Is it better to have 2 C's or 2 F's...please answer!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vv1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to have 2 C's or two F's with a 3.7 gpa for both cumulative and science?
This is when applying to medical schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
2 C's with a 3.6 cumulative and 3.5 science GPA will serve you better.

However, how would you have a 3.7 with two F's? I am curious to understand this part.

Reactions: 1 user
2 C's with a 3.6 cumulative and 3.5 science GPA will serve you better.

However, how would you have a 3.7 with two F's? I am curious to understand this part.
Thank you so much for your reply.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your reply. This is a very serious decision for me. I have been very sick this semester and my professors have understood my situation and allowed me to receive 2 C's for 2 science courses that I'm taking. This will result in a 3.5 science and 3.6 cumulative gpa before my graduation. However, I am now a senior in college and I have realized that if I receive 2 F's instead of 2 C's and I retake the classes and get an A, I would get a 3.7 gpa for cumulative and science before I graduate next year. Please let me know what you think about my situation. I realize that a 3.7 is a competitive gpa.

Why wouldn't you be able to get the 2 C's, then retake both later? For AACOMAS you don't have to take retake courses before you get your degree, and you don't even have to take them at the same institution if your school doesn't let you retake C's.

Also, I would argue that while you believe getting 2 A's is doable, you don't know if that's what you'll really get. Take the 2 C's and decide later whether you need to retake.

Why wouldn't you be able to get the 2 C's, then retake both later? For AACOMAS you don't have to take retake courses before you get your degree, and you don't even have to take them at the same institution if your school doesn't let you retake C's.

Also, I would argue that while you believe getting 2 A's is doable, you don't know if that's what you'll really get. Take the 2 C's and decide later whether you need to retake.

Ohh so you mean that I can graduate and then retake the classes I have messed up at another institution as a postbacc? I was considering that option since my institution doesn't allow students to retake classes they have received a C grade or better in.

Ohh so you mean that I can graduate and then retake the classes I have messed up at another institution as a postbacc? I was considering that option since my institution doesn't allow students to retake classes they have received a C grade or better in.

Yeah. You can just retake the classes at a CC or something after you graduate. I'm sure it'll be cheaper, and 2 C retakes look better than 2 F retakes (schools will see both the original and retake grade, but just the retake will be calculated into your GPA).

Yeah. You can just retake the classes at a CC or something after you graduate. I'm sure it'll be cheaper, and 2 C retakes look better than 2 F retakes (schools will see both the original and retake grade, but just the retake will be calculated into your GPA).

Ohh thank you that sounds good. Do u know if there is a stigma associated with retaking the classes at community college though? or would it be considered just a equivalent as taking the courses at a four year institution?

I did this by accident this is my first time using this forum. Do you have any idea how I can delete this thread? Thank you so much, I agree I don't think I will consider failing the classes.

Ohh thank you that sounds good. Do u know if there is a stigma associated with retaking the classes at community college though? or would it be considered just a equivalent as taking the courses at a four year institution?

The only places that will care about CC schools are some US MD schools. Considering that retaking classes is only really useful for DO schools, they won't care if you take it at a CC. Do whatever is cheaper.

Reactions: 1 users
Remember that, for MD applications, you can retake classes, but the grades won't be replaced. So, those two Fs would stay 2 Fs, even if you took the courses again and got As.

Only osteopathic schools let you replace a bad grade with a retake. For allopathic, a retake just counts into your GPA like any other course you took, unrelated to the first.

So, yeah, take the C's.

Remember that, for MD applications, you can retake classes, but the grades won't be replaced. So, those two Fs would stay 2 Fs, even if you took the courses again and got As.

Only osteopathic schools let you replace a bad grade with a retake. For allopathic, a retake just counts into your GPA like any other course you took, unrelated to the first.

So, yeah, take the C's.
thanks so much, no wonder medical school is competitive

The only places that will care about CC schools are some US MD schools. Considering that retaking classes is only really useful for DO schools, they won't care if you take it at a CC. Do whatever is cheaper.
So if I retake a class will medical schools take the average of my previous grade and my new grade? Like if I retake the C and I get an A the second time, will they consider it as a B grade? I feel like they would prolly consider both my gpa before the retake and my gpa after the retake with average of the two grades, but I'm not sure. sorry if this sounds confusing. Also, this is completely unrelated to my post but I was wondering if u know anything about pharmacy schools and if they are just as competitive as medical schools. Thanks again.

thanks so much, no wonder medical school is competitive

It is competitive because more people want in than there are seats. (This is possibly because a great number of those who think they want in have no freaking clue what it is they are asking for!)

