Is it better to get 2 C's or 2 F's? PLEASE ANSWER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vv1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to have 2 C's for both cumulative and science?
This is when applying to medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When we're the grades received? What classes? How do 2 Fs give you a higher GPA?

When we're the grades received? What classes? How do 2 Fs give you a higher GPA?
Because if I get two f's then I could retake it and get an A and the f's will show on my transcript but it will no longer be calculated in my gpa after I retook the classes. I understand that a 3.7 is a competitive gpa.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't work like that. All grades you have EVER received will be used to compute your AMCAS GPA. Your school GPA does not equal your AMCAS GPA which they compute separately.

Reactions: 5 users
Unless you are only applying to DO schools then you can't do grade replacement. MD schools take the average of both regardless of you undergrads grade replacement policy.

In your situation I would make sure I got at least Cs and then if you apply to DO programs you can retake at another university.

Edit: Also, if you maintain that GPA it shouldn't stop you from getting in to a school. Just make sure to do as best you can on the MCAT.

It doesn't work like that. All grades you have EVER received will be used to compute your AMCAS GPA. Your school GPA does not equal your AMCAS GPA which they compute separately.

Omg I did not know that. So this means that it is never ok to receive an F grade? Thank you so much I was very close to convincing my professors to change my C grades into F grades. I just wanted to have a competitive gpa of 3.7.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you are only applying to DO schools then you can't do grade replacement. MD schools take the average of both regardless of you undergrads grade replacement policy.

In your situation I would make sure I got at least Cs and then if you apply to DO programs you can retake at another university.

Edit: Also, if you maintain that GPA it shouldn't stop you from getting in to a school. Just make sure to do as best you can on the MCAT.

Ohh I see. Thank you so much. I did not know that. And if there is grade of NC (from the credit/no credit option) they automatically convert it to an F right?

Yep for MD schools all grades count.

Edit: Not referring to your post above above grade conversion.

Ohh I see. Thank you so much. I did not know that. And if there is grade of NC (from the credit/no credit option) they automatically convert it to an F right?

From reading their conversion chart you are correct, it would count as an F.

Yep for MD schools all grades count.

Edit: Not referring to your post above above grade conversion.

Wait what if I get 2 D's instead of 2 C's and then I retake the 2 classes and I receive an A in both classes? The average of a D and C is a B grade I believe. Is this option better than receiving 2 C's? Or does it look really bad to have a D on the transcript?

Wait what if I get 2 D's instead of 2 C's and then I retake the 2 classes and I receive an A in both classes? The average of a D and C is a B grade I believe. Is this option better than receiving 2 C's? Or does it look really bad to have a D on the transcript?
How would a D and a C average to a B?

One low grade actually hurts your total GPA more than you think. If you get a F and an A and think it "averages" out to a C, your GPA still will be lower than if you had received a C once. The point is, stop trying to game the system, it doesn't work like that.

Don't worry about all this and just get the best grade you can.

Reactions: 3 users

I would like to apply to medical schools first and then consider dental as plan b.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to apply to medical schools first and then consider dental as plan b. I got really sick my junior year of college. I had a high gpa and I messed it up. I wasn't able to withdraw or receive an incomplete grade without losing all of my financial aid which is the only way that I am able to attend college (it basically is the only source of money that I receive to cover for all of my basic necessities including school). I am feeling very suicidal with the fact that the highest cumulative gpa I can earn before my graduation is a 3.6 and a 3.5 in science...I feel like most medical schools won't even consider me unless I have a 3.7 in both areas.
Chill, plenty of people get in with a 3.6 and 3.5. What you need is a strong MCAT and good ECs. Numbers only get you in the door, they don't snag you an acceptance.

I would like to apply to medical schools first and then consider dental as plan b. I got really sick my junior year of college. I had a high gpa and I messed it up. I wasn't able to withdraw or receive an incomplete grade without losing all of my financial aid which is the only way that I am able to attend college (it basically is the only source of money that I receive to cover for all of my basic necessities including school). I am feeling very suicidal with the fact that the highest cumulative gpa I can earn before my graduation is a 3.6 and a 3.5 in science...I feel like most medical schools won't even consider me unless I have a 3.7 in both areas.

First of all, relax. I'm hoping the suicidal quip is just venting, if not you really need to talk to someone first.

Next, buy an MSAR and scour it. You will see many schools that take students with your GPA. If needed, take a gap year and bolster your ECs and bust your ass studying for the MCAT.

How would a D and a C average to a B?

