Is it possible to bounce back from these grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biogirl236

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do I need to let go of this dream?
No
Will bouncing back from these grades be enough to keep me in medicine?
Yes, if you have good EC and a great great great MCAT
Is going straight to med school from undergrad still possible, even if I stay a 5th year and bring up that GPA?
Probably not, you'll need more time to retake those classes and prove you can handle a curriculum at a much higher level than Gen Chem and Gen Bio. Even then you may be looking at an okay road to DO, harsh road to MD

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I can't go straight from undergrad to med school, what are my best options?
GPA repair through retaking classes, post bacc, or doing super well in an SMP. Just remember the SDN mantra, I can't believe I just said, it's a marathon, not a race

Reactions: 1 user
So if I can't go straight from undergrad to med school, what are my best options?
If you want any shot at MD (which there is very, very little hope for at this point), you need to hit 3.8+ GPA for the rest of your UG classes and kill the MCAT. Even with that, you're looking at a 3.3 cGPA at best which makes you an extreme longshot there.

Best bet is to do your best for your remaining 2 years and try and apply DO. Do a post-bac or SMP as grade replacement for any C's or D's on your transcript and shoot for an overall GPA of 3.5+ minimum with grade replacement and you've still got a decent shot at making it. You've dug yourself a pretty deep hole, but certainly not something you can't get out of without some hard work.

Retake the C's and D's in a CC and apply DO.

And that is literally not a joke. If you want to be a doc, you need to look at your options. There are a lot of DO schools out there that will take lower GPAs. That said, you can always try to get into MD, and then fall back on DO. There's nothing wrong with that. I had some issues with some core classes, too. Here's what I did:

- Get life experience, work in labor, volunteer at a hospital during the summer, etc. Show med schools you bring adaptability and perspective
- Retake the poorly performed classes, CC is fine. Then you could get back into a 4 year and look in better standing.
- Load up your senior year. I had a poorly performing Sophomore year because I did 4 years in three and tried to take G chem, Physics, and elective bio classes at the same time. Suffice to say, I did great in physics and bio, and ate the dirt in G chem (always hated chem)..... So I loaded up my senior year with 3-4 bio electives at time, did research, and worked as a TA. I was taking 18 hours credit and teaching or doing research half time on the side. It sucked, but it impressed interviewers.

Best of luck!

Yo im not being mean in any way or offensive but sincerely bro.. Good Luck and hope you get to live out your dream of becoming a doc. must be tough

dont let others dissuade you from shooting for MD. I was in exactly the same boat as you. I got Cs in all my pre-req premed courses. I started my upward trend at a ~2.8 and ended up graduating with a 3.3. I took all upper level sciences courses and did not earn less than an A in each of them. I ended up with a 512 mcat sorta balanced. every section above 126. yes it will be a long road and tough af, but you can do anything if you buckle down.

should you apply straight out of undergrad? probably not, i would maybe do some sort of post grad work to show a continued upward trend and make sure its in the hard sciences, not a MPH for example.

people will tell you it's impossible or very unlikely, but it isn't. if i can do it then anyone can, all it takes is dedication and discipline. block out the haters

Reactions: 2 users
GPA repair through retaking classes, post bacc, or doing super well in an SMP. Just remember the SDN mantra, I can't believe I just said, it's a marathon, not a race

A marathon is a race. Just a long one. What I think you mean, is that it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Reactions: 2 users
The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

Do not apply until you have the best possible app. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Med schools aren't going anywhere, and, in fact, by the time you apply, several more schools will have opened their doors.

So let's say I finish up undergrad in 2-3 years, get something close to a 2.8., do a post-bacc... My only option is DO school, not MD, correct?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
dont let others dissuade you from shooting for MD. I was in exactly the same boat as you. I got Cs in all my pre-req premed courses. I started my upward trend at a ~2.8 and ended up graduating with a 3.3. I took all upper level sciences courses and did not earn less than an A in each of them. I ended up with a 512 mcat sorta balanced. every section above 126. yes it will be a long road and tough af, but you can do anything if you buckle down.

should you apply straight out of undergrad? probably not, i would maybe do some sort of post grad work to show a continued upward trend and make sure its in the hard sciences, not a MPH for example.

people will tell you it's impossible or very unlikely, but it isn't. if i can do it then anyone can, all it takes is dedication and discipline. block out the haters

Impossible? No, but definitely very unlikely. OP needs to hit a well above average MCAT (above average for those accepted) and almost ace the rest of her UG and post-grad classes. Given her track record, it's not likely, but as you said not impossible. Not trying to be discouraging, just realistic.