So, there is a system to try to give the available seats to those who demonstrate that they are most likely to make the best use of them. Academic performance is just one measure, but it is an important one. It demonstrates a host of qualities, some more objectively measurable than others, that are essential to becoming a physician. Getting the best possible grades and scores shows that you are capable of serious study, of delaying gratification, of engaging in forethought and planning, of grasping difficult concepts and applying them through assessments.

Those are all fine qualities. They aren't the only ones essential to becoming a physician or finding your seat. Don't get too caught up in the details of scores and stats. They can only say so much, no matter how good or bad they are. They just give you the platform from which to make your actual case about why you should be admitted, which is more about what kind of person you are and why you want to do this crazy thing. Make sure that, in your pursuit of the best stats possible, you don't forget about having something useful to say, when you get that chance.

Don't be freaked out by the competitiveness. Just do your best and be sure you know why you are doing it. That'll get you far.

So if I retake a class will medical schools take the average of my previous grade and my new grade? Like if I retake the C and I get an A the second time, will they consider it as a B grade? I feel like they would prolly consider both my gpa before the retake and my gpa after the retake with average of the two grades, but I'm not sure. sorry if this sounds confusing. Also, this is completely unrelated to my post but I was wondering if u know anything about pharmacy schools and if they are just as competitive as medical schools. Thanks again.

Allopathic medical schools will average.
Osteopathic medical schools will replace.

If you're also considering pharmacy schools the answer is yes they are less competitive than medical schools but still competitive as outlined above. Keep in mind though, your decision should not be based on the fact that you just want to get some sort of professional degree, it should be based on doing what you want to do. Pharmacy and medicine while both in the professional medical field are very different jobs with very different skill sets required of the practitioners. I suggest you shadow both physicians and pharmacists (if that's a thing, idk) and see which job you could see making into your career. Don't let the competitiveness of the application process determine your career, if you're meant to be in med school you'll get in.

It is competitive because more people want in than there are seats. (This is possibly because a great number of those who think they want in have no freaking clue what it is they are asking for!)

So, there is a system to try to give the available seats to those who demonstrate that they are most likely to make the best use of them. Academic performance is just one measure, but it is an important one. It demonstrates a host of qualities, some more objectively measurable than others, that are essential to becoming a physician. Getting the best possible grades and scores shows that you are capable of serious study, of delaying gratification, of engaging in forethought and planning, of grasping difficult concepts and applying them through assessments.

Those are all fine qualities. They aren't the only ones essential to becoming a physician or finding your seat. Don't get too caught up in the details of scores and stats. They can only say so much, no matter how good or bad they are. They just give you the platform from which to make your actual case about why you should be admitted, which is more about what kind of person you are and why you want to do this crazy thing. Make sure that, in your pursuit of the best stats possible, you don't forget about having something useful to say, when you get that chance.

Don't be freaked out by the competitiveness. Just do your best and be sure you know why you are doing it. That'll get you far.
You have been really helpful. Thanks for the encouragement it means a lot. Good luck with your future plans as well.

If you're also considering pharmacy schools the answer is yes they are less competitive than medical schools but still competitive as outlined above. Keep in mind though, your decision should not be based on the fact that you just want to get some sort of professional degree, it should be based on doing what you want to do. Pharmacy and medicine while both in the professional medical field are very different jobs with very different skill sets required of the practitioners. I suggest you shadow both physicians and pharmacists (if that's a thing, idk) and see which job you could see making into your career. Don't let the competitiveness of the application process determine your career, if you're meant to be in med school you'll get in.
Yea you're right I shouldn't go to pharmacy just because I didn't get accepted into medical. If med school doesn't work I do consider studying for the pharmacy entrance exam. I'm sorry for asking too many questions but which do you prefer is much easier dental or pharmacy school? I know that ultimately it depends on my personal interest.

Had one F due to health issues (Retook the class). cGPA was 3.2. Don't be so neurotic and keep fighting for what you want. Neither GPA is on the low end. No worries

Had one F due to health issues (Retook the class). cGPA was 3.2. Don't be so neurotic and keep fighting for what you want. Neither GPA is on the low end. No worries
Thank you, I'll keep going, good luck with your future goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.