is it "easy" to match into FM via SOAP or 1 yr post graduating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nahom

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have the classic "2-days before match email med school anxiety/temporary OCD."

that 6-7% chance of not matching into psych is horrifying me. I love FM and psych, and if I didn't match into psych this year, I would be delighted to SOAP or match next year into an FM program, and would have zero regrets.

Anyone have any idea how likely it would be for a guy like me (230's, 240's, passed all exams, clerkships, apparently stellar letters) to get into FM if I unmatch into psych?

The data I've seen shows theres only a 1/2 chance of SOAPING and 1/2 chance of matching into anything 1 year post graduation, which seems scary to me. However, this is an average across all specialties. I'm hoping soaping or matching next year specifically into FM would have significantly better odds? *fingers crossed*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
AMG or IMG?

If AMG, try to take a deep breathe, go watch a movie. Nothing you can do at this point. Come Monday you will more than likely be just fine. Especially with those Step scores.

And even if you are an IMG with those scores, you're still very likely to match into FM unless you have red flags or you did very poorly at interviews. Try not to focus on the numbers. One step at a time. Try not to plan 3 steps ahead just yet. Breathe.

If you don't match psych this year, you will almost certainly match next year in FM (if you don't SOAP into it this year, which is also a high possibility). Assuming AMG.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't match psych this year, you will almost certainly match next year in FM (if you don't SOAP into it this year, which is also a high possibility). Assuming AMG.

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you so certain of this? Currently an AMG who it seems most likely not going to match psych or SOAP anything and will reapply, will delay graduation and try to find a research internship during summer

Looking at the NRMP data, overall previous U.S. grads who re-applied had a 43% match rate in 2018, which is killing me to think about at the moment

If you don't mind me asking, what makes you so certain of this? Currently an AMG who it seems most likely not going to match psych or SOAP anything and will reapply, will delay graduation and try to find a research internship during summer

Looking at the NRMP data, overall previous U.S. grads who re-applied had a 43% match rate in 2018, which is killing me to think about at the moment
Due to the step scores in the OP. I suspect they matched in psych, though.

The 43% match rate is for all-comers. If the problem is simply that someone aimed too high for an overly-competitive specialty, you stand a better chance of matching.

I would not put the words "easy" and "SOAP" in the same sentence, unless the word "not" is also included.
To be fair, I did separate the words with a parenthesis :)

While SOAP is a crapshoot, I think it's reasonable to say that the people who are most likely to succeed are those who overestimated their chances in applying to a competitive specialty and are SOAPing for spots in a specialty that they may actually now be much more competitive for at least based on scores, as the OP was. In any case, the point of my post was that between SOAP and reapplying, I think THIS OP has a good chance of matching.

I would not put the words "easy" and "SOAP" in the same sentence, unless the word "not" is also included.
hes-right-you-know-32644779.png

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys just wanted to give an update: i matched! I missed out on the entire first wave of interviews because there was an error in my eras app that made me invisible until october 12th or so. Doubled my applications from 40 to 80 after i found the error, and got 10 interviews total, 6 from the initial 40 and 4 from the new programs i applied to mid october. I hope in the future this scenario can be helpful for others in a similar situation.

Hey guys just wanted to give an update: i matched! I missed out on the entire first wave of interviews because there was an error in my eras app that made me invisible until october 12th or so. Doubled my applications from 40 to 80 after i found the error, and got 10 interviews total, 6 from the initial 40 and 4 from the new programs i applied to mid october. I hope in the future this scenario can be helpful for others in a similar situation.

what was the error that made your app invisible?

Reactions: 1 user