great score, it's just not the score I was hoping for or working towards.

Last edited:
congratulations to all who got their scores!!!:)
I just took the test yesterday. I had kind of the same experience as xactreality, the test seemed really easy with some (about 2 or 3) questions weird to me, but overall the questions were straigh forward. What worries me now is that i made mistakes on the easiest questions :eek:and i really dont know what i'm going to get now:confused:. Besides this the good news for all of you who didnt take the test yet is that is easier that previous tests and that means that all of you can pass it if you keep studying and get done with all your reading material. I will post when i get my score. :luck:. Good luck for everybody.!!

congratulations to all who got their scores!!!:)
I just took the test yesterday. I had kind of the same experience as xactreality, the test seemed really easy with some (about 2 or 3) questions weird to me, but overall the questions were straigh forward. What worries me now is that i made mistakes on the easiest questions :eek:and i really dont know what i'm going to get now:confused:. Besides this the good news for all of you who didnt take the test yet is that is easier that previous tests and that means that all of you can pass it if you keep studying and get done with all your reading material. I will post when i get my score. :luck:. Good luck for everybody.!!
Hi dentimax,can u throw some light on the pathology section in the exam especially the systemic pathology,like is it way too detailed?is it true that they are focusing more on general pathology rather than systmic path?
plz reply asap

Congrats Huggies thats a gr8 score:thumbup:

Hi,
when I began practicing the old exams I used to score around 75/100 on each section, then the more exams I practiced the better I got, but till the day of the exam I was still getting like 85/100 in some sections and that to be honest made me worry, but everything turned out to be ok, coz on the exam day u will be more concentrated and u will do ur best, and all the effort u've been making will defnitaley pay off. so try not to stress about it now, just concentrate on gathering as much info as possible and revise.
good luck :)
Congrats xactreality ur hard work has paid off :thumbup:

Hi thermoseal,
I'd say both, gral and systemic, high yield clinical vignettes which would be really helpful for testlets, clinical manifestations for diseases, there are some specific names that if you dont know what causes it and clinical manif. would be hard to get right all your answers , in gral path know sources, action , regulation. All questions are mixed up, testlets at the end of the first session, and the end of the second session.

Hi thermoseal,
I'd say both, gral and systemic, high yield clinical vignettes which would be really helpful for testlets, clinical manifestations for diseases, there are some specific names that if you dont know what causes it and clinical manif. would be hard to get right all your answers , in gral path know sources, action , regulation. All questions are mixed up, testlets at the end of the first session, and the end of the second session.
Thanx for ur prompt response.I did like to ask u one more ques - how did u prepare for the patho section like from which source?and can u give a picture about the other subjects too.

oops!! 2nd session testlets are at the beginning.:) patho: pocket companion Robbins-Cotran, excellent source (at least for me) for review of basics, if you have time you can refer to the main source Path Robbins., also decks, and usmle and kaplan review but only as reference. On the test only one was for me a disease i didnt hear of before, the other ones are the ones we all took at the school, common diseases mentioned in dentistry at all the times.
About the test, (other subjects) anat: important Head & neck, biochem &physio hms,resp.,bone, micro: organisms, aerobic,anae, DA, basics: antomy,contacts proximal, heigh contours.
Hope this helps!:)

hey dentimax

when u say high yield clinical vignettes, do u mean underground clinical vignettes which there fr usmle?

hi goyal, :)
Usmle is a good source to learn more stuff, if you have time..I use it just for reference, it goes, i think , a little bit to far for Nbde. Your main source besides decks that also have clinical vignettes (but not so much) is Robbins. You can find kind of typo questions on review of patho Robbins to have an idea of the clinical questions. I've been using pocket companion Robbins where they sumarize all the diseases and go to the point along with decks., and for reference Usmle clinical and Robbins the big book. The key is: dont get overwhelmed with too much books, for nbde, believe it or not, dont need it. Review all the main diseases we "always talk about in dentistry", signs, symptoms, clinical manifestations, read vignettes on decks and/or Robbins review(to be familiar with type of questions) and use other books just for references.

hey dentimax

when u say high yield clinical vignettes, do u mean underground clinical vignettes which there fr usmle?

i am equally confused....my frd sent me the link of soe high yeild questions for bchem and micro i felt they were pretty tough

@Ninety

Hi buddy, Din't u get your score yet? Hope you get good score too, Good luck !!!!!

hey xactreality
thanks for your reply....can u plz tell me was there qs regarding oral patho like white lesions ...cancers, tooth anomolies etc. do u think there is need to study oral patho for topic like these or just superfacial is enough.

and what about chemotherapy, radiations, drugs?? was there qs about these topics detail like there side effects, mode of action??
u said u read from kaplan so did u just read the notes or u also did qs at the end of each chapter in usmle kaplan lecture notes...i am asking coz some of these are graph based and i feel like important for usmle not 4 nbde ???
wht u think??

hey xactreality
thanks for your reply....can u plz tell me was there qs regarding oral patho like white lesions ...cancers, tooth anomolies etc. do u think there is need to study oral patho for topic like these or just superfacial is enough.

and what about chemotherapy, radiations, drugs?? was there qs about these topics detail like there side effects, mode of action??
u said u read from kaplan so did u just read the notes or u also did qs at the end of each chapter in usmle kaplan lecture notes...i am asking coz some of these are graph based and i feel like important for usmle not 4 nbde ???
wht u think??

Hi,
Personally, I don't think that there is a need for any details in the topics u mentioned. some of the clinical testlets did test some pathology info but in a very basic way.
I read the Kaplan Lecture notes for NBDE not for USMLE, it doesn't have questions after each chapter. I had a chance to take a look at the USMLE one though, I agree, most of the questions are not for NBDE.

ya, i got my score..

it is 87! i aimed at 90 but unfortunately i got -3 grades

anyway, i am still happy of not getting low 80s and now it is time for NBDE II

best wishes for all and i more than glad to answere any Q, if any =)

dr37: thanks for your feelings :)

Congratulations ninety :) Good Luck with part 2 and application process.

I have my exm in 4 weeks.. :eek:

do anyone have a explanations to the answer key of 2004 pilot exams.....plz upload, I really need it urgently!!!

Hi, I am new in this thread. My exam is in next 4 weeks.Please advice me because I am really stressed as I have not finished of the theory yet. I practiced few passed exam and just getting 50-60%.

thanks

ya, i got my score..

it is 87! i aimed at 90 but unfortunately i got -3 grades

anyway, i am still happy of not getting low 80s and now it is time for NBDE II

best wishes for all and i more than glad to answere any Q, if any =)

dr37: thanks for your feelings :)

hey ninety

congratulationssss....good wrk! and now good luck fr part II:thumbup: