Is it possible to have a summer after MS1 without "falling behind"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the question says, is it at all possible/common for students to take a "summer break" after first year in medical school without "falling behind" or putting oneself at a disadvantage when it comes to residency application?

I've had the opportunity to backpack across Europe recently before medical school, and it has been BY FAR the single best experience in my life. However, there's just so much other things I want to do with my life (outside of academics/medicine) and so many places I still want to go see. I am starting my MS 1 soon in a few weeks, and I want to put myself in a position where I can have the luxury to take my next summer off to perhaps to travel again. Is this at all a likely scenario? I definitely plan to get involved in research during my first year so that I don't have to spend the summer after first year just to get involved in research. Can someone with experience comment on whether it's possible to take the summer break without falling behind and hurting one's future?

Members don't see this ad.

I went abroad over the summer as did a bunch of my classmates

also focus on getting into med school first

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As the question says, is it at all possible/common for students to take a "summer break" after first year in medical school without "falling behind" or putting oneself at a disadvantage when it comes to residency application?

I've had the opportunity to backpack across Europe recently before medical school, and it has been BY FAR the single best experience in my life. However, there's just so much other things I want to do with my life (outside of academics/medicine) and so many places I still want to go see. I am starting my MS 1 soon in a few weeks, and I want to put myself in a position where I can have the luxury to take my next summer off to perhaps to travel again. Is this at all a likely scenario? I definitely plan to get involved in research during my first year so that I don't have to spend the summer after first year just to get involved in research. Can someone with experience comment on whether it's possible to take the summer break without falling behind and hurting one's future?
What specialty are you gunning for? If you are focused on anything less competitive than derm or ortho or something like that, you can probably safely take the summer off. Even if you are gunning for derm, you probably wouldn't hurt yourself too much as long as you start research and networking early.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's your last summer off ever... Plus you should relax so you don't end up burning out. Burnout will harm you far more than not getting ahead in the information.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going to try to be doing research, but not in a strict, 8-5, 8 week stipend program. By SDN standards you will be behind.

Also want to share some of this traveling money?

Reactions: 2 users
I went abroad over the summer as did a bunch of my classmates

also focus on getting into med school first

Lol I did get into med school already! I'm starting school at a Top 20 in a few weeks. I am referring to next summer (after my MS 1).

You said you went abroad and a lot of your classmates did, you are still doing medicine related activities right? I guess I am talking about purely just relaxing and traveling/backpacking (even a few weeks up to a month). If I get my stuff together during my first year (like research and etc.), is taking a few weeks off for summer really that uncommon?

What specialty are you gunning for? If you are focused on anything less competitive than derm or ortho or something like that, you can probably safely take the summer off. Even if you are gunning for derm, you probably wouldn't hurt yourself too much as long as you start research and networking early.

As of right now, I am thinking about OB/Gyn. But of course, that could change. And even though it may not be the most competitive of specialties, I still want to try to get into the top programs if possible. How competitive is OB/Gyn relative to other specialties?

It's your last summer off ever... Plus you should relax so you don't end up burning out. Burnout will harm you far more than not getting ahead in the information.

This is what I want to hear!! haha

Also want to share some of this traveling money?

Sure! haha but in all seriousness, it is my believe that anyone can accomplish this if you put your mind to it. I went into college knowing this is what I wanted to do afterwards, so I spent four years budgeting my money. Traveling in Europe is really not as expensive as most people think. Besides the plane tickets to/from Europe that might be a little costly, if you budget the rest of the trip well enough (living in hostels or couch surfing, eating just enough to get by and not starve, join free walking tours that's available in virtually every single European city, take trains to get around Europe, etc.), it really isn't all that expensive. Plus, if you book your flights really early to/from Europe, it actually isn't all that expensive. I backpacked in Europe for a month (went to over 10 countries), and ended up spending less than how much I spent on med school applications by A LOT actually. Let's just say the amount of money I spent on applying to medical school can probably last me months backpacking in Europe.

If you set your goals early on to accomplish this, it's really very simple. Took me a few years to save up, and that will be enough to last me another round of backpacking trip next summer if I get a chance to (without falling behind in school of course!).

The best compromise is to do a clinical project rather than a lab-based project over the summer. Clinical projects typically don't require you to be at a certain place at a certain time in order to do your work. As long as you have access to your institution's EMR or some kind of database specifically for your project, you'll have more flexibility to do whatever you want.