So let's say I finish up undergrad in 2-3 years, get something close to a 2.8., do a post-bacc... My only option is DO school, not MD, correct?

If you can't bring your cGPA above a 3.2, I probably wouldn't bother applying MD. The upward trend would look great, but you'd probably get screened out at a lot of schools. I'm DO, and my school screens out anyone with an sGPA below a 3.25. Shoot to pull it up over a 3.0, even a 2.8 would be too low for a lot of DO schools. With grade replacement, a 3.5 wouldn't be out of the question for you. I agree though, grade replacement --> DO is by far your best option at this point, and I think it's still a very reasonable goal.

Okay, I do find that offensive. You don't need to remind me of how tough it is to waking up in the middle of the night having panic attacks because of my grades and constantly worrying about how I'm basically and bringing my future into an abyss of unemployment, and/or ****ty careers because not only are med schools going to turn me away with these grades, but also grad schools. You may be doing well but you don't have to wave a flag because of it and pity those who are suffering with miserable grades. Just think before you post.. okay?

Breathe, it's gonna be okay. I don't know why you got all that from the other post but you need to relax about this and retake the bad grades like others have suggested.

Retake those classes and kill the MCAT. Won't be easy but you got this

The fastest path for you to become a doctor will be to retake all F/D/C science coursework, do well on MCAT, and apply to DO schools.

IF you're boning for the MD degree, there are MD schools that reward reinvention. You'll need to ace all the classic pre-reqs, and ace either a post-bac (which can be DIY) or a SMP, ideally one given at a med school. Then also ace MCAT (513 or better, 33+ on the old scale).

For you situation a Post-Bacc is almost absolutely required at this point for a shot at MD.

DO is your best option for med school, as others have said. But realistically you are going to have to address these deficiencies to get in. You say you've done "pretty good" in upper division classes? Is pretty good strong enough to help you overcome a fairly poor (for medicine) start?

As someone who had a 3.2 GPA at the end of junior year and is currently grade repairing their way to a 3.6 GPA with a post bacc, I just want you to know that it sucks and takes much much more work, time, and money in the long run than simply acing your classes the first time. In fact I chose to take my MCAT before even starting to do my informal post bacc just because taking all those classes and then still doing poorly on the MCAT would be a colossal waste of time (hence why most formal post baccs nowadays want you to have a MCAT score before you can apply)

You need a good amount of A's to cover the damage from 1 C... I can't even imagine starting from a sub 2.5 GPA... It's much easier to go DO and just rely on grade replacement.

Last edited:
@biogirl236 Caribbean schools sound like a good match for you right now. They will accept you as their vital ranges are between 60-100. I normally don't recommend them to anyone, but I feel like they will give you the opportunity to continue dreaming about becoming a doctor.

DO is your best option for med school, as others have said. But realistically you are going to have to address these deficiencies to get in. You say you've done "pretty good" in upper division classes? Is pretty good strong enough to help you overcome a fairly poor (for medicine) start?

That's why I'm strongly considering a post bacc. It will help me demonstrate that I've mastered the intro level (and more difficult) course work, rather than trying to convince them.

Just do your best. Adcom will appreciate the upward trend. Get your grades up junior year; there's nothing stopping you from applying after you see your MCAT.

What should you do after you graduate if you don't get accepted? That question is the product of negative thinking. You can get accepted if you try your best. Study, shadow, volunteer, maybe some research . . . find activities you love.

I know I've posted about this before, but

After 2 years of undergrad my GPA was about a 2.8

Spent 3 more years in college, GPA for those 3 years was ~3.95 --> cumulative GPA ended up around 3.6 or a hair under.

Applied to ~15 medical schools and got accepted to >50% of them.

Honored all preclinical courses in M1/M2 (top 10% eligible for honors, none of this "25-40% of the class gets Honors" BS).

