Is it common...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

On3H34rT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a entering freshmen into college [pre-med] and I was wondering if physicians that work in a speciality depending on a illness they have.

for example.

I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease.. If I said I wanted to become a rheumatologist---is this common among medical school students..?

Members don't see this ad.

On3H34rT said:
I am a entering freshmen into college [pre-med] and I was wondering if physicians that work in a speciality depending on a illness they have.

for example.

I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease.. If I said I wanted to become a rheumatologist---is this common among medical school students..?

No.

On3H34rT said:

for example.

I know someone with spinal cord injury who went into PM+R.

I think during your application process, if you display maturity and can express the insight you gained from your personal illness experience, it is often looked upon favorably by interviewers/admission committees (from medical school, residency, fellowship etc). Though if you are still pre-med there is a long way yet till when you have to decide on subspecialty fellowships.