Yes, the summer is your last "free" summer, but it's also a perfect opportunity to get something productive done. If you have any interest in a competitive specialty, I think you would be better served spending that time building your resume. That is, unfortunately, just the reality of the situation. I won't go so far as to say you're "screwed" or something like that if you take the summer off, but just understand that it gets more and more difficult to set aside time to work on research projects as you get through the year. If you want to do something of substance, you may not have the time you wish you could dedicate to it later on.

FWIW, I tend to fall on the "relax, man" side of the philosophy spectrum, but I'm just trying to give you some candid advice.

Reactions: 5 users
I'd also point out that it's not an all or nothing proposition. You don't have to spend the entire summer backpacking through Europe. You could take a reasonable vacation and still have time for a summer project

But yeah I tend to agree with @NickNaylor. You're in professional school and you have only so much time to make yourself a competitive candidate for residencies.

Last edited:
The best compromise is to do a clinical project rather than a lab-based project over the summer. Clinical projects typically don't require you to be at a certain place at a certain time in order to do your work. As long as you have access to your institution's EMR or some kind of database specifically for your project, you'll have more flexibility to do whatever you want.

Yes, the summer is your last "free" summer, but it's also a perfect opportunity to get something productive done. If you have any interest in a competitive specialty, I think you would be better served spending that time building your resume. That is, unfortunately, just the reality of the situation. I won't go so far as to say you're "screwed" or something like that if you take the summer off, but just understand that it gets more and more difficult to set aside time to work on research projects as you get through the year. If you want to do something of substance, you may not have the time you wish you could dedicate to it later on.

FWIW, I tend to fall on the "relax, man" side of the philosophy spectrum, but I'm just trying to give you some candid advice.

^^^

Listen to this wise man, OP. It's not like choosing not to do research is going to keep you out of ob/gyn, but you should know that if you end up trying to get into something more competitive (should you change your mind) or you want to be at a top program, it's safe to say most of your competition is probably going to spend that summer doing something productive. When you're trying to convince [top ob/gyn residency] of your burning passion for academic ob/gyn, spending such a large chunk of free time doing nothing (from the standpoint of your career goals, I love to travel and totally understand your desire to do so) is not very compelling when compared to applicants with similar scores/grades who spent that time honing their research chops and publishing abstracts/papers.

Lots of my kids vacation in summer between OMSI and OMSII.

@Goro @NickNaylor @SouthernSurgeon I was wondering how students fund their summer trips, like backpacking through Europe for example, that have no tie to medical education? Is it possible to use "left over" loans that were allocated for the 1st year? My medical scribe company kind of screwed me this summer and without going into too much detail: the hospital I worked at for ~6 months discontinued their contract with my scribing company and they gave me no heads up whatsoever. And given the awkward timeframe from that point +traveling for interviews there was not much hope to landing a decent job, so I have not been able to save too much 'extra' money.

I hope this isn't a stupid question. And I know this thread is kind of outdated but I also know SDN would rather me not open a new thread addressing the same type of concern.

Thank you!

Haven't a clue!

@Goro @NickNaylor @SouthernSurgeon I was wondering how students fund their summer trips, like backpacking through Europe for example, that have no tie to medical education? Is it possible to use "left over" loans that were allocated for the 1st year? My medical scribe company kind of screwed me this summer and without going into too much detail: the hospital I worked at for ~6 months discontinued their contract with my scribing company and they gave me no heads up whatsoever. And given the awkward timeframe from that point +traveling for interviews there was not much hope to landing a decent job, so I have not been able to save too much 'extra' money.

I hope this isn't a stupid question. And I know this thread is kind of outdated but I also know SDN would rather me not open a new thread addressing the same type of concern.

Thank you!

Can always consider taking that research 5th year... in which case the MS1 summer is even less important.

Can always consider taking that research 5th year... in which case the MS1 summer is even less important.
Ya if you don't mind your loans accumulating for an extra year. If you're going for a super competitive specialty where a 5th year is more of the "norm" then sure, but you should have plenty of time during your first 3 years to get some decent research out even without ms1 summer research for the vast majority of specialties.

OP go ahead and plan for next summer but you never know how your plans will change during your first year, you may get involved in some lab that you really want to work with during the summer, you may want the stipend, you may decide to do one of the medical/researchish type trips to south america, africa, etc., or you may decide you miss your family and friends and just want to go home.

a fifth year of loan interest is going to be a very sizeable amount of money.

I feel like this thread bump begs the question..what did the OP eventually decide to do? summer after MS1 is coming up.

You can always travel to Europe during your research summer. 10 weeks of summer. Spend two weeks in Europe 8 weeks in lab. That simple.