Is it good possibility to get accepted to top-tier medical school with completing most prerequisite courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asaren

Reaction score
I am a junior student in Engineering major at service academy. I have excellent GPA and MCAT results and all required extracurricular work for top-tier medical school. However I coudn't fit all prerequisite courses within my 4 years, due to the engineering major courseload, research project, sport activity, and other duties. The course I have taken:
  • 1 year of English
  • 1 semester of Gen Chem (special concentrated course) +lab
  • 1 year of Org Chem +lab
  • 1 semester of Biochem
  • 1 year of Physics +lab
  • 1 year of Biology +lab
  • 1 year of Math: Difference Equation and Statistics
Other prerequisite courses for most medical school that I haven't taken:
  • 1 semester of Chem
  • Psychology
  • Sociology
  • Genetics
What are my chance for top-tier medical school? I am worried for lacking another semeter of Gen Chem. It will be very difficult to be squeezed in next year.
If my chance is good, I will also have a better chance to go into medical school directly upon graduation. If not, I will serve for 5 years which is very good expirence for me before applying the medcial school again. If I really need to take the remaining courses, What choice do I have to take the remainging courses after my service time? Post-Bac program is quite expensive and most programs are required to retake the course I alreaday taken or be there at least a year. Do the top-tier medical schools accept open-enrollment course credit from extension school or continue education institute?

Members don't see this ad.

They are called prerequisites because they are required. You do not need to get them at a formal post bacc but rather take them at any college. And is your goal to be a doctor or to only get into a top tier medical school? BTW, I had a friend who recently passed away who graduated from West Point, do her five years then postbacc work and onto medical school via HPSP. She took commission in the USAF and served for several years before moving to academic medicine
My goal is both to be educated from top-tier medical school and be doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
My goal is both to be educated from top-tier medical school and be doctor.
Is English your second language? Your writing skills, along with your application, must be top tier to be accepted at a top tier school. This also includes shadowing, clinical experiences, and volunteering to help those less fortunate than yourself. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 4 users
I knew an applicant IRL, engineering grad from a service academy who took the MCAT and applied to medical school with only one semester of biology (rather than 2). He was admitted to Harvard, Hopkins and a bunch of other top drawer schools. His plan was to take Bio II in the spring before starting med school. It worked out for him. His LizzyM score was about 73 and adding in a boost for active duty military it was no surprise that he got lots of love from so many top schools.

Are sociology, psychology, etc actually required? So many people seem to self-study for that portion of the MCAT.

I am a junior student in Engineering major at service academy. I have excellent GPA and MCAT results and all required extracurricular work for top-tier medical school. However I coudn't fit all prerequisite courses within my 4 years, due to the engineering major courseload, research project, sport activity, and other duties. The course I have taken:
  • 1 year of English
  • 1 semester of Gen Chem (special concentrated course) +lab
  • 1 year of Org Chem +lab
  • 1 semester of Biochem
  • 1 year of Physics +lab
  • 1 year of Biology +lab
  • 1 year of Math: Difference Equation and Statistics
Other prerequisite courses for most medical school that I haven't taken:
  • 1 semester of Chem
  • Psychology
  • Sociology
  • Genetics
What are my chance for top-tier medical school? I am worried for lacking another semeter of Gen Chem. It will be very difficult to be squeezed in next year.
If my chance is good, I will also have a better chance to go into medical school directly upon graduation. If not, I will serve for 5 years which is very good expirence for me before applying the medcial school again. If I really need to take the remaining courses, What choice do I have to take the remainging courses after my service time? Post-Bac program is quite expensive and most programs are required to retake the course I alreaday taken or be there at least a year. Do the top-tier medical schools accept open-enrollment course credit from extension school or continue education institute?
if the schools you are applying to require those subjects (or others), then you need to take them. You can take them over the summer at any accredited college. Here is a link to Harvard's prerequisites: Prerequisite Courses .

Interestingly at HMS, Psych/Sociology is "encouraged," but not required. Genetics is not required. However, one year of expository writing is required.

In other words, check the requirements of the individual schools you are most interested in and make sure you meet them.

Reactions: 1 users
The chances of getting into a “top” medical school are low for everybody in that 70000 applicants are competing for ~2000 spots at T20 medical schools.

It can happen, I’m sure. Though, I would think that it’s at the discretion of the school(s) you apply to that give you the A.

I would just do as much as I can before the year you intend to enter your chosen school. Applying everywhere, even medical schools is getting trickier with more people trying to get back to higher education all-around (at least, as far as I can see being in California). This, apply to more than the “top-tier” because you don’t know who else could rise to match your level of competitiveness.

Be your personal best and complete what’s necessary.

Alum from service academy, engineering major w/o ability to take bio given required curriculum. Served five years, took bio-chem as a distance course from an FOB in Afghanistan w/ limited wifi and when back in the states found a local school for full year of bio classes and labs at night. Leadership worked to make class attendance possible. Applied to mid-tier schools only with only one semester complete and admitted, took second course after applications were submitted. Make it easy on yourself and check to see if you can take a bio w/ lab over this coming summer w/ an on-post detail. You'll need a good foundation for MCAT. Best of luck to you. Go Army, beat everyone.

Last edited: