Is dental school a fun?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For sure - I will definately make sure that the next 4 years are some of the best of my life

Members don't see this ad.

well said. i'm glad i didn't haven't any of you wimps in afghanistan with me. i think you probably would have gotten the soap in pillowcase beating. i'm looking forward to dental school. just finishing pharmacy school now. it could always be a lot harder so enjoy yourself kinks!

:cool:

One of our clinical faculty members was a dentist in Vietnam in the mid to late 60s. He spent half of his time there sleeping in a tent dodging the insects... and despite this, he has said repeatedly that his nightmares today are from dental school, not Vietnam.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of our clinical faculty members was a dentist in Vietnam in the mid to late 60s. He spent half of his time there sleeping in a tent dodging the insects... and despite this, he has said repeatedly that his nightmares today are from dental school, not Vietnam.

I was just talking to a friend of mine who has spent 2 out of the last 3 years in Iraq flying helicopters in the Army, and he said life is harder now that he is back trying to open his own business. It surprised me because he HATED being in Iraq with a passion.

I'm not belittling your experience in Afghanistan, I'm sure it was rough and I definitely don't envy anyone over there. But there are many different types of challenges in life. Wait at least until after you have done it to start calling people names.

I was just talking to a friend of mine who has spent 2 out of the last 3 years in Iraq flying helicopters in the Army, and he said life is harder now that he is back trying to open his own business. It surprised me because he HATED being in Iraq with a passion.

I'm not belittling your experience in Afghanistan, I'm sure it was rough and I definitely don't envy anyone over there. But there are many different types of challenges in life. Wait at least until after you have done it to start calling people names.

Was this response directed towards my post? This is the first I've posted on this thread.

If you want to make accusations, that's your own right, but make sure you direct them at the correct person.

Either he had a very rough time in dental school or his tour in vietnam was very cushy.:confused:

Was this response directed towards my post? This is the first I've posted on this thread.

If you want to make accusations, that's your own right, but make sure you direct them at the correct person.

Calm down, I was agreeing with your post. It was directed at the same post your's was.

thank goodness for good ole ethanol...

Your point is poorly put, but a point none-the-less. Reminds me of this perfect study break video. Some of you have probably seen it before. Feeling Stressed? Study break! The whole thing is good, but if you want the Cliff Notes version, check out 6:00-6:33.

Here is the intro my classmate sent out with the link "This is a video from a professor who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and has months to live......he gave his last lecture to his students and then Oprah invited him to give it one last time.

I know everyone has been consumed by dental school (and its hard not to be), therefore, I thought this might help us all to ground ourselves once again with the perspective of what is truly important in life."

If you live right, your dreams will come true. That's a great line from the video. For all of, you that have posted that school is the worst thing ever, shame on you. I understand that there are difficult things to be done in life, like the 4 years of D-school, but there always is a need to take the high road. Especially when you're an example to students about to start school like myself. You may say something like I haven't even started and have no clue how D-school is like but I think that's irrelevant. Work hard. STAY HAPPY. Life will always treat you positively (not an icepick in the ____).

If you live right, your dreams will come true. That's a great line from the video. For all of, you that have posted that school is the worst thing ever, shame on you. I understand that there are difficult things to be done in life, like the 4 years of D-school, but there always is a need to take the high road. Especially when you're an example to students about to start school like myself. You may say something like I haven't even started and have no clue how D-school is like but I think that's irrelevant. Work hard. STAY HAPPY. Life will always treat you positively (not an icepick in the ____).

You haven't been there yet. We don't expect you to understand.

And we're not saying it's the worst fate imaginable, because it's not. But don't be expecting cotton candy, pony rides, and sunshine.

And we're not saying it's the worst fate imaginable, because it's not. But don't be expecting cotton candy, pony rides, and sunshine.

Ahh crap....

But that's what they promised me at my interviews!

And I'll quote myself, "You may say something like I haven't even started and have no clue how D-school is like but I think that's irrelevant. Work hard. STAY HAPPY. Life will always treat you positively (not an icepick in the ____)." I never said anything about my local fairgrounds (cotton candy, pony rides, sunshine) describing D-school. I was just saying that I think describing any challenge in life the way most of the active students have doesn't help at all. Hopefully, I'll still have this POV after my first year. :confused:

has nothing to do with pony rides and cotton candy. Its all puppy dogs and rainbows... BIG difference.