One low grade actually hurts your total GPA more than you think. If you get a F and an A and think it "averages" out to a C, your GPA still will be lower than if you had received a C once. The point is, stop trying to game the system, it doesn't work like that.

Don't worry about all this and just get the best grade you can.
Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:
Chill, plenty of people get in with a 3.6 and 3.5. What you need is a strong MCAT and good ECs. Numbers only get you in the door, they don't snag you an acceptance.
Okay I will keep trying. What's a strong mcat like 40-45 range? Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it.

The MCAT was revised last year and no longer uses that scale. I believe the average for accepted students is right around 510 on this new scale. A strong MCAT would likely be at least a 516 (95th percentile) and up but there are really too many variable to give one answer.

First of all, relax. I'm hoping the suicidal quip is just venting, if not you really need to talk to someone first.

Next, buy an MSAR and scour it. You will see many schools that take students with your GPA. If needed, take a gap year and bolster your ECs and bust your ass studying for the MCAT.

Thank you, I believe that a good mcat score will help me. Do u recommend I take a 5th year of college to bring my gpa up from a 3.6 to 3.7? or should I try to do postbacc and retake the science courses that I have messed up in?

The MCAT was revised last year and no longer uses that scale. I believe the average for accepted students is right around 510 on this new scale. A strong MCAT would likely be at least a 516 (95th percentile) and up but there are really too many variable to give one answer.

Ohh I didn't know that. you can already guess how clueless I am when it comes to the mcat. I have a lot of studying to do. Thank you for the encouragement, I will try my best.

Ohh I didn't know that. you can already guess how clueless I am when it comes to the mcat. I have a lot of studying to do. Thank you for the encouragement, I will try my best.

Just keep positive and you will do great.

As to your previous question I don't believe you should need any sort of post-bacc but doing well in an extra semester of upper level courses might be worth delaying graduation. Some others may give you better feedback on that.

There is not a single situation in which you would want a low grade such as an F or a D.

If you take a class and get an F, but then retake the class to get an A, which is much harder than most people think, you would have basically accumulated 2 C's when you average the 1 A and 1 F together. So if you get a failing grade, the best you can do is essentially turn that F into 2 C's.

An F is devastating toward a GPA. Getting a C is not too great either. Aim for the highest grade you can possibly get.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't take an extra year of undergrad just to go 3.6 -> 3.7

No you don't need a 40+ to be competitive, that was 99.8th percentile before the scoring system changed. Depending on things like state of residency, race, strength of ECs you can be competitive with ~80th percentile. If you're open to DO you can be competitive well below that.

Don't take an extra year of undergrad just to go 3.6 -> 3.7

No you don't need a 40+ to be competitive, that was 99.8th percentile before the scoring system changed. Depending on things like state of residency, race, strength of ECs you can be competitive with ~80th percentile. If you're open to DO you can be competitive well below that.
Thanks so much.

I'm sorry guys for my ignorance. My school counselors are horrible and they don't tell me this information. I kept thinking that my college gpa will be the one that determines my acceptance. Thank you for helping me.

But you can't do CR/NC option if your a bio major. That's the policy in my institution.
I wasn't advocating for the CR/NC option. I was simply pointing out that NC grades that don't count as Fs for your school's gpa aren't weighed as Fs on AMCAS. I think it's useful to clear up these misconceptions whenever possible.

DO is not dental, it is medical like MD. When do you plan on applying? Do yourself a favor and spend a few weeks scouring these message boards. You have a lot to learn before taking the MCAT and applying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm sorry guys for my ignorance. My school counselors are horrible and they don't tell me this information. I kept thinking that my college gpa will be the one that determines my acceptance. Thank you for helping me.
http://www.registrar.iastate.edu/students/gpa-calc

Here's a simple GPA calculator to show you exactly why your GPA will go down. You could also do the formula of

(Current GPA*credits+(Credits of Fs*ZERO+Credits of As*4))/(Current credits+Credits of Fs+Credits of As)

Then compare that with (Current GPA*Credits+Credits of Cs*2)/(Current credits+credits of Cs) to show you that, mathematically, you're completely boned by taking the F route. It's simple math, really.

The F's will still be calculated into your GPA by AMCAS because you have to report all grades regardless of grade forgiveness or retakes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If you are feeling suicidal over UNDERGRAD grades, seek professional counseling.

And consider that just maybe you will not be able to survive the furnace known as medical school. It only gets harder. A 3.6 is nothing to be ashamed of. Heck, even a 3.5. I would give quite a bit to have a GPA that high. Trust me, it can always be worse.

If you are feeling suicidal over UNDERGRAD grades, seek professional counseling.

And consider that just maybe you will not be able to survive the furnace known as medical school. It only gets harder. A 3.6 is nothing to be ashamed of. Heck, even a 3.5. I would give quite a bit to have a GPA that high. Trust me, it can always be worse.

You're right, thank you so much. I'll try not to give up so easily. I'm just worried since medical school is highly competitive

http://www.registrar.iastate.edu/students/gpa-calc

Here's a simple GPA calculator to show you exactly why your GPA will go down. You could also do the formula of

(Current GPA*credits+(Credits of Fs*ZERO+Credits of As*4))/(Current credits+Credits of Fs+Credits of As)

Then compare that with (Current GPA*Credits+Credits of Cs*2)/(Current credits+credits of Cs) to show you that, mathematically, you're completely boned by taking the F route. It's simple math, really.
Ohh wow that's really scary, thanks for showing me this

I wasn't advocating for the CR/NC option. I was simply pointing out that NC grades that don't count as Fs for your school's gpa aren't weighed as Fs on AMCAS. I think it's useful to clear up these misconceptions whenever possible.
Thanks I had no idea that it's possible for certain NC grades to not be counted an F, that's helpful..so it is basically treated the same as a withdrawal?

Omg I did not know that. So this means that it is never ok to receive an F grade? Thank you so much I was very close to convincing my professors to change my C grades into F grades. I just wanted to have a competitive gpa of 3.7.

3.6 is still fine for MD, be sure to be able to explain why you got the C. Preferrably in a way that doesn't raise any uncomfortable questions from the adcoms.

Is it better to have 2 C's with a 3.6 cumulative gpa and 3.5 science gpa or two F's with a 3.7 gpa for both cumulative and science?
This is when applying to medical schools.

So OP, I understand you are paranoid but there was no reason to create 4 threads in 3 different forums on the same topic.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/is-it-better-to-have-2-cs-or-two-fs-please-answer.1202145/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/is-it-better-to-have-2-cs-or-2-fs-please-answer.1202146/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/is-it-better-to-get-2-cs-or-2-fs-please-answer.1202148/

However, to answer your question, having an F is a red flag. Avoid them at all costs. And understand that MD schools take all grades into consideration, and only DO schools do grade replacement. But even for DO schools, an F is a red flag.

Reactions: 2 users
3.6 is still fine for MD, be sure to be able to explain why you got the C. Preferrably in a way that doesn't raise any uncomfortable questions from the adcoms.

Do you know if I get the chance to explain my bad grades in my application or do I have to wait until I get invited for an interview?

Thanks I had no idea that it's possible for certain NC grades to not be counted an F, that's helpful..so it is basically treated the same as a withdrawal?
They might actually be frowned upon more than Ws so it's probably better to avoid them altogether. However, in some cases, an NC might be the only viable option if a late semester crisis emerges. Better to have an NC than an F.

Do you know if I get the chance to explain my bad grades in my application or do I have to wait until I get invited for an interview?
You'll get a chance to do so on some of the secondaries and if not then yeah, interviews. Secondaries might ask it straight up or give you a "any other comments" section where you can put it in if you so choose. I applied with a 3.65 the first time around (with an admittedly good MCAT score of 36) and got interviews as an ORM at UC davis and USC. Didn't get in then but that's mostly because I am an awful interviewee. I raised it later doing post-bacc community college courses (bio labs I lacked) to a 3.7 anyway.

Disclaimer: I didn't have Cs or Ws though or anything like that though, just an a$$ton of Bs and one B-. Definitely advise you to pay more attention to what the other guys here have to say about your situation.

First step, deep breath. Having a 3.5 is not the end of the world, especially if you had medical issues that killed your GPA for a semester or even a year. As long as you've gotten healthy, the rest of your grades are solid, and you can explain what happened, most places aren't going to hold it against you . I know plenty of people that were below a 3.5 that got in. Obviously get the best grades you can, but don't freak out if you've got a C or two on your transcript.

If you're really feeling suicidal, talk to your school counselor. You need to take care of yourself before you should consider starting med school as med school only exacerbates people's poor mental health.

I would like to apply to medical schools first and then consider dental as plan b.

DO schools are not dental schools.... Also by your vernacular I would guess you are a freshmen? Or a sophomore?

Which school do you go to where you can discuss which grade you would like to receive?

Honestly what kind of question is this...

Reactions: 3 users
Two C's, two D's, and an F. That's a 1.2 grade point average. Congratulations Kroger, you're at the top of the delta pledge class.