Is it hard to practice in the US as a PI grad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowboybuboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it hard to get started as MD in the US if you're a recent MD grad? I know you have to take the USMLEs. But what makes it so difficult? I attended an open house here in one of the universities about their admission system. They make it so hard it's like they don't want you there. And it's only starting Med school. Not to mention other stuff one has to go through after graduation.
What are the steps once you graduate from the Philippines if you want to practice in the US? I've been saving some money to get started this coming year in Med school. But I heard that they make it difficult for foreign grads to get accredited and practice in the US. How hard could it be? Could someone with a good knowledge about the system answer?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it hard to get started as MD in the US if you're a recent MD grad? I know you have to take the USMLEs. But what makes it so difficult? I attended an open house here in one of the universities about their admission system. They make it so hard it's like they don't want you there. And it's only starting Med school. Not to mention other stuff one has to go through after graduation.
What are the steps once you graduate from the Philippines if you want to practice in the US? I've been saving some money to get started this coming year in Med school. But I heard that they make it difficult for foreign grads to get accredited and practice in the US. How hard could it be? Could someone with a good knowledge about the system answer?
Thanks!

It is rare for foreigners (non US citizens or green card holders) to be admitted into MD programs (medical schools) in the US.

If you have already obtained a MD degree abroad, you would be eligible to practice medicine in the US if your school is recognized by the W.H.O. and after 1) Pass USMLE Steps 1, 2, and 3 (if you need a visa). 2) Complete a minimum of 36 months of accredited residency training (for licensure).

There is no guarantee that you after passing the exams you would get a spot in residency as it is becoming more competitive. But it is still worth a try if you want to practice in the US as many IMGs have done it successfully.

Thanks Doctor Grimm. I've been studying my situation right now to get accepted in one of med schools here in the US. I'm no longer a green card holder. I'm a US citizen. Nevertheless, the odds are still against me since I graduated in the Philippines for my PT. And GPA is also an issue as we have a different system. For some reason, ours come out lower when converted to US GPA. Not to mention the cost of attending med school here. It's an average of 40-60k dollars year. I won't qualify so much for government loans, and private loans as it is credit based. In today's economy it's pretty tough to get a loan. Philippines is still my best option to become a doctor. That's why I'm inquiring about possible problems I might encounter later on. In terms of match, I'm not really worried. I know I can get a match in time and/or perseverance. I can still practice my physical therapy profession here in the US as I wait for a residency match.
Again, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Doctor Grimm. I've been studying my situation right now to get accepted in one of med schools here in the US. I'm no longer a green card holder. I'm a US citizen. Nevertheless, the odds are still against me since I graduated in the Philippines for my PT. And GPA is also an issue as we have a different system. For some reason, ours come out lower when converted to US GPA. Not to mention the cost of attending med school here. It's an average of 40-60k dollars year. I won't qualify so much for government loans, and private loans as it is credit based. In today's economy it's pretty tough to get a loan. Philippines is still my best option to become a doctor. That's why I'm inquiring about possible problems I might encounter later on. In terms of match, I'm not really worried. I know I can get a match in time and/or perseverance. I can still practice my physical therapy profession here in the US as I wait for a residency match.
Again, thanks!
It will also depend on your MCAT score. You are still a foreign-grad (BS) even if you are a US citizen. If you cannot even score above 30 on MCAT, even DO programs will not admit you. If you plan on getting residency in the US after med school in the Philippines, do it as soon as you can as they are increasing the number of American students by 2012-2016. It's still possible to get some primary care position but I doubt it will be possible later on once there are very few spots for IMG.

i'm seriously considering applying to medical schools in the philippines but i'm really worried about how hard it will be to apply for residencies here in the U.S. after graduation. i have a pretty high gpa but my mcat score just isn't cutting it plus i have no research experience so making it into a 2010 batch for a med school in the U.S. is difficult. i'm wondering if i should wait it out another year (retake mcat, research, etc) and apply for 2011 class or try it out in the phils. any suggestions?

As a second year MD student in the Philippines (I am a US citizen of a non-filipino background), I can recommend the following:

1) If you have a shot at a US medical school, attend in the US. Your USMLE scores will be better, and combined with a domestic MD degree you'll have an easier time matching. Also, most US grads start residency right after graduation. Most graduates of MD programs in the Philippines end up in residency a year or two after graduation. The reason for this is that US med schools allow for USMLE taking during the school year, schedulewise. They also groom you for the exam. In the Philippines, you do it on your own, and most have to do it after graduation and miss the matching program deadlines. The year or two of unemployment after med school hurts more than a dead year before admission.

2) If you won't be accepted in the US, the Philippines is a good option. I strongly recommend considering schools not only in Manila but outside. Less foreign fees, and calmer environment give schools outside the capital an advantage, IMHO.

