Is it possible to take 19 hours and get all 'A's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peachy720

Steel Magnolia
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Is it true that adcoms also consider how many hours you're taking a semester? I'm taking 19 hours this semester:

3 Psychology (including the hardest psych class according to people)
1 English (Children's Lit)
1 Visual Art (Ceramics)
1 Bio + Lab

I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Luckily, I've talked my parents into quitting my job in order to study, get more involved, and volunteer.

So besides the adcom question, I'm also asking if any of y'all have taken 19 hours and still gotten all A's, or am I completely crazy and should drop a class. It's just I messed up so much when I went to school the first time, I'm now 26 and ready to get outta dodge as soon as possible.

Thanks for ANY feedback. You guys (jlee especially ;)) should get paid for this! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

You are taking a full load, but it is cool. There are many others that have done this, including myself.

Anything is possible if you just believe! (side note: Maybe I've been watching the Prince of Egypt too much :laugh: )

When I was a junior in college, I took 19/20 credits (I can't remember which) during my fall semester..I made nothing lower than a B+ (some As were earned..)in all of my classes that semester...
Time management was key for me..

I wish you the best with your classes!

Members don't see this ad :)
I took 15 hours last semester including organic + lab, but not including the fact that I had to write my research thesis (which took up an a**load of my time :thumbdown: ) but I managed to get all A's. I had to work really hard, but the key to doing your best is prioritizing!!!! I can't tell you how many times I heard my b/f say "why don't you ever spend time w/me anymore, etc. :( " but in the end you have to do what you have to do. Keep up with your coursework and you should be ok...I have faith in you Peachy!!!! :love:

Thanks guys!

Sorry, I'm just at that stage where I keep second guessing myself about EVERYTHING. hehe, I know I won't be like that with patients WAY down the road; I'm just scared of screwing up ANY chance I have at getting into med school.

I took 18 hours in the spring and got all A's. It was 5 Englishes and a History, so a bit different. I think I'll be okay, just as Misty already knows, I'm a "bit" of a procrastinator. :oops:

Thanks again for indulging me. :love:

Sounds like my load... with 3 Psychs, a GE and one or two sciences. You'll be fine. Just study a lot on the weekends and DO NOT FALL BEHIND. good luck.

Yes, it's possible. Just be prepared to work hard.

17 credit hours + 20 hours/week work and I got all A's. Kicked my butt, but I did it fine.

I know this is probably the last class you're worried about, but any studio art class takes up a helluva lot of time. And its quite difficult to get an A. Not too warn you off about it, I just know I took it as a relaxing type class and it turned out to definitely not be that.

Nope. Definately impossible.

Peachy720 said:
Hey everyone!

Is it true that adcoms also consider how many hours you're taking a semester? I'm taking 19 hours this semester:

3 Psychology (including the hardest psych class according to people)
1 English (Children's Lit)
1 Visual Art (Ceramics)
1 Bio + Lab

I hope I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Luckily, I've talked my parents into quitting my job in order to study, get more involved, and volunteer.

So besides the adcom question, I'm also asking if any of y'all have taken 19 hours and still gotten all A's, or am I completely crazy and should drop a class. It's just I messed up so much when I went to school the first time, I'm now 26 and ready to get outta dodge as soon as possible.

Thanks for ANY feedback. You guys (jlee especially ;)) should get paid for this! :love:

Well since half of your load is psych classes then yes that is reasonable. The visual arts is a gen ed I am guessing(so easy). Eng could be easy or hard. Bio probably medium.

Very possible. Perhaps not much fun, but if you're happy in your work, it could even be fun.

Anka

I bet it is possible. I took 18 hours, plus worked almost 20 hours during most of my semesters of undergrad. I ended up with a 3.9+ GPA and two degrees in 4 years, but I work well with a lot on my plate. I think about 20% of the population does. However, it can burn you out if you don't have support. You know what you can do, and if you put your mind to it, then do it. P.S. I quit my job while I was studying for the MCAT. That would have been too much!

it's definitely possible! last semester, i was supposed to take 18 credits but there's this mythology class that sounded so interesting (and it was!) so i decided to do an overload...so i took 22 hours total and managed to get a 4.0 gpa. no, i didn't study until 3 am everyday ;) in fact, i still had some time to volunteer and participate in some ECs... it's perfectly doable..the key here is to manage your time well. good luck! :)

It depends on what you think you're capable of - if you're prepared to work a little harder, you should be fine, but if you were struggling to get a 4.0 with 15 credits then maybe you should reconsider. Adcom's will look at how many credits you have taken per semester, but you're first you're going to need the numbers to get past that initial screening. Your GPA and MCAT scores are most important, and the number of credits/types of courses etc. will be reviewed only afterwards, and only to differentiate you from Sally So-So who also has a 4.0 and 40 on her MCAT. Concentrate on your grades first kiddo, and then look into impressing the adcom with your qualitative credentials.