Is Gilead a good company to work for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsquitpharm

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi guys

Just a little background: I am a former pharmacist, but my current job is in a primaily bioinformatics/data science role in pharma, and I have been contemplating making a formal switch to tech (data scientist, data engineer, and sde positions) for quite some time now, primarily due to their perceived higher pay haha. In the past week, I got two Linkedin messages from Gilead recruiters inquiring about my interest in their R&D research scientists positions. I don't know anyone who worked/working for them, and I would be curious to get some info about their working culture and compensation, etc. Namely, how does their compensation compare with tech? And from a career planning perspective, is it worth abandoning my pharma background altogether and just switch to tech in the long run? I am asking this because previously I have been reached by Linkedin recruiters for opportunities in some promising startups in tech as well, and they seemed to offer great packages, like ~200k a year and/or perks like 100% remote working.

Members don't see this ad.

There was guy on this board who went the same route. Study data science during pharmacy school and ended up ironically at Gilead. If you do a search you might find his posts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys

Just a little background: I am a former pharmacist, but my current job is in a primaily bioinformatics/data science role in pharma, and I have been contemplating making a formal switch to tech (data scientist, data engineer, and sde positions) for quite some time now, primarily due to their perceived higher pay haha. In the past week, I got two Linkedin messages from Gilead recruiters inquiring about my interest in their R&D research scientists positions. I don't know anyone who worked/working for them, and I would be curious to get some info about their working culture and compensation, etc. Namely, how does their compensation compare with tech? And from a career planning perspective, is it worth abandoning my pharma background altogether and just switch to tech in the long run? I am asking this because previously I have been reached by Linkedin recruiters for opportunities in some promising startups in tech as well, and they seemed to offer great packages, like ~200k a year and/or perks like 100% remote working.
Are the startups offering stock? That might be the better route especially if the companies ending up having an ipo.

I thought Gilead was that country in that handmaid show.

That show is exceptionally creepy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys

How did you get into data science job after working as pharmacist. Did you do any online courses or boot camp?

Are the startups offering stock? That might be the better route especially if the companies ending up having an ipo.
FYI, There are more recruiters' messages coming this week too, but for positions at Vir Biotechnology and Bridgebio.

The growing startup was offering up to $200K on the base, 10% bonus, and profit sharing, along with full medical benefits, for a senior data scientist position.

Last edited:
There was guy on this board who went the same route. Study data science during pharmacy school and ended up ironically at Gilead. If you do a search you might find his posts.
Oh I think I know who you are referring to. Believe or not, I made up my mind to go back to school after I saw his posts. I was burnt out at three letters anyway so there was really nothing to lose. I am glad I made the move.

Last edited:
FYI, There are more recruiters' messages coming this week too, but for positions at Vir Biotechnology and Bridgebio.

The growing startup was offering up to $200K on the base, 10% bonus, and profit sharing, along with full medical benefits, for a senior data scientist position.
I would go with the startup. That is a great package they are offering

What program did you study?
there are masters programs for data science. I think it's masters in computer science with data science or something. we have really nice thread about those here with all the links if you are interested.

Reactions: 1 users
Gilead was involved in some questionable politics over its proposed coronavirus treatment

Other than that, couldn't tell you

Hi guys

I am just wondering what the stress level would be for a 200K salary? Does additional stress worry you? I am not sure what your family situation is. If I make a career switch it has to be to improve my family life.

I am just wondering what the stress level would be for a 200K salary? Does additional stress worry you? I am not sure what your family situation is. If I make a career switch it has to be to improve my family life.
200k salary isn't outrageous these days, especially for tech. Facebook offers 180k comp package to E3 (entry level) new grads this year, and some reportedly negotiated up to 230k from what I heard. Yes, there are annual PIPs, but I don't expect the stress level to be remotely comparable to retail on a daily basis.

I don't have much loan left to pay off, but I have mortgage, and I am unmarried.

Last edited:
401k at Gilead I hear is pretty good, better than other pharmas I think. They're trying to branch into other areas outside virology so I'm not sure the long-term future is like. Their HIV business I think is stable but their forays into other areas not sure. Their filgotinib failed no? And they spent a lot on Immunomedics and Kite, big moves into oncology and unknown it'll play out but they sort of have to, not much choice.

It's very LGBTQ friendly which makes sense given their target patient population.

The average technology job is a unicorn job compared when compared to the average pharmacist job.

401k at Gilead I hear is pretty good, better than other pharmas I think. They're trying to branch into other areas outside virology so I'm not sure the long-term future is like. Their HIV business I think is stable but their forays into other areas not sure. Their filgotinib failed no? And they spent a lot on Immunomedics and Kite, big moves into oncology and unknown it'll play out but they sort of have to, not much choice.

It's very LGBTQ friendly which makes sense given their target patient population.
I am currently supporting the big molecule ophthalmology and oncology pipeline (tumor growth inhibition - overall survival analysis for melanoma trials etc), and I am not so familiar with Gilead about areas outside virology either. Their salary info on glassdoor doesn't seem to have too many datapoints, and my concern of not having a PhD kinda worries me a bit too, if I want to stay in pharma in the long run. My primary concerns are upward mobility and pay by the way cuz I don't have too many family obligations yet.

I am seriously debating right now, about my next step. My current role is leaning more and more towards data science and data engineering (I am also contributing to our in-house autoML app), and I am not sure if grass is indeed greener on the other side of tech, for which I might have to abandon my prior training altogether and start from the bottom again...

I am leetcoding in my spare time right now, but this question of whether or not jumping over the fence really bothers me.

The average technology job is a unicorn job compared when compared to the average pharmacist job.
Tech jobs are quite competitive these days just to let you know, especially tier 1 and tier 2 companies.

There are way too many things to learn and prep for tech interviews, and leetcoding can be really tedious and challenging.