Step 1 and 2 >260.

Graduated medical school 2nd in my class.

Matched my #1 Dermatology residency program.

Chief resident my final year.

Currently a board certified Dermatology attending.

Work hard and you can certainly hope to achieve some level of measurable success.

Reactions: 5 users

Spent 3 more years in college, GPA for those 3 years was ~3.95 --> cumulative GPA ended up around 3.6 or a hair under.

Honored all preclinical courses in M1/M2 (top 10% eligible for honors, none of this "25-40% of the class gets Honors" BS).

Step 1 and 2 >260.

Work hard and you can certainly hope to achieve some level of measurable success.

How was your MCAT? Seemed like you were capable of high grades all along but you just didn't step it up until 3rd year.

I got these grades so far my freshman/sophomore year:
Gen. Chem. 1: BC
Gen. Chem 2: C
Intro. bio 1: C
Intro bio 2: D
Calc: C
Stats: BC

Currently at a 2.47 GPA, starting my junior year.

I went through a similar situation and applied this cycle. It's gonna be rough, but not impossible. Work as hard as you can and do ec stuff that will make you someone the med schools want anyways. Work hard and apply to DO and MD programs. DO NOT GIVE UP.

Edit: There will be panic attacks and stress and lots of not so great jobs to get yourself by. I've been doing it for three years myself. You can do it but you're going to have to be realistic about the challenges or they will defeat you.

Last edited:
@biogirl236 Caribbean schools sound like a good match for you right now. They will accept you as their vital ranges are between 60-100. I normally don't recommend them to anyone, but I feel like they will give you the opportunity to continue dreaming about becoming a doctor.
Why are you so bitter. "Dreaming " comment is so unkind. Just because you could not make it and had to drop out of school does not mean that others will face the same fate. I hope that biogirl makes her dream a reality

More evidence confirming my belief that there are lots of MD schools that reward reinvention!
:claps::claps::claps::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
Take heed, SDNers.

Step 1 and 2 >260.

Reactions: 3 users
Why are you so bitter. "Dreaming " comment is so unkind. Just because you could not make it and had to drop out of school does not mean that others will face the same fate. I hope that biogirl makes her dream a reality
I didn't have to drop out, I chose to drop out. It's an easy mistake to make for someone who failed their CARS section and spends the time they should be spending studying for it into defending Caribbean schools and going through my public posting history for a sick ad-hom moment. I suppose being realistic is the new bitter when you've got to blatantly break it to the OP that they are prime Caribbean bait material with her unwarranted emotional statements towards her actual statistics. Then again you're someone who needs validation from others as evidenced by your appreciation of the opportunity given by Caribbean schools to worthy candidates and the superficial attention you gave to me. Here, you can have mine right now. But further doses of my attention are reserved only if you retake your CARS. Until then I'm ignoring you no matter how much e-stalking you do on my profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I need to let go of this dream?
No
Will bouncing back from these grades be enough to keep me in medicine?
Yes, if you have good EC and a great great great MCAT
Is going straight to med school from undergrad still possible, even if I stay a 5th year and bring up that GPA?
Probably not, you'll need more time to retake those classes and prove you can handle a curriculum at a much higher level than Gen Chem and Gen Bio. Even then you may be looking at an okay road to DO, harsh road to MD
Yes you can bounce back. My grades were worse. It will take ALOT of hard work, time, and money tho.

What is wrong with DO schools? DO schools may be marginally easier to get into but understand that with your current stats you would not get into a DO school. Also, why do you think that if you aren't a doctor you will be either unemployed or have a ****ty career?

Regardless, be warned. I know of a few people who had your mentality. They got bad grades for the first few years in UG and then made it their goal to get straight or almost straight A's for the remaining years. It didn't really work. As much is it sucks, life doesn't work like how it does in the movies. Unless there was something really holding you back before that you have now eliminated, going from C's to A's isn't as easy as just clenching a little harder while you study, especially as your science classes get harder. If you were already putting a lot of time and effort into studying, I would really make sure to evaluate what you think will allow you to do better now.

I'm not saying you can't. I'm saying that you need to make sure that you can before you waste more time and money. As in if you can't achieve your small miracle during these last two years and/or can't score well on the MCAT, it's probably not worth it to dump a bunch of money into a post-bacc and continue with an MD school pipe dream.

