Is it possible to defer my enrollment for a year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Porgception

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to an array of issues, I won't be able to begin this year at Penn. In terms of deferment, is it relatively hard to get it granted? Of course it will depend on the issue, but will schools be willing to work with you? Or will they simply find someone else and let you go?

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to make a really good case as to why you are asking for a deferral. Generally schools look at it on a case-by-case basis. Given the Covid crisis, there may be a lot of people who have wishfully asked for deferrals. In my opinion, if you want it to work for such a late stage deferral (classes are to begin within a couple of weeks), you must make a solid case for this that will ideally is not related to Covid. The best thing to do is to initiate contact (perhaps by phone) as to the process if you are requesting a deferral of acceptance.

Yes they will defer your enrollment, the sooner you let them know the sooner they can fill the spot and the happier everyone will be