Is it just my dental school or is there a shortage on faculty members everywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Someoneelse30

Reaction score
I swear, it seems like my school sends out an email saying that there’s faculty shortage every single semester. It’s frustrating because they are now closing clinics on certain days meaning that students will lose clinic hours to finish their requirements. Is this happening at your school? If so, what are the solutions implemented to combat this shortcoming?

Members don't see this ad.

I read somewhere that for every additional $10,000 in student loan debt there’s around a 4% reduction in the likelihood of one going into academia. Simply put, not many people can afford to do it anymore.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
Whoa! Schools actually send out emails to warn students that there is a faculty shortage? Why? What exactly happened to the faculty? They quit? They were fired? Is it something else?

It’s widely known that the faculty pay at dental schools is low/has been stagnant. Most faculty teach because they are older, closer to retirement and want benefits (healthcare and such), and many actually enjoy teaching. I graduated from d school nine years ago, and some of my faculty passed away in recent years and many simply moved on to practice again or teach somewhere, or in most cases retired. They have been replaced with much younger, less experienced and in some cases with international faculty - all while student loans have skyrocketed! As a result, graduation requirements have gone down, with fewer to no exposure to some critical areas of clinical dentistry, and it’s now much much easier to pass the clinical phase of dental school.