Is it necessary to do research in area of interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ace12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I have been wondering this for a while. I am entering medical school in the fall, and am very interested in surgery after doing some shadowing (Probably ortho the most, but others as well). At this stage though, I know that it may be some time before I decide what I really want to do.

My question then is how important it is to do research in the specialty you attempt to match? For example, let's say I do neuro research, but end up deciding that I like ortho better. Would this switch negatively affect my application? Any input you could provide would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ideally you would have done significant research in the field you end up applying to. But that would assume you know for sure what field you are interested in, and many people change their mind after rotations. It's better to do research in an unrelated field than no research at all.

Ideally you would have done significant research in the field you end up applying to. But that would assume you know for sure what field you are interested in, and many people change their mind after rotations. It's better to do research in an unrelated field than no research at all.

Exactly, this is where I see people having problems. How much of a discrepancy this research in different areas vs. research in that area is where I get confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in doing biophysics for an MD/PhD, but I can't do research like that at my undergrad institution. So I'm doing biochemistry. I've been told that it doesn't really matter. It matters slightly more for MD/PhD applicants because you have to apply to the PhD program you want to work with, but for MD applicants, probably not.

If you find that you become interested in a very competitive specialty, it is of course advantageous to have plentiful research in that area. Many people at my school take a year off to do research in addition to pretty much everyone taking research month(s) during 3rd and 4th year. Having any research is a plus, but keep the option of a year off in mind. Also, shadow extensively during MS1. You don't need to wait until 3rd year to start getting a feel for different specialties.

I'm interested in doing biophysics for an MD/PhD, but I can't do research like that at my undergrad institution. So I'm doing biochemistry. I've been told that it doesn't really matter. It matters slightly more for MD/PhD applicants because you have to apply to the PhD program you want to work with, but for MD applicants, probably not.

OP is talking about research IN medical school for getting into residency, not research in undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you find that you become interested in a very competitive specialty, it is of course advantageous to have plentiful research in that area. Many people at my school take a year off to do research in addition to pretty much everyone taking research month(s) during 3rd and 4th year. Having any research is a plus, but keep the option of a year off in mind. Also, shadow extensively during MS1. You don't need to wait until 3rd year to start getting a feel for different specialties.

OP is talking about research IN medical school for getting into residency, not research in undergrad.
Oh! Sorry, I didn't read that clearly enough. My bad! But I suppose I should ask... was I correct in saying that, though?

Oh! Sorry, I didn't read that clearly enough. My bad! But I suppose I should ask... was I correct in saying that, though?

The difference between biochemistry and biophysics (and probably any bio or chem-related research) is pretty insignificant when it comes to MD/PhD applications.

Any research is fine for MD applicants.

My question then is how important it is to do research in the specialty you attempt to match? For example, let's say I do neuro research, but end up deciding that I like ortho better. Would this switch negatively affect my application? Any input you could provide would be great. Thanks.

Depends on the field. Your best bet is to do research in the most competitive of the fields you think interest you.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the field. Your best bet is to do research in the most competitive of the fields you think interest you.

How realistic is it to work with a couple labs in different areas? Is this worth doing, or is it better to just focus one's energy in a specific field?

How realistic is it to work with a couple labs in different areas? Is this worth doing, or is it better to just focus one's energy in a specific field?

Labs? Probably not very. Clinical is pretty doable if you're motivated, or you might be able to mix and match and focus mostly in one lab with some other clinical stuff on the side, do clinical during the year and lab over M1 summer, etc.

My only caveat would be to proceed slowly so as not to over commit yourself before you know how much time you need to study, do fun stuff/hobbies, other ECs. I had one project that I started at the very end of 1st semester, and I've added a couple this semester in a another, more competitive field. The trouble in medical school (at least in my experience) isn't finding projects, it's with being reasonable about what you can commit to and being able to say no.

Research isn't needed to get into medical school unless you want md/phd. So just because you did some undergrad research back in the day won't hinder your future specialty prospects.

Research isn't needed to get into medical school unless you want md/phd. So just because you did some undergrad research back in the day won't hinder your future specialty prospects.

i'll answer with a quote...