Is BME a good major for MSTP/MD-PhD programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Macromind101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a bit of my background: I am currently working in a biotechnology-concentrated research lab and I absolutely love it. I enjoy learning about new biotechnology concepts and doing research which makes me confident that an MSTP/MD-PhD program is right for me. Currently, I am a freshman in undergrad and I am double-majoring in Physiology and Neuroscience. However, I was considering switching out one of those majors (likely Neuroscience) for BME (Biomedical Engineering) because I want to be exposed to the technology and research applications of basic science and medicine through my major and classes as well. So I was wondering if this is a good idea based on my passion for biotechnology and research as well as my career goal in an MD-PhD dual degree.

Members don't see this ad.

Study what you love and am most passionate about, but from what ice seen in posts on here is BME can often have very harsh curves so be careful to not destroy your GPA.

Here's a bit of my background: I am currently working in a biotechnology-concentrated research lab and I absolutely love it. I enjoy learning about new biotechnology concepts and doing research which makes me confident that an MSTP/MD-PhD program is right for me. Currently, I am a freshman in undergrad and I am double-majoring in Physiology and Neuroscience. However, I was considering switching out one of those majors (likely Neuroscience) for BME (Biomedical Engineering) because I want to be exposed to the technology and research applications of basic science and medicine through my major and classes as well. So I was wondering if this is a good idea based on my passion for biotechnology and research as well as my career goal in an MD-PhD dual degree.

Do it as long as your GPA can remain intact.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: I looked over my four-year plan and discovered that it will be really difficult (if not impossible) to graduate in four years if I decide to go with the BME major. And plus, the engineering program at my school isn't that great and I have yet to meet an engineering major student who has another major (although a few have a minor or two). So I decided not to go with it. But thanks for the advice guys!

Update: I looked over my four-year plan and discovered that it will be really difficult (if not impossible) to graduate in four years if I decide to go with the BME major. And plus, the engineering program at my school isn't that great and I have yet to meet an engineering major student who has another major (although a few have a minor or two). So I decided not to go with it. But thanks for the advice guys!

I was a dual degree in BME and neuro. Did it in four hellish years.

Unless you intend to do any hardcore math/programming/etc type work I wouldn't worry about being limited in research options. But go with what you enjoy and you'll figure it out. Neuro is a good field too. Keep the GPA up.