Is getting the Kaplan Blue Book still crucial???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpatel24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is getting the kaplan blue book still crucial to knowing the basic foundations for the test. I am looking at the new breakdowns and many do not use kaplan blue book. However, dental works study plan still thinks the blue book is vital in learning the sciences. What are your guy's thoughts? I am still studying off cliffs AP bio.

If I do get KBB, should I get 7th or 8th edition. Is there still a lot of errors in these books?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone gave me the KBB before I had done any research on SDN or online at all about the DAT. I just used it to get a basic understanding of what the test was like about 5 months before my exam. Once I found SDN and resources like cliff's, ferali's notes, Chad's, etc, I stopped using KBB. I don't think it is really necessary to purchase.

I had it and rarely used it. I used cliffs , it's pretty straightforward plus it's a much easier read IMO

There are two Kaplan Blue Books. One of them is the big white and blue book you get when you sign up for the Kaplan course. I've heard from people who used it saying it's OK and comparable to AP Cliffs and OK for learning how to do the chemistry stuff. Then there's the purple Kaplan book you can buy for around $40. This is the one I used and IMO it wasn't up to par with the other material out there. Considering Chad's is a way better resource for chemistry, and AP Cliffs will cover almost all the bio stuff for like $15, it's a waste except for the two practice tests in there which still had mistakes. So I'd advise using other materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
short answer: No. Get Chad's/Destroyer

As far as practice tests go, once you have a foundation and are ready: Bootcamp- Ari's stuff is legit (no I'm not paid, it just helped me get a good score that will get me into school).

I didn't like mine at all. I went through the bio section once, was bored out of my mind, and didn't touch it again.

If you use CrackDAT, Destroyer and Kaplan, you should be fine for the exam. However, make sure you do all the practice problems and go over their right and wrong answers.

If you feel like you have to start somewhere, blue book is fine and it will get you started. Just know that you will need other materials to supplement it.
Information is there, but seemed pretty disorganized.

A lot of people find feralis bio notes, cliff ap bio, and chad's vids for two chems really helpful.