Is Average MCAT Score on AAMCS a better predictor or Average of AAMC 10 + 11?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnyFlower288

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am debating on changing my test date because while my average is ok, my last two practices were :(

What do y'all think about the above question? Which one did your score better match?

Members don't see this ad.

I am kind of confused on what this question is asking. You scored low on both but the average of each score was high?

My overall AAMC average is something that I'm okay with. It is not low or high. However, test 10 and 11 are what brought the average down. I know they are the most recent so I am wondering if I should look at the average of 10 and 11 for a better indicator of where I stand or the overall average of the AAMCs.

Members don't see this ad :)
My overall AAMC average is something that I'm okay with. It is not low or high. However, test 10 and 11 are what brought the average down. I know they are the most recent so I am wondering if I should look at the average of 10 and 11 for a better indicator of where I stand or the overall average of the AAMCs.

You need to identify WHY you did worse on 10 & 11. If you did [relatively] poorly (<30) on BOTH tests, it might be a good idea to postpone (if you want US MD). If your overall average is not 30+ and you want to go MD, you might want to postpone. If you are breaking 26-28 consistently and are ok w/ DO and have at least a 3.5 GPA, you're probably good to go (for DO). If your GPA is <3.5, your MCAT needs will increase (perhaps by around 1 MCAT point per 1/10 GPA point below 3.5). If your GPA is >3.6, you can probably afford about 1 MCAT point per 1/10 GPA above 3.6.

This is way too specific for anyone to really say...but I would think the higher the sample size the better predictor. I wouldn't be freaking out just because those two were your lowest.

However, were those tests lower because of questions that may be more specific to more recent tests? Perhaps your bio score was lower and the questions you got wrong were molecular and genetics oriented? Then it might be something to worry about. It's something to look at and consider but as I said I would trust more tests over more recent tests.

you can plug these results into a mathematical algorithm where the most weight is given to the most recent test. Think of a graph with test weight on the ordinate and how recent you took it on the abscissa. This graph is logarithmicly increasing to the right, so the most weight is given to recent tests, but old tests are still important. So, most recent test has weight of .40, 2nd oldest .33, 3rd oldest .20 etc. etc. Sum those up to get the best estimate of current average.

you can plug these results into a mathematical algorithm where the most weight is given to the most recent test. Think of a graph with test weight on the ordinate and how recent you took it on the abscissa. This graph is logarithmicly increasing to the right, so the most weight is given to recent tests, but old tests are still important. So, most recent test has weight of .40, 2nd oldest .33, 3rd oldest .20 etc. etc. Sum those up to get the best estimate of current average.

hahaha... I suppose OP could go use the MCAT estimator and see what it says s/he should aim for and such.