Is it possible to schedule Step 3 prior to residency with a graduation date of late April?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golddog21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I submit my registration the day of graduation, is there any chance that I can get this scheduled before starting residency orientation in late June?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. What was the turnaround time for getting approved to schedule for you or someone you know? I ask bc website says could take up to 12 weeks, but not sure what it typically is

Members don't see this ad :)
If I submit my registration the day of graduation, is there any chance that I can get this scheduled before starting residency orientation in late June?
When I took step 3, some states required a completed year of residency and some didn’t. However you could signup for the test under any state regardless of where you plan to take the test or where your med school or future residency was…

So just pay attention to that if it’s still a thing

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. What was the turnaround time for getting approved to schedule for you or someone you know? I ask bc website says could take up to 12 weeks, but not sure what it typically is

I did not take step 3 prior to residency, nor did anyone among the hundreds of docs I know, to my knowledge. I only know that it is technically possible for some people. I think the advice you'll get here on SDN is that taking step 3 prior to residency is not a good move.

Try googling. Reddit has a ton on this topic.

Reactions: 1 user