Is CHEM II a prereq for ORG I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if CHEM I and CHEM II sequence before enrolling in ORG I normally? If this is true, how can I complete the prereqs in a year, only having Spring, Summer, and Fall? By the time I do Chem I in Spring, Chem II in Summer, I only have 1 sem left for Org I. Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is. At my school we take them in this order: Chem I, Orgo I, Orgo II, Chem II. So I think you're in the clear. Good luck!

gsd said:
Can someone tell me if CHEM I and CHEM II sequence before enrolling in ORG I normally? If this is true, how can I complete the prereqs in a year, only having Spring, Summer, and Fall? By the time I do Chem I in Spring, Chem II in Summer, I only have 1 sem left for Org I. Thanks so much in advance.

Some schools offer three seperate sessions for summer classes (May, June, July). If you can find one that offers Chem II in the first session, and the organic sequence in the following two then it is possible to do what you are saying. However, I highly doubt you will be fortunate enough to find any college that does this. Your best option is probably to take the gen chem sequence in the summer and then the orgo sequence in the fall and spring. It will take an extra semester, but this shouldn't prevent you from starting med school any later than you originally planned.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on your school. Some pre-reqs are different than others.

I don't know about other schools, but in Southern California at UC Riverside you can take the entire ochem sequence during summer, if you have the cajones to do that. So you could finish gen chem during the regular school year and in summer bust out ochem.