Dental school sucks sometimes and then you remember why you signed up for it in the first place. There are some good times to be had, but they usually are at the expense of your studies. Good Luck people

Members don't see this ad :)
And I'll quote myself, "You may say something like I haven't even started and have no clue how D-school is like but I think that's irrelevant. Work hard. STAY HAPPY. Life will always treat you positively (not an icepick in the ____)." I never said anything about my local fairgrounds (cotton candy, pony rides, sunshine) describing D-school. I was just saying that I think describing any challenge in life the way most of the active students have doesn't help at all. Hopefully, I'll still have this POV after my first year. :confused:

Naive pre dents shouldn't be pretentious. its annoying. For the record, I enjoy dental school but i don't judge those who don't.

I sincerely hope that those ouf you about to start D school find the experience more enjoyable then I did. I enjoyed my time with great friends outside of school and living in the city was nice when I did have free time. I enjoy going to work everyday now and doing dentistry but it's nothing like dental school thank god. I've heard many of the people who said they loved dental school complain about private practice ironically. They gripe because they feel like there's no sense of accomplishment like acing a test or practical and don't like the rigors of doing dentistry fastpaced in an effort to actually make a decent living. The stresses with dental school were that so much of what you did and studied had so little berring on real world dentistry.

You won't understand what I'm telling you until your in the midst of it. When you 2/3's of the way through 2nd year(which was the worst for most) averaging 4 hours of sleep a night for the entire year trying to finish your lab work while also having 3 exams a week on material that they told you wasn't even on the exam because the ahole teachers assumed you knew the stuff they told you to study, when you get berated in front of your classmates during your rotations by the oral surgeon because you don't remember the number of the forcep to take out #16 because you were up til 3am the night before studing for the biochem test that day, when you go to get your instruments from the unionized $10/hour inner city prep dispense people who forgot to sterilize your instruments you need to use later that day because you're not on their favorites students-list(probably because you don't flirt with them), when you go to pull your charts for the day and the folks in the chart room have a ten minute conversation in front of you before acknowleding you while you only have 5 minutes before clinic starts, when your instructors have you wait in line for 30 minutes to check something because they're off reading a newspaper or working on their research that's more important than you, or like at some schools when you need to graduate and can't get credit for the work you did cause the pt won't pay so you have to cough up hundreds and sometimes thousands to pay for that bridge or denture, when you have to get into school at 5am to claim a chair or faculty coverage for the day as it's first come first serve so you can actually do the work.......... I hope you'll think back to this stupid, little post and say F@#!, that guy was right! It's 4 long years of an ice pick in my A$$. I hope you are able to look past all the crap and reach nirvana unlike me but if you can't just know that you're not alone as most have reached some of the lowest points of their lives while in dental school. Fortunately, it will pass and you will move on to bigger and better things. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst and you will do well. Best of luck.

I sincerely hope that those ouf you about to start D school find the experience more enjoyable then I did. I enjoyed my time with great friends outside of school and living in the city was nice when I did have free time. I enjoy going to work everyday now and doing dentistry but it's nothing like dental school thank god. I've heard many of the people who said they loved dental school complain about private practice ironically. They gripe because they feel like there's no sense of accomplishment like acing a test or practical and don't like the rigors of doing dentistry fastpaced in an effort to actually make a decent living. The stresses with dental school were that so much of what you did and studied had so little berring on real world dentistry.

You won't understand what I'm telling you until your in the midst of it. When you 2/3's of the way through 2nd year(which was the worst for most) averaging 4 hours of sleep a night for the entire year trying to finish your lab work while also having 3 exams a week on material that they told you wasn't even on the exam because the ahole teachers assumed you knew the stuff they told you to study, when you get berated in front of your classmates during your rotations by the oral surgeon because you don't remember the number of the forcep to take out #16 because you were up til 3am the night before studing for the biochem test that day, when you go to get your instruments from the unionized $10/hour inner city prep dispense people who forgot to sterilize your instruments you need to use later that day because you're not on their favorites students-list(probably because you don't flirt with them), when you go to pull your charts for the day and the folks in the chart room have a ten minute conversation in front of you before acknowleding you while you only have 5 minutes before clinic starts, when your instructors have you wait in line for 30 minutes to check something because they're off reading a newspaper or working on their research that's more important than you, or like at some schools when you need to graduate and can't get credit for the work you did cause the pt won't pay so you have to cough up hundreds and sometimes thousands to pay for that bridge or denture, when you have to get into school at 5am to claim a chair or faculty coverage for the day as it's first come first serve so you can actually do the work.......... I hope you'll think back to this stupid, little post and say F@#!, that guy was right! It's 4 long years of an ice pick in my A$$. I hope you are able to look past all the crap and reach nirvana unlike me but if you can't just know that you're not alone as most have reached some of the lowest points of their lives while in dental school. Fortunately, it will pass and you will move on to bigger and better things. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst and you will do well. Best of luck.

