Is Biochem useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaider

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is taking Biochem useful for the MCAT? I know there's a bit of biochem on the exam, but should I worry about taking Biochem before I take the MCAT?

I'm taking Biochem right now, but wonder if I should be using that time to study more for the MCAT instead.

Members don't see this ad.

Jaider said:
Is taking Biochem useful for the MCAT? I know there's a bit of biochem on the exam, but should I worry about taking Biochem before I take the MCAT?

I'm taking Biochem right now, but wonder if I should be using that time to study more for the MCAT instead.

Thanks for your input so far... :laugh:

Tomorrow's my deadline to drop the class. Gotta do some soul-searching in the next few hours, I guess.

Jaider said:

I'm taking Biochem now too. Whether or not you should stick with it will depend on how much of it was covered in your introductory bio or organic sequence. That being said, I don't see how it would hurt taking it for the MCAT, and from what I've heard it'll help you out greatly in med school as well.

biochem helps in going into greater detail of everything you learned in bio I and II. I don't think it is necessary unless you are weak in BS or have not taken bio in many years.
Any biochem on the exam is something that can be answered with Orgo I and II or Bio I and II.

There is anumber of threads on how useful biochem may be for med school you may want to look up.

Members don't see this ad :)
HunterGatherer said:
biochem helps in going into greater detail of everything you learned in bio I and II. I don't think it is necessary unless you are weak in BS or have not taken bio in many years.
Any biochem on the exam is something that can be answered with Orgo I and II or Bio I and II.

There is anumber of threads on how useful biochem may be for med school you may want to look up.

not really. only some michalis-menton stuff that you can learn from prep books

hmm... said:
not really. only some michalis-menton stuff that you can learn from prep books

Thanks for all the feedback. You guys rock.