Is it bad to buy the AAMC material too early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedsp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I bought the AAMC material in June this year and I will be testing next year (around April/May/June 2021). I brought the materials early to study content and do practice questions concurrently. I understand that the AAMC releases new materials every October. I was wondering if the new materials will be really different than the resources and questions I bought back in June? And should I consider rebuying the new 2020 released AAMC materials?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I bought the AAMC material in June this year and I will be testing next year (around April/May/June 2021). I brought the materials early to study content and do practice questions concurrently. I understand that the AAMC releases new materials every October. I was wondering if the new materials will be really different than the resources and questions I bought back in June? And should I consider rebuying the new 2020 released AAMC materials?
Thanks

Doing AAMC practice problems 9 months out in advance really isn't a good idea. Most people actually save that material for at most 1 month out from the test...I personally didn't touch my AAMC material until three weeks out. AAMC said on their website they would be releasing more CARS material, I don't know what else they're releasing, but you could just buy any additional materials separately. The full lengths, qpacks, and section banks are going to stay the same (FL1 for example is old to the point that it has content that is not tested now). I really don't think you should touch your aamc material until close to your test date, get Uworld instead if you want practice problems.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,
Thanks
Yes, this was a bad idea unfortunately. You don't use the AAMC materials to study content: you use it to familiarize yourself with the actual test around 1-1.5 months out from your actual test. Not sure if the new materials will be entirely different, but I would do third party practice right now.

Hello,
Thanks
Yeah, you should have waited, but it's too late now!! We ration the AAMC material because, as you know, there is a very limited amount of it, and it is the only stuff created by the publishers of the exam. Using it too early will leave you with nothing (or only third party material) as you get close to your test date.

The good news, is no, you do not have to rebuy it in October. Unlike Kaplan or Princeton Review, AAMC does not release brand new material each year which is really just the old material, with a new wrapper, and maybe a few changes sprinkled throughout.

AAMC sells everything they offer individually, and also packages them all together at a discount. Almost everything will be exactly the same, and you already have it. It looks like the only changes next year will be making the sample test that you paid for as part of your bundle free, and the inclusion of a new CARS diagnostic tool, which I can guarantee you will be able to purchase separately. (Last year, removing printed flash cards and adding FL 4 were the changes to the bundle. They wouldn't add the new FL to my package after they made the change, but I was able to buy it, without a bundle discount, separately.)