Don't listen to this negative junk, no matter how "realistic" it sounds.

You can do it. Anyone can do it. I am currently doing it now. Yeah it takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and effort, but that is what the field of medicine is about. Don't give up on your dream. Be realistic, but not so that it stops you from progressing forward. Anything is possible, just know it's not a race and one day you will become a physician.

I'm a hooker typing this as I'm finishing up a client.

Don't listen to this negative junk, no matter how "realistic" it sounds.

You can do it. Anyone can do it. I am currently doing it now. Yeah it takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and effort, but that is what the field of solicitation is about. Don't give up on your dream. Be realistic, but not so that it stops you from progressing forward. Anything is possible, just know it's not a race and one day you will become a top bitch like me.

The unrealistic expectations here are out of control.

DO may be the easier path, but financially I think my parents are willing to support me if I do a post-bacc. Do you think that would work out if I brought up my GPA to, say, 2.8?

No. A ton of MD schools will screen for a 3.0 undergrad and will screen out your 2.8 regardless of even a 4.0 post bac. You need to get your undergrad GPA to a 3.0 amd then ace the MCAT, AND THEN apply to SMP programs of you want the MD. For DO you need to retake all C/D/F courses and then do well on the MCAT.

The unrealistic expectations here are out of control.

No. A ton of MD schools will screen for a 3.0 undergrad and will screen out your 2.8 regardless of even a 4.0 post bac. You need to get your undergrad GPA to a 3.0 amd then ace the MCAT, AND THEN apply to SMP programs of you want the MD. For DO you need to retake all C/D/F courses and then do well on the MCAT.
FWIW, I have a 2.9x and have II from 4 MD programs. 3 of which are top 25...

Not to be unrealistic tho. I know the rest of my app is heavier than most without a doubt. Just sayn its not over til its over. If I would have listened to all the SDNers that shot me down I would have quit a long time ago. OP it's gonna take u longer and more money but it's possible. You must turn up now tho.

Going to take a lot of hard work. Very few will make it in your position. Be that person that makes it though!!!

Okay, I do find that offensive. You don't need to remind me of how tough it is to waking up in the middle of the night having panic attacks because of my grades and constantly worrying about how I'm basically and bringing my future into an abyss of unemployment, and/or ****ty careers because not only are med schools going to turn me away with these grades, but also grad schools. You may be doing well but you don't have to wave a flag because of it and pity those who are suffering with miserable grades. Just think before you post.. okay?
LMAO I'm not doing well at all.. stop assuming before you reply

That's interesting. I know several people who are considering post- bacc's that have GPA's around the 2.7-2.8 range. All these people have no shot at an MD? I find that hard to believe.

Unless you have a "catch" then yes. The above poster is a great example of what is possible, but their situation is extremely rare. By definition they are an outlier. It's easy to say you will turn it around and get a 4.0 in your post bac or SMP and then ace the MCAT, many many people try it every year. A few succeed, the majority do not.

Step 1 and 2 >260.

Nicely done! Seems like demolishing preclinical years = pathway to great success throughout medical career, regardless of the medical school grading system.

Nicely done! Seems like demolishing preclinical years = pathway to great success throughout medical career, regardless of the medical school grading system.

That's always been my philosophy (and is obviously consistent with my experience, hence my bias in that direction). It's why I often cringe when I see people bragging about how little they did to get by in the preclinical years because "the grades don't matter." If you bust your butt and do your best to learn it all (even the "low yield" stuff which invariably shows up on Step I anyway), there's very little they can throw at you that you won't be ready for throughout your education.

Not to be unrealistic tho. I know the rest of my app is heavier than most without a doubt. Just sayn its not over til its over. If I would have listened to all the SDNers that shot me down I would have quit a long time ago. OP it's gonna take u longer and more money but it's possible. You must turn up now tho.

Did you go to grad school? What did you do for the GPA repair process?

Did you go to grad school? What did you do for the GPA repair process?
No grad skool. I did a one year 47 credit post bacc. All upper level science. But the rest of my application is overkill in all areas.

It was my only weakness so I guess the post bacc was just enough.