Is it okay to shake hands with interviewer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spotliter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an interview invitation from my DREAM school.
It is scheduled on Thursday, and I am very nervous.

I have read SDN posts, and most of them mentioning 'shaking hands' with the interviewer before and after the interview. I have learned that shaking hands should be suggested from the elders or authorities.
Do usually interviewer suggest shaking hands? Or is it really okay to suggest shaking hands with interviewer?

For example, should I wait until the interviewer puts his/her hand out, or should I extend my hand first?

I know this is somewhat dumb question, but I do not want to give any bad impression.

Please help.

Thank you very much for help.

Members don't see this ad.

Just say hi nice to meet you and shake hands before and after the interview. That's what I did :)
I mean people still get accepted without shaking hands, but it wont hurt to shake them hands!

Part of the interview is to assess your professional skills and hand shaking/ eye contact are major factors in the professional spectrum

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I have an interview invitation from my DREAM school.
It is scheduled on Thursday, and I am very nervous.

I have read SDN posts, and most of them mentioning 'shaking hands' with the interviewer before and after the interview. I have learned that shaking hands should be suggested from the elders or authorities.
Do usually interviewer suggest shaking hands? Or is it really okay to suggest shaking hands with interviewer?

For example, should I wait until the interviewer puts his/her hand out, or should I extend my hand first?

I know this is somewhat dumb question, but I do not want to give any bad impression.

Please help.

Thank you very much for help.

As a woman, sometimes other women don't shake hands for some reason or give you the quarter hold, where they just barely touch your hand. You can watch for cues from them and go from there.

If your interviewer is a man, make sure you establish good eye contact and give a confident handshake. Assume that you have to initiate it when being interviewed by a man.

Part of the interview is to assess your professional skills and hand shaking/ eye contact are major factors in the professional spectrum
Definitely true, like think of it like a business interview/meeting.

Rule of thumb is to always initiate the handshake like a professional would since your going into a professional graduate program. Nothing bad will happen if you offer to shake their hand.

I always expect an interviewee to shake hands, and for them to initiate the handshake. I still believe that a handshake can say a lot about a person's personality and confidence. Some of the students that have helped me interview laugh at my handshake thing.

I wouldn't think that shaking someone's hand on the first meeting is a bad thing...