3) Don't go for the "best" MD school in the Philippines. They will load you up with so much extra work, you won't have time to study for the MLEs. Go for the midrange ranked schools instead. You'll get same books, same instruction.

4) Unless you have a very strong background in pre-medicines (a BS in medical technology for instance), i don't recommend enrolling in a PBL program. In general, Filipino style learning is do-it-yourself. Even in traditional settings, students don't ask a professor a question unless they've looked in the book and failed to find an answer, and then asked a top student in the class and she/he did not know either. If you go to PBL route, you'll be COMPLETELY on your own. And without a strong background, medicine in a self-study setting will be hard to swallow.

5) Philippines is not a rich country. Living here requires a bit of a light perspective on things. If you like impeccable services, always getting what you pay for, and are bothered by stray dogs or weird insects - you'll have a hard time adjusting. If you are the rugged type who doesnt care much for luxury and glitter, you'll find the Philippines far more functional on every level as compared to, say, Mexico.

6) Many disagree with me, but I think the Philippines is an infinitely better option compared to the Carribean. There are many reasons for this and I won't enumerate them now. And while I still question myself if I made the right choice by going to the Philippines instead of repeating my premed and applying in the US (My MCAT score was good, but my undergrad and premed average was low), I am really glad I didn't fall into the Carribean/UAG money trap! These are good schools, but the 10x tuition amount doesn't give you anything that Philippines won't give you. Plus some things are lacking in the Carribean as compared to the Philippines.

To sum up: If you can attend in USA, do it. Even if it costs a year or two. You'll be happy you did. But if going abroad is a must, come to Philippines, its a better choice than many others.

It is rare for foreigners (non US citizens or green card holders) to be admitted into MD programs (medical schools) in the US.
Green card holders (with the exception of the Mayo Clinic) are treated the same as U.S. citizens for the purposes of medical school admission.

cowboybuboy: your biggest hurdle is the possession of foreign pre-medical credentials. Those usually can't be used to satisfy the 60-90 undergraduate credit requirement before U.S. medical schools will look at your application. Best to retake the credits in the U.S. (including one year in each of: chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biology, and English).

I want to take the USMLE Step 1 exam here in the Philippines this April 2010. Is it possible to take the exam before graduation? I am an ongoing 3rd year medical student here @ Dr Jose Rizal School of Medicine - Xavier University. What are the requirements I need to fulfill? I hope you guys can help me on this as I want to practice in the US as an MD. I am contemplating of entering Ophthalmology or IM.

Reactions: 1 user
As a second year MD student in the Philippines (I am a US citizen of a non-filipino background), I can recommend the following:

1) If you have a shot at a US medical school, attend in the US. Your USMLE scores will be better, and combined with a domestic MD degree you'll have an easier time matching. Also, most US grads start residency right after graduation. Most graduates of MD programs in the Philippines end up in residency a year or two after graduation. The reason for this is that US med schools allow for USMLE taking during the school year, schedulewise. They also groom you for the exam. In the Philippines, you do it on your own, and most have to do it after graduation and miss the matching program deadlines. The year or two of unemployment after med school hurts more than a dead year before admission.

2) If you won't be accepted in the US, the Philippines is a good option. I strongly recommend considering schools not only in Manila but outside. Less foreign fees, and calmer environment give schools outside the capital an advantage, IMHO.

3) Don't go for the "best" MD school in the Philippines. They will load you up with so much extra work, you won't have time to study for the MLEs. Go for the midrange ranked schools instead. You'll get same books, same instruction.

4) Unless you have a very strong background in pre-medicines (a BS in medical technology for instance), i don't recommend enrolling in a PBL program. In general, Filipino style learning is do-it-yourself. Even in traditional settings, students don't ask a professor a question unless they've looked in the book and failed to find an answer, and then asked a top student in the class and she/he did not know either. If you go to PBL route, you'll be COMPLETELY on your own. And without a strong background, medicine in a self-study setting will be hard to swallow.

5) Philippines is not a rich country. Living here requires a bit of a light perspective on things. If you like impeccable services, always getting what you pay for, and are bothered by stray dogs or weird insects - you'll have a hard time adjusting. If you are the rugged type who doesnt care much for luxury and glitter, you'll find the Philippines far more functional on every level as compared to, say, Mexico.

6) Many disagree with me, but I think the Philippines is an infinitely better option compared to the Carribean. There are many reasons for this and I won't enumerate them now. And while I still question myself if I made the right choice by going to the Philippines instead of repeating my premed and applying in the US (My MCAT score was good, but my undergrad and premed average was low), I am really glad I didn't fall into the Carribean/UAG money trap! These are good schools, but the 10x tuition amount doesn't give you anything that Philippines won't give you. Plus some things are lacking in the Carribean as compared to the Philippines.

To sum up: If you can attend in USA, do it. Even if it costs a year or two. You'll be happy you did. But if going abroad is a must, come to Philippines, its a better choice than many others.
Message me, so we can talk.