Is it ok to go abroad during application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fish419

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply next summer, but I have to go abroad for half a year (from March to September) next year. My family is here so I have someone who can pickup mail, read/scan/email documents to me and also send documents by mail for me, and as far as I know, interviews (if there are some) will start normally in October? So I wonder is it possible that I can apply when I am in a foreign country? Any idea? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to apply next summer, but I have to go abroad for half a year (from March to September) next year. My family is here so I have someone who can pickup mail, read/scan/email documents to me and also send documents by mail for me, and as far as I know, interviews (if there are some) will start normally in October? So I wonder is it possible that I can apply when I am in a foreign country? Any idea? Thanks!
As long as you have regular access to internet/email, I do not see why not. It is worthy to note that some schools do start interviewing as early as July. What you should do is look on the website of each school you plan on applying to. Usually they have somewhere on the website that will say when they begin interviewing.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I completed 5 interviews before October 15th and had more scheduled for the time after.

It is up to you if you want to risk taking later interviews (interview time matters for some schools and doesn't for others)

Make sure that you can write/submit your primary and secondaries from abroad and that you have your LORs together before you leave.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for replying!
I thought application and secondary application can be submitted online, and interviews is the only one part that I have to be in the country. If I can find somebody help me to mail some documents or receive mails before interview starts, I should be fine, isn't it right?

Thank you for replying!
I thought application and secondary application can be submitted online, and interviews is the only one part that I have to be in the country. If I can find somebody help me to mail some documents or receive mails before interview starts, I should be fine, isn't it right?
Nothing is done by mail except some rejection/waitlist letters and then post-acceptance packets.

I am currently abroad in the Middle East for about two weeks. I submitted my primary and was verified the same day. I'm visiting family here so I was able to start pre writing secondaries and actually wrote about my trip in my essays. Honestly, we probably won't have many summers left with medical school (hopefully) starting next year. I say if you have Internet and it's a short trip, you'll be just fine.

While access to email and internet will allow you apply and follow up overseas, interviews do present an issue. There are still some schools that will assign you an interview date that may not be that flexible in changing. I would suggest you should note on your secondaries that your out of the country until date XX
Thank you for your reply and suggestions! Very helpful

I am currently abroad in the Middle East for about two weeks. I submitted my primary and was verified the same day. I'm visiting family here so I was able to start pre writing secondaries and actually wrote about my trip in my essays. Honestly, we probably won't have many summers left with medical school (hopefully) starting next year. I say if you have Internet and it's a short trip, you'll be just fine.

Yes, it is true. I will try to make the trip short. Thank you

Primary app opens to work on in beginning of May and opens for submission the beginning of June.

Secondary apps arrive very late June - Mid July.

Interviews follow.

Acceptances will begin being sent out October 15th, so interviews begin weeks/months before then.

You decide whether you can do that while abroad.

Very idealized and unrealistic scenario for 70% of applicants

Absolutely. I completed my entire application cycle while living abroad, and flew back for interviews. The only thing you need to be in the USA for are interviews and revisits (which I didn't even attend). Some schools will only send acceptance packets and/or rejection letters by mail too, but if you have someone checking mail for you you're fine. (If you are accepted you will get an email or a call, but the actual packet with info etc. is mailed).

One thing I wish people had told me about was a headshot. A lot of schools request a simple photo of you (from the shoulders up with a plain background) that you upload to your secondary. If you'll be out of the country and don't think you'll be able to get a decent photo of yourself with a plain background while you're there, I'd recommend getting one while you're still at home. Otherwise, I think you're totally fine to go abroad as long as you have internet access at least every couple of days or so!