MD Is it even worth applying to schools with a 3.4 BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeezuswest

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many schools place more emphasis on the last 2-3 years rather than just the cGPA, so yes, keep up that upward trend and do well on MCAT, and you should go far! I would recommend a SMP only if you get shut out completely after one app cycle.

Assuming I got a 4.0 or so during senior year, this would still only put me at a roughly 3.39-3.40 AMCAS GPA, which is not very competitive. I also have not started doing any research associated with the university, however my volunteering and clinical experience are good. Would an SMP be a good option here?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
So, I've been in your exact shoes. IN fact, I took the mcat once and got a 24 on my first try. so that would be....waaay less than 500 on the new mcat.

Anyway, my gpa was like, 3.45 ish...but yeah,i went lights out on research, clinical experiences, and took a couple years off to learn some stuff. If i were you, i wouldn't worry about the past-just go LIGHTS out on your gpa...might even hold/cancel the mcat if it isn't too costly, and FOCUS on school. If you're in a borderline situation, you gotta take tcare of the thing that is most time dependent, whcihis your GPA/grades. your mcat, that you can even do after you graduate. Don't be the rookie attending surgeon who decides to run TWO ORs at the same time. Finish one case, then do the next. If you were a 3.9 student and was consistent, I'd be less concerned. You will have NO EXCUSE for a subpar academic performance for your gpa if you decide to do the mcat and school at the same time. Nobody is pointing a gun to your head saying that you need to do the mcat at this time. SO, think carefully about your mcat planning.

Remember, once that gpa is in, you can't really change it. SMPs are a gamble and you'll need to hustle maybe even harder than if you were in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
So, I've been in your exact shoes. IN fact, I took the mcat once and got a 24 on my first try. so that would be....waaay less than 500 on the new mcat.

Anyway, my gpa was like, 3.45 ish...but yeah,i went lights out on research, clinical experiences, and took a couple years off to learn some stuff. If i were you, i wouldn't worry about the past-just go LIGHTS out on your gpa...might even hold/cancel the mcat if it isn't too costly, and FOCUS on school. If you're in a borderline situation, you gotta take tcare of the thing that is most time dependent, whcihis your GPA/grades. your mcat, that you can even do after you graduate. Don't be the rookie attending surgeon who decides to run TWO ORs at the same time. Finish one case, then do the next. If you were a 3.9 student and was consistent, I'd be less concerned. You will have NO EXCUSE for a subpar academic performance for your gpa if you decide to do the mcat and school at the same time. Nobody is pointing a gun to your head saying that you need to do the mcat at this time. SO, think carefully about your mcat planning.

Remember, once that gpa is in, you can't really change it. SMPs are a gamble and you'll need to hustle maybe even harder than if you were in med school.

Ok awesome, can you elaborate on the couple years you took off? A lot of my friends/relatives are going into med school straight out of undergrad, so I've been feeling kind of rushed trying to get everything done as quick as possible...