Classic post. I haven't hit the clinic yet but the first part of the post was a great description of D2 life. Faculty love to try to make you out to be lazy because you didn't do all your readings before class. Some times I would like to say "You go take my Pharm test you A-hole".:laugh: I guess they think 4 hours of sleep is too much.

I guess its the rite of passage for a student to become a dentist. :scared:

Side note: Am I the only one here who cries a little bit inside when the words "Is dental school a fun?" pop up on their screen?

Side note: Am I the only one here who cries a little bit inside when the words "Is dental school a fun?" pop up on their screen?

No, I don't think you’re the only one. I spend countless minutes trying to decide if the title was supposed to be "Is dental school any fun?" or "Is dental school a fun time?" and then I try to decide which one I would prefer.

But, there are a lot of things concerning grammar and usage on SDN that make me cry. I don’t understand why it is so hard to proof-read or to type out complete words. Sometimes I feel like some people submit their posts through text message – it makes me cringe. It really is not that hard to type. What’s the difference between “R” and “are”? Two letters and a fraction of a second – but one makes you sound like a future health professional and the other makes you sound like a 14 year old girl.

In other news, this thread makes me very happy to have decided to attend Pacific.

I guess its the rite of passage for a student to become a dentist. :scared:

Saying it that way makes it sound like ritual hazing to join the secret fraternal order of "Delta Delta Sigma" (or Delta Mu Delta) but instead of paddling you have waxing.

Saying it that way makes it sound like ritual hazing to join the secret fraternal order of "Delta Delta Sigma" (or Delta Mu Delta) but instead of paddling you have waxing.

From the way some students describe their experience with certain instructors it does seem like it is that. Maybe they got unlucky and had to put up with such professors.

I just want to say that I can't wait until I get to dental school!!!
All these people here saying that dental school is hard and blah blah blah... what did you think you are getting yourself into? You want a career where you spend a lot of time with your family, be your own boss and have a great salary without any sacrifice?
Come on...

Btw pine88... That video is probably one of the best videos I have ever seen.

All these people here saying that dental school is hard and blah blah blah... what did you think you are getting yourself into? You want a career where you spend a lot of time with your family, be your own boss and have a great salary without any sacrifice?
Come on...

I am going to be cautiously optimistic because I'll acknowledge that it is hard and not pretty going to dental school but in the long run it will pay off. Without having experienced it I don't want to come across as a dental student before states, pretentious.

I'm hoping it's fun in a masochistic way, kinda like how it feels when someone is pinching you - you know when they stop it's going to feel so good heh.

Shame on you kid! Someone asks 'Is d school fun' and you don't like the responses, so you blast the people that actually have the experience to backup their claims. No one here wants to be your role model or 'example.' Your illusion of a 'Happy School' isn't real, so don't get mad at the people that point this out to you.

Dental school is like your worst undergraduate finals week, on cocaine, for 3-4 weeks straight, take a weekend off, start over.

No, I don't think you’re the only one. I spend countless minutes trying to decide if the title was supposed to be "Is dental school any fun?" or "Is dental school a fun time?" and then I try to decide which one I would prefer.

But, there are a lot of things concerning grammar and usage on SDN that make me cry. I don’t understand why it is so hard to proof-read or to type out complete words. Sometimes I feel like some people submit their posts through text message – it makes me cringe. It really is not that hard to type. What’s the difference between “R” and “are”? Two letters and a fraction of a second – but one makes you sound like a future health professional and the other makes you sound like a 14 year old girl.

In other news, this thread makes me very happy to have decided to attend Pacific.

I second this post - well said.

I am going to be cautiously optimistic because I'll acknowledge that it is hard and not pretty going to dental school but in the long run it will pay off. Without having experienced it I don't want to come across as a dental student before states, pretentious.

I haven't experience dental school either, but even without having experienced what it is like, we can think or create an image of how important and hard dental school will be from the information we get from our friends in dental school/SDNers. IMO all pre-dental students are pretentious. :p

Ok - so I am the guilty OP that wrote "is dental school a fun" - it was suppose to be "is dental school fun".

So i inserted an "a" where there should be none - big deal

Dental school is actually a lot of fun, although I can only speak for the first 7 months of it, I am really enjoying it so far.

