Is it "Institutional Action" if it was resolved with a professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preweedout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accused of cheating on an exam by my professor. He was very lenient, and offered to resolve it in person. The Office of Student Affairs at my university did not get involved in any way EXCEPT FOR the fact that my professor had me sign a statement that was sent to them for record-keeping. He is lowering my overall grade by 10 points which means that I will still have a B in the course.

My question is, would this be considered Institutional Action? I was always under the impression that Institutional Action refers to things that appear on external disciplinary records that are dealt with by the Office of Student Affairs or, similarly, someone from the University, like an undergrad hearing board. I already know that the Office of Student Affairs will not place a first time resolution on my external disciplinary record, and its not reportable to any institutions. Should I check the box for IA?

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you talk to your Office of Student Affairs and ask them.

It shouldn't be an IA, but talk to them.

Email your school an exact copy of the AMCAS wording and ask them how to respond. Do whatever they say and save their response. Always good to get these kind of things in writing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked them, and all they were saying was that the "faculty-student resolution" (AKA the form I filled out) wasn't reportable to anyone.. They wouldn't budge beyond this statement.

I'm also a bit concerned with whether the committee letter people can see this, but they said it's not reportable to anyone (since its not on my external disciplinary record), so I'm guessing they won't be able to see it when the time comes. Any thoughts on that?

I asked them, and all they were saying was that the "faculty-student resolution" (AKA the form I filled out) wasn't reportable to anyone.. They wouldn't budge beyond this statement.

I'm also a bit concerned with whether the committee letter people can see this, but they said it's not reportable to anyone (since its not on my external disciplinary record), so I'm guessing they won't be able to see it when the time comes. Any thoughts on that?

If it's not reportable to anyone, then it's not reportable to anyone. I understand you want to be sure, but they've made it pretty clear.

Reactions: 1 users
Just want to clarify, when I said I asked them, I didn't send them the wording from AMCAS. I simply called the Office over the phone. Do you think I should send them the wording? I'm just worried that if I check no, the committee letter members will somehow be able to see it since they're within the university.

Just want to clarify, when I said I asked them, I didn't send them the wording from AMCAS. I simply called the Office over the phone. Do you think I should send them the wording? I'm just worried that if I check no, the committee letter members will somehow be able to see it since they're within the university.

If it's not reportable to anyone then the committee shouldn't know. Again, ask these specific questions to the office. Ask if this thing you signed is confidential.

If it's not reportable to anyone, then it's not reportable to anyone. I understand you want to be sure, but they've made it pretty clear.

You need an e-mail or something from them saying these things so in the future, if someone finds out you got caught cheating but didn't report the Institutional Action on AMCAS, you can back yourself up with hard evidence.

You are also extremely lucky to have committed one of the worse sins in the Church of Academia (cheating) and getting away with such a minor hand slap.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else wondering what I'm wondering? Did OP actually cheat?

What did you do? I've found that it's pretty hard to catch someone for cheating, you have to have evidence

The signed letter throws me off... Better get on that.

I know some people who cheated on an assignment during my freshman uear. They received a zero on it and it was kept between them and the professor. If it doesn't leave the classroom, it's not an institutional action. They acted like their punishment was a Christmas gift, which it essentially was. If that's the case with you, then you got extremely lucky. Just clarify it, move on, and never speak of it again.

It is only an IA, if my knowledge is correct, if it appears on your transcript. It sounds like this won't be an IA, but do as the others say and ask your school.

Update: I was browsing the pre-health website at my University and they said that anything that receives a sanction of "Admonition" or below does not have to be reported to AMCAS. The student-faculty resolution is considered an admonition, so it's not reportable. Lesson learned, thanks to everyone that responded.

Reactions: 1 users
Update: I was browsing the pre-health website at my University and they said that anything that receives a sanction of "Admonition" or below does not have to be reported to AMCAS. The student-faculty resolution is considered an admonition, so it's not reportable. Lesson learned, thanks to everyone that responded.

Screen shot that page and keep it, just to be extra safe.

If it is not reportable then I wouldn't worry about it.