Is it common to have different prescription for each eye?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshleyM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just got a check up today with an optometrist. i haven't gotten a eye exam in about 3 years. my eyes use to be at -2.25 for both eye, but now it changed to Right -2.5 and Left -3.0. is this common to have different prescriptions for each eye? all my family members and friends have the same prescription for both eyes and i am a little worried. is a difference of .5 a big deal? for glasses, i will make it using those prescriptions. but for contacts, can I use one box that is just -2.5? or do i have to buy 2 boxes and separate each? thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I just got a check up today with an optometrist. i haven't gotten a eye exam in about 3 years. my eyes use to be at -2.25 for both eye, but now it changed to Right -2.5 and Left -3.0. is this common to have different prescriptions for each eye? all my family members and friends have the same prescription for both eyes and i am a little worried. is a difference of .5 a big deal? for glasses, i will make it using those prescriptions. but for contacts, can I use one box that is just -2.5? or do i have to buy 2 boxes and separate each? thank you for your help.

Without commenting too specifically on your case, but these questions should really be directed towards your doctor I would offer the following:

1) Yes...it's very common to have slight differences between the two eyes, just as many people have one foot slightly larger than the other, or one ear slightly higher than the other. The difference you have described would be classified as slight.

2) Regarding prescriptions, if you have concerns again, discuss it with your doctor. In general, people should wear what they are prescribed because if you don't, you're going to have one eye that sees great and one eye that sees not so great. What good is that? Also, with one eye seeing well, and the other less so you are more likely to have eyestrain, headaches and other annoyance type symptoms.

Great post as always, KHE.

Unfortunately I have to close this thread since SDN's terms of service prohibit solicitation of medical advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.