Dental school is actually a lot of fun, although I can only speak for the first 7 months of it, I am really enjoying it so far.

You go to harvard, you dont count. LOL jk

you won't get what i'm saying til your in the midst of the storm. you're too busy 'having fun.' Toothpaste99 also has a good analogy. I'm not sure why I even come on these boards full of bright eyed, bushy tailed naive pre-dents. I think deep down it's because I used to be that way too and it's my therapeutic way of helping someone like myself when I was that innocent age. I'm not trying to scare you, just prepare you. I'm not saying dental school is just hard. I'm saying it's illogical, unfair, subjective, and filled with on necessary BS, unpredicatable,unreliable patients that you need desperately to graduate.... on top of being hard. If it was just a matter of being presented all the material you need and studying it and passing all the tests than yes it would be hard because of all the info... but not mentally debilitating. It's like being stuck in a communist country where there's no justice and those at the helm can do as they please to you without an reprocussions. It takes a little piece of your soul I swear. As I said, I hope your experience is different than mine. If you want to discount those who have gone before you and done it, you know better because you shadowed a dentist for a day and they seemed to have a nice life so be it. Keep swollowing those happy pills... however, save some for dental school because you're gonna need 'em. :)

PS- on a positive note, my first year actually was actually pretty enjoyable but after that it all changed.

Come on...

haha... I think i uttered those sames words before i started... just you wait lol...

i'm in second year right now. The workload is pretty high in terms of studying for exams that we are having every week. if you're not on top of your labs that will obviously become an added stress factor....this semester has been pretty grueling

overall D-school was fun, granted i'm a 3rd year enjoying the "good life". I've only had 2 exams this whole semester aand the rest of the time your just seeing pts, hanging with friends after school, bowling, golfing, celebrating St. Patty's etc.. But the first 2 years did BLOW at times, but you get thru it, you have fun with ETOH after a hard week and forget everything you learned and make friendships that will truly last becuz you've been thru the $h*t together

This should help answer some of your questions about fun:

lol-1.jpg

Sad thing is that isn't even all of them :(

This should help answer some of your questions about fun:

lol-1.jpg

Sad thing is that isn't even all of them :(

The finals schedules that I've seen had at most 2 finals a day. They are frying your brain.

Based upon the preponderance of evidence presented by your peers at other dental schools, KingChris, you are clearly WRONG. That being said...I have been wrong this whole time because I have been having a blast during my 9 or so months of dental school. I rank it among the top 3 years of the last 20 or so years of my life that I can clearly remember.

let me get this right...you have 3 finals everyday for 3 days? HOLY MOLY!

The finals schedules that I've seen had at most 2 finals a day. They are frying your brain.

First Armor...Shame on you for letting out the secret Final Schedule of 3rd quarter hell at Pacific. There is a reason the "current students" portion of our school website is password protected. I am reporting you immediately to Chad for this ethical violation and expect Ben and Lauren and Dr. Peltier will be having a lovely little chat with you in the near future (I'll tell them to schedule it for 1:00pm on Thursday so you won't have time to study for Fixed). We're not suppose to scare potential students away until AFTER we get their non-refundable deposits...how long have you been going to this school that you don't get that yet?

As for the actual schedule. Yeah, 3rd quarter of 1st year isn't the most fun during finals...and Armor is right...there are actually 11 Finals. There is another Final the Monday before those Finals and another Final that didn't fit anywhere into the week, so they're making us take it at the beginning of 4th quarter after our Spring Break....hahaha. But most of the rest of first year is only 2 finals a day for 3 days usually. Bust 2nd year...well, that's a whole other story. 3rd quarter of 2nd year, I think they've only had 2-4 tests all quarter and only have 2 finals on Wednesday and that's it. So there are always bright sides at the end of the long dark tunnel that is this coming week.

you won't get what i'm saying til your in the midst of the storm. you're too busy 'having fun.' Toothpaste99 also has a good analogy. I'm not sure why I even come on these boards full of bright eyed, bushy tailed naive pre-dents. I think deep down it's because I used to be that way too and it's my therapeutic way of helping someone like myself when I was that innocent age. I'm not trying to scare you, just prepare you. I'm not saying dental school is just hard. I'm saying it's illogical, unfair, subjective, and filled with on necessary BS, unpredicatable,unreliable patients that you need desperately to graduate.... on top of being hard. If it was just a matter of being presented all the material you need and studying it and passing all the tests than yes it would be hard because of all the info... but not mentally debilitating. It's like being stuck in a communist country where there's no justice and those at the helm can do as they please to you without an reprocussions. It takes a little piece of your soul I swear. As I said, I hope your experience is different than mine. If you want to discount those who have gone before you and done it, you know better because you shadowed a dentist for a day and they seemed to have a nice life so be it. Keep swollowing those happy pills... however, save some for dental school because you're gonna need 'em. :)

PS- on a positive note, my first year actually was actually pretty enjoyable but after that it all changed.

where did you go to school?

