is first aid enough for preparing ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optha

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi , i m a foreign medical graduate from india and am planning ot take step 1 this april . i have looked up review books and have gotthe first aid too . do u think by following the topics and guidelines in first aid i can manage a decent score?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS-2 planning to take step 1 in june. from what I've heard everything you need to know to pass is in First Aid, but if you want to do really well you'll probably need extra sources.

what r the other books apart from first aid then that one could follow . iam doing kaplans organ systems and b-chem from lippincot , microbiology and immunology from jawetz,lange publication . genetics from NMS and pathology from a saunders review.
for the questions i will follow NMS review series .does snells neuroanatomy also have tobe read fully?

First Aid alone isn't enough. The High Yield books are pretty good for supplimental information. I also used the Pathology, Physiology and Biochemistry books from the NMS series, and some of the Underground Clinical Vignettes. First Aid doesn't put things in context, which I found annoying. I used the other books for context and filling in some of the gaps in First Aid.

Good luck.

-Mary

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, if you simply want to pass then First Aid is enough. However, if you are wanting something in the upper percentiles then I would suggest some of the other prep materials mentioned in this thread! Best of luck!

thanks for all the information . i am working on it . i just want ot know if there is a good atlas where i can view all the histology and pathology slides which r as close to the exam . how much in depth does genetics and immunology have to be done ?