Is cost all that matters? Rutgers vs. FDU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMSIDK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I live in NJ and I am deciding between Rutgers and FDU. The FDU class schedule is much more forgiving but Rutgers is cheaper. I don't mind spending more money to have a more convenient schedule, but Rutgers is a more established school.

Anyone have any input?

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to make you aware pharmacy school is tough, it's not easy and a lot of people come into pharmacy school thinking it is. I just need to get that out. It is a lot of blood tears and sweat. I came from an engineering school before coming to this school and felt that FDU was very hard. I have seen such smart people not do well because they set up their curriculum that doesn't make sense. Thats one thing that really threw me off. In our first semester, you take pharm science which is a mix of medicinal chemistry and pharmacokinetics, patho/gene/micro, physical pharmacy, calculations I, medical communication, health care delivery, pharmacy law, and curriculum(just a bs class if you ask me). Pharmacokinetics do continue into your spring semester but the way they have it set up is just stupid. It changed for the class of 2021. Alot of the professors can't teach and about 12 failed pharm science because of PK. It was bad. The thing is I passed but you have to put in alot of effort to pass in order to balance physical pharmacy because it is a challenging class and the professor does not care about the students whatsoever. I went to this guy's office with effort in studying and he showed me but always had an attitude.

Rutgers is such a good school but I heard their students were stressed out too. It does not matter which school you decide to choose from. FDU is hella expensive and I get what you are saying for a convenient schedule. Most of the time you have time to study but keep in mind you do not have to attend every class. See I wouldn't. I will try to get the notes from someone and study since you want a convenient schedule. I believe you can be successful at either school. Did you graduate college with a degree? Cuz If you didn't FDU will be challenging and hard for you. There was a few people that left this year. If you are taking out loans make sure you will do well at the school. I heard people that left FDU and went to another pharmacy program and was very successful. It depends on what works for you. That's my input.

This is very general advice so take what you will. If you plan to go into retail then generally it doesn't matter where you went to school as long as you have a degree in hand, hence go with the cheapest option. If you want to go non-retail (hospital/clinical/industry/etc) then IMO an established school with connections in these areas is going to be preferred.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I’m from Texas. That being said, Rutgers has an incredibly established program and is known nationwide. They also have enviable industry connections. Definitely something to consider. Also, every time I thought a semester would be “light”, if almost kicked my tail. It will always be worse than you think and it won’t be better until you graduate and land a job.

OP go to Rutgers they have established connections versus FDU