Is it frowned upon if a psych resident does research with the psychology dept?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sprawl2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. I've always been a fan of this neuroscientist who does research at the psychology department of my hospital's home institution.

Is it acceptable or the psychiatry department prefers that their residents do research at their own department?

Members don't see this ad.

no it should not be frowned up they should encourage you to explore your interests and there are a handful of psychiatrists who are involved in more basic psychological research not directly related to psychiatry. same for neuroscience. we have people here who have done stuff with the departments of philsophy, anthropology, and the school of public health so it should be acceptable.

Members don't see this ad :)
This psych vs. psych thing usually only gets riled up when one pulls the old non-M.D. prescribing rights issue or when one side starts yammering about how they're so much better than the other because their matter of a fecal nature don't stink.

This psych vs. psych thing usually only gets riled up when one pulls the old non-M.D. prescribing rights issue or when one side starts yammering about how they're so much better than the other because their matter of a fecal nature don't stink.

We are more alike than we are different, especially when it comes to research.

Cool. I will definitely bring it up with my research director and I will email the PI in a couple days.
Thanks

Excited! He is one of the reasons I picked the program afterall hehe

I should mention, the medication-prescription issue and the fecal matter don't stink thankfully rarely come up, and I think the debates that occurred on this forum of that nature were somewhat heightened because we don't see each other in person plus some trolls messing things up.

My dept. has some great psychologists working in it and no one's ever gave a dirty eye to the other. Same happened when I worked in a state hospital. If a psych didn't like the psych of the other dept, it was usually only because one of them was bad and the other was good, and the good one didn't like working with the bad one---and only because of that. Not because of a rivalry.

I was able to kick out a malingering patient threatening quite extensively that he was going to kill himself from the inpatient unit. The psychologist on my unit did a SIRS exam showing with 100% certainty that this guy was malingering giving me rock-solid footing in having the guy discharged. Thank God I had this guy working with me. Had I done a SIRS myself, they are tedious and his knowledge of the SIRS is better than mine.