I went to maryland. I almost went to temple as it was in state for me but opted not to. I heard that it's actually worse from a few grads there, if that's possible. There's a lot of fighting for chairspace and a large % of the students end up paying their patient's bills there just to graduate. In hind site, I feel I got a pretty good education. It's just that the politics of it all was mind blowing at times. There was less caddiness for me in high school and this was supposed to be professional school.

I went to maryland. I almost went to temple as it was in state for me but opted not to. I heard that it's actually worse from a few grads there, if that's possible. There's a lot of fighting for chairspace and a large % of the students end up paying their patient's bills there just to graduate. In hind site, I feel I got a pretty good education. It's just that the politics of it all was mind blowing at times. There was less caddiness for me in high school and this was supposed to be professional school.

i've heard similar things from other schools. apparently it's pretty common.

I went to maryland. I almost went to temple as it was in state for me but opted not to. I heard that it's actually worse from a few grads there, if that's possible. There's a lot of fighting for chairspace and a large % of the students end up paying their patient's bills there just to graduate. In hind site, I feel I got a pretty good education. It's just that the politics of it all was mind blowing at times. There was less caddiness :eek::eek:for me in high school and this was supposed to be professional school.

NO, in dental school.

For the pre-dents…before I started dental school I read a lot of condescending remarks from pessimistic dental students making claims that everyone is miserable during these four years and there is no way of getting around it. My first summer selling pest control was more challenging then being at dental school. Serving a two year mission, although one of the best experiences of my life, was many times more challenging for me than dental school. Most of the days I enjoy what I am learning and it is nothing like the horrible and overwhelming experience that I had imagined. Is dental school fun? Answer the following:
  • Do you enjoy learning?
  • Are you a pessimist or an optimist?
  • Do you like working with your hands?
  • Can you manage your time wisely?
  • Can you get a B in a class without freaking out?
There are probably many other questions that I could ask but I think if you can answer yes to most of these than it can and will most likely be an enjoyable experience. So the answer to your question, as we have seen here, is that it depends on who you are asking.

Come on...

I said this too. I still say this. But there will be days when you come home and say "what in God's name was I thinking??" and there will be other days when you can't imagine yourself doing anything but this. In the end, it comes down to what you get out of it. If you don't manage your time and wait until a few days before it's due, then it will kick your butt. If you don't keep on top of reading and wait until the night before the test, you'll get your butt kicked again. If you do both, then you're just toast.

Right now I'm in 2nd year and I'll tell you right now. This semester is an uphill battle. Once you get done with one project for a class, you get to breath for about 5 minutes and then you get another big project due as soon as you hand one in. The only thing you can do is get on top of the work and stay on top of the work, while also taking out time to have a life and some fun.

Last year, I did nothing but stay in and study, stay after school and work. It was miserable and I was miserable, but I was so worried about grades. Once I stopped worrying about getting an A in every class, it became a lot more fun and I started to go out a lot more and have more fun.

So at the end of the day, decide what you can and can't live without. Decide what's important to you and what is worth sacrificing. Manage your time. And those nights when you feel like you'll go insane if you do work, then don't do it. Relax, watch TV or go to bed early. And the secret is to look at everything one week at a time. It's the only way I've survived 2nd year....though I'm not sure how much fun the 20 exams I have until this semester is over is going to be. Oh yeah, and boards.

After that though, it's :hardy: time. So predents, just always remind yourself why you do this and don't let it get to you. Best advice anyone ever gave me. :)

An immediate stress reducer for dental students is being accepting of and even grateful for getting B's and C's. Everyone in dental school is used to getting A's to get into dental school that it's hard for many to shift gears but if you can let go of this mentality, you'll do yourself a great service mentally.

pietro, thanks for the dose of realism.

I feel you guys. I'm a first year pharmacy student and this has been a daily grind. The pharm and dent students take physio and biochem together so we basically suffer together. I like to learn what drugs treat which disease, side effects, effectiveness, etc. However, school is a pain and I can't wait for summer!!