Is it normal to feel unsure about PT school? (weeks before it starts)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwunsure21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Using a throwaway because my other account has too much information on it. I'm about to start PT school in three weeks, and lately I've been feeling so unsure about this and asking myself if this is the right thing for me.

Don't get me wrong - I like physical therapy, I really do. I liked volunteering at the clinics and seeing how patients progress through time. However, this was two years ago and since then I've found other things that give me joy.

I've always been a creative person - I love photography, video editing, graphic design, and now I want to learn web coding and lettering/typography - and the fact that I won't be able to be so involved in this field once school starts (and maybe for the next few or more years) makes me sad.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm asking.
I'm just wondering if other people got 'cold feet' about physical therapy school.
I'm hoping all these thoughts and worries will go away once school starts, but I am not at all excited or looking forward to class starting.

Members don't see this ad.

I do for sure! I'm also starting in a few weeks. I've posted about it for before, but definitely having cold feet. For me, I think a lot of it is the uncertainty of the career future and also closing those doors of other things I had hoped to be. On the career uncertainty, I'm still questioning the salary when compared to the expense and sacrifice of a doctorate level degree. One of the big reasons I wanted to go back to school was to improve the financial stability of my family....so I hope I can meet that goal, especially after they will all sacrifice a lot for me to do this.

On the other hand, I feel like the day I step foot into my first DPT class is the day I can't dream about doing other things. It's been such a long road for me to get here, so I have to commit and take it all the way (for everyone's sake, lol). For me, my real passion is probably medicine and always has been. I'm not afraid to share that because it's truly not an option for me to go to medical school (a mutual family decision with my husband and considering our kids and other factors). But to actually go to DPT school is to shut that dream down in a concrete way. Maybe you can relate to that part...it's nice to still have the idea of doing other things, but after that first day in class you can't even really fantasize about those other things.

This is my 2nd career (3rd if you count my work while I was taking pre reqs and such) and one thing I've learned is you definitely should give it a chance. But, if it's not right, it's OK to say so and get out sooner rather than later. If you don't go, I feel like you might always wonder. But if you go and absolutely hate it after a year, then you know with certainty.

Finally, I do think you can carve out space for your other interests. I don't know much about the stuff you like you do, but even if you can spend a few hours a week on it, you might feel better about it. Who knows how your talents and interests can be incorporated in some way too!

Reactions: 1 users
OP - it doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. While in PT school, you can certainly spare 15-20 mins a day learning about photography, or web coding, or graphic design. Do it while you're in the john; do it when you take a break from studying anatomy; do it for an hour or two on Sat morning before you hit the PT books again. As starrsgirl said, try to carve out a little space for other interests. Your brain will thank you for it. The first semester of PT school is a bit rough, but generally things will improve over time.

I have always advocated "being more than a pure PT" by developing other skills that can complement your career. If you know photography and graphic design, you can create a brochure for the PT practice you're working in. If you know web coding, you can develop an app for PTs, or a website to communicate with your patients. Your employer will value you more because you can do stuff that other PTs cannot. And hopefully it will translate into more money for you, if that's the thing you're after. Bottom line: try to keep a foot in each world; it can be done, if you want it badly enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's natural to feel uncertainty whenever you make a commitment like PT school. I'm sure a lot of people have some doubt when they get married, even if they love their fiance/fiancee. As the OP said, you're closing doors to other opportunities and you're not completely sure you're going to love PT school. My biggest concern would be the cost of education. It has been said on this forum many times, but the debt/income ratio for physical therapy is high. You will not be a mendicant, but you will have to make some sacrifice if you want to become a PT. You will probably be paying $1500/month for the next ten years.

I'm currently working on another business as I complete PT school. I don't have much time to do it, but I build it in my free time. I also have other interests.

BTW, actually doing physical therapy in the clinic is far more exciting than anything you do in the classroom. Don't make up your mind until you complete a clinical rotation. Being a physical therapist is much more fun than becoming one.

There's nothing wrong with being unsure. And while most people will tell you to push through your uncertainties and have faith that PT is the field for you... I think it's ok to say, "I'm not sure. I need more time to decide." There's nothing wrong with taking an extra year to pursue other interests. If you find that your passion is in photography, go for it! Don't go to PT school because it is the "safe" choice.

I have a friend who decided to pursue photography after being accepted to several schools. While we were undergrads she photographed weddings almost every weekend. It was more of a side business to earn some extra money, but then she realized that it was her passion. Sure, it sucks to pay for all the pre-reqs and then realize that you would rather do something that doesn't require a degree. But if it makes you happier, I think it's worth it.

I also think trying to pursue PT if you are on the fence could be a little dangerous. Even if you make it through 3 years of school, but you aren't in love with the field, it will show. We all know people that have jobs they don't love. It's hard to be the best PT for your patients if your heart isn't in it.

Have you talked to your friends or family about how you're feeling? Sometimes it can be helpful to just tell your loved ones what you're thinking. It probably feels like a heavy secret right now. The fact that you created a throw away account on an already anonymous forum tells me that you might be a little scared of revealing your secret. It would be especially helpful to discuss it with a PT, professor, or adviser that you trust.

Wishing you the best!