Is it possible to "age out" - and not be considered to Tufts and Harvard (due to age only)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The line in the title is what someone told me. The person who told me this claimed to work for a company that does "screening for Tufts and Harvard medical schools." "They won't consider you if you are too old," she said. (I'm in my 30's.)

Members don't see this ad.

Schools hire 3rd party companies to screen? :confused:

I highly doubt this is true.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
no offense Gauss, but I think you've been on here long enough to know better than that. Plus you know it's easy to check this out. Harvard's website shows the entering class's age range goes up to 36 this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Bull! Last cycle, there're 4 matriculants at Harvard and 5 at Tufts aged 30-39 per MSAR.

no offense Gauss, but I think you've been on here long enough to know better than that. Plus you know it's easy to check this out. Harvard's website shows the entering class's age range goes up to 36 this year.

Considering who said this, I wanted to make sure there wasn't some kind of truth to it. It seemed false to me, but the person who said it sounded adamant and isn't known for lying or being mistaken while being so adamant. Glad this apparently isn't a new thing. I don't know why she said these things to me.

I'm a 30-something who's starting at Tufts in 3 weeks, so either his company sucks and I slipped through the cracks or he's a liar.

I could see those 2 schools "aging" me out but I'm well beyond your age group. And even then, I think if I HAD the stats to compete at either of those 2 schools, I'd be considered (I don't think I do for Harvard; possibly for Tufts)

No school will specifically say they are screening out people solely due to age, as such is against the law. However, if you look at student age for some schools (particularly MD) you will see a pattern but usually that is more of a ceiling in the 40's vs 30's. One MD school told me proudly they had once admitted a "much older" student who was 35... lol

All I can tell you about my experience applying to Harvard is this: they didn't much care about my age starting with a "3" considering all of my stats started with a "4." And beyond that, there are plenty of other excellent med schools in this country. Why limit yourself to those two? If you're a MA resident, you'd be much better off going to UMass for half the price if you can get in there. Then if you love Boston so much, heck, go back there for residency. Or get a job there afterward. Believe me, they'll be happy to pay you less for the privilege of working as an attending in Boston than what you can make just about anywhere else. :p

Reactions: 2 users
... they didn't much care about my age starting with a "3" considering all of my stats started with a "4."

Ah, Q, you made my day and started it off with a smile :) Thank you! :laugh:

Believe me, they'll be happy to pay you less for the privilege of working as an attending in Boston than what you can make just about anywhere else.

A urologist friend of mine was offered something like 600K after fellowship.

The rub: It was in Fargo doncha know

Oh yeah. There are some incredibly high paying jobs in off the beaten path areas in the Midwest. Likewise, I can earn way more anywhere in the South than I could in New England, and the COL is way lower too. Considering I hated the winters, it was a no-brainer.
Ah, Q, you made my day and started it off with a smile :) Thank you! :laugh:
Glad I could oblige. ;)

Literally just came here to applaud your Fargo reference