Is choosing an engineering school for UG a bad move on my part?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really interested in applying to a number of schools but one of which that really caught my eye was Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. I am not into engineering but I was wondering that if I went there I would have a chance at medical school.

People have said it doesn't matter where you go, and I agree but shouldn't you go to a school that is like...idk...a state school and have a variety of majors and maybe a law school, med school, etc.? Wouldn't it just make it that much easier.

Heres the bottom line. I'm really just looking for advice on this. I don't want to end up going to Embry and get rejected from every med school just because I went to an engineering school instead.

Some schools I am considering:

University of Maryland
Penn State
West Virginia University
University of Louisville
University of Kentucky

Members don't see this ad.

I am really interested in applying to a number of schools but one of which that really caught my eye was Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. I am not into engineering but I was wondering that if I went there I would have a chance at medical school.
What makes you think you wouldn't have a chance at medical school if you studied engineering? Are you under the impression that medical schools refuse to admit engineering majors or something? Dude, common sense.

Your choice of major has pretty much nothing to do with your chances at medical school. Your performance in pre-med classes and the MCAT, on the other hand...

People have said it doesn't matter where you go, and I agree but shouldn't you go to a school that is like...idk...a state school and have a variety of majors and maybe a law school, med school, etc.? Wouldn't it just make it that much easier.

Heres the bottom line. I'm really just looking for advice on this. I don't want to end up going to Embry and get rejected from every med school just because I went to an engineering school instead.

Some schools I am considering:

University of Maryland
Penn State
West Virginia University
University of Louisville
University of Kentucky

It doesn't really matter where you go to school or in what you major, as long as you do well, as Terpskins99 said.

You may hate it there since you're not interested in engineering and either 1) end up transferring early or 2) doing poorly and really screwing up your GPA. The latter is a good way to kill hopes of med school.

Go wherever you want. Study whatever you want. And since things change, you may even decide not to go to med school. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Caution has to be taken when studying engineering. It is suggested that forms of engineering (mechanical, chemical, biomedical) are some of the "hardest" majors. A lot of people do well, but a lot don't. Having a disinterest in engineering from the get-go is not going to help you mentally or academically. You may very well end up miserable and with a poor GPA. Embry-Riddle is a great school. However, if its location (beach) is what appeals to you, pick another beach school such as Miami.

I wouldn't major in engineering if you're not actually interested in it and I definately wouldn't go to an engineering school if you're not actually into engineering.

I love Penn State; it's awesome. My granddad went there... for engineering I think, lol. I haven't heard much about the other schools but most state schools are similar... I would make sure I applied to some smaller state schools as well and some private, just incase my tastes changed and fallbacks and stuff...

I wouldn't do engineering unless you're thinking about going into engineering... it seems like a bit of a waste of time and money, plus it probably doesn't cover all of the pre-reqs for med school either.

Im pretty sure some of the schools you listed there are not "Engineering Schools"...but a school that i loved got accepted to but could not afford, Stevens Institute of Technology, in Hoboken,NJ....would be a SMART choice if your going into medical school. I have a personal belief that engineering schools prepare you better in sciences than liberal arts schools. I mean ofcourse its just my opinion but a lot of them do have high acceptance rates. Plus Stevens (if you apply) has a good pathway for Pre-Med students and i think there affiliated with UMDNJ

Also im sure going to an engineering school doesnt mean your major has to be engineering.

And your point is...? That doesn't matter. That is why your electives are usually the premedical prereqs. (This is true for engineering/non-science majors at my university.) And FYI, chemical and biological/biomedical engineering usually covers the prereqs for medical school.

If you took all of your engineering pre-reqs and then medical pre-reqs on top of that it would be pretty stressful... especially taking classes like 'thermodynamics' and 'calc III' on top of organic chemistry. You also wouldn't have much time to do other random electives that interest you. I'm just saying it's not something I would really enjoy doing... especially if I was already set on medicine.

If your major is Biomedical engineering that's a whole different ball game; most engineering schools are extremely math based though... not much chemistry or biology.

Pssst, wanna know a secret?

engineering classes have been some of my hardest material-wise. They've also been the most lenient grades-wise. I don't know if the profs just figure that you're there because you want to learn or if they want to give you slack for fighting through all the pre-reqs and the difficulty of the course, but they just seem like they WANT you to pass.

And yes, I go to a science/engineering school

That certainly wasn't the case at UNC. My classes were absurdly hard and had no grade leniency at all outside of using a normal curve.

As I mentioned in my post that got nuked in the server mess, I can't think of any "engineering schools" that don't also have excellent programs for the other sciences. Your med school pre-reqs will seem like a walk in the park compared to the engineering curriculum, but they'll still be quite rigorous.