Is Couples Match between U Chicago and Northwestern doable logistically?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugger4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My SO and I are couples matching and she has an interview at U Chicago and I have one at Northwestern. Problem is it appears her specialty is done sending out interviews at NW and she did not receive one. Are these two programs close enough that we could still get by living together? We're really not looking to go anywhere where we will be separated so I'm trying to see if these interviews will be worth attending.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My SO and I are couples matching and she has an interview at U Chicago and I have one at Northwestern. Problem is it appears her specialty is done sending out interviews at NW and she did not receive one. Are these two programs close enough that we could still get by living together? We're really not looking to go anywhere where we will be separated so I'm trying to see if these interviews will be worth attending.
Google maps is a crazy thing. Yeah you could live in the middle. UC is on the south side and NW is up north a ways. If you lived in the middle you could realistically have 20 min each commute depending on how you do it. Highly recommend not driving though

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Google maps is a crazy thing. Yeah you could live in the middle. UC is on the south side and NW is up north a ways. If you lived in the middle you could realistically have 20 min each commute depending on how you do it. Highly recommend not driving though
Yes, I have google mapped it, but I am not from nor have ever been to Chicago so I don't know the feasibility of living there.

Yes, I have google mapped it, but I am not from nor have ever been to Chicago so I don't know the feasibility of living there.
I figured you weren't, and I am, so that's why I went on to answer your question...don't take anonymous online forums too seriously. Get a ventra card for the L and live in somewhere like Lincoln park close to the Red line and you'll be okay. Good luck, pretty awesome you two have great programs lined up

Reactions: 1 users
Chicago native, and you'll be totally fine! Northwestern hospital is actually downtown, it's not with the main campus up at Evanston. If you live in the south loop (a bit expensive, but a small apartment on 2 residents salaries is totally doable) you'll be about 15 minutes off campus by car, she'll be about 15 minutes away by train (a super convenient commute, actually).

Disagree strongly with the anti-car recommendation though. UChicago is actually kind of difficult to get to by public transportation. There's a bus that runs from the city, but the times on it probably wouldn't work with a resident's schedule. The El doesn't run very close.

Reactions: 1 user