is it ok to get letter recommendation from science community college professor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucla2134

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I took zoology bio class in summer at cc. This professor that i had is amazing. He cares about his student and i got a change to really interact with him on a daily basic. He told me that if i need a letter from him, just tell him. Unlike professor at my school, i am sure he knows my work ethic better than professors at my university.
Is dental school care about letter recommendation from cc's professor college or they care more about the professor that know you better?
Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would say it does not matter, as long as your professor is a PhD and not just a grad student if you know what I mean.

I second that! We had a teacher with a masters and no PhD, he was the coolest. A lot of my friends were asking for LOR's from him but its always better to find the prof that a PhD's.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I second that! We had a teacher with a masters and no PhD, he was the coolest. A lot of my friends were asking for LOR's from him but its always better to find the prof that a PhD's.

Not necessarily, I would rather have a strong letter from a non PhD than a mediocre letter from a PhD.

Not necessarily, I would rather have a strong letter from a non PhD than a mediocre letter from a PhD.

I see your point, but in generalities and all things being equal (in terms of the quality of the letter), I'd say it's safest to go with a PhD.

I got letters of rec from community college professors AND grad students because they knew me well. Man, according to the common knowledge on this website I didn't do anything right when I applied.

One of my letters was from a community college professor. Assistant Physics professor, no less. While some schools may require x amount of science letters, some of them possibly Biology specific, there is no requirement to receive these from a university professor with a PhD.

As mentioned previously, my opinion is that your letter should help you stand out so try to get letters from people who know you and will expound beyond "(student) was in my class and received (grade)...". If you get this kind of a letter then a PhD would look better than a grad student letter. Since my science professor letters were weak, I had to get exceptional letters from my employer and volunteer coordinator to compensate.

I just remembered that I wrote 2 of my own letters. That is the way to go.

I just remembered that I wrote 2 of my own letters. That is the way to go.

Lol. For sure, if you can get away with it. Actually though, my employer required that I write the rough draft of the letter, then he went through and made changes as he saw fit.