is it possible to take a time off instead of elective rotation during MSIII?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I very much appreciate any experience regarding following:

My school has 1 elective (4 weeks) during MSIII and 6 electives during MSIV. I will need personal time off (for 2-3 weeks to sort out family issues: wife will be delivering and issues with my daughter and immigration issues as I'm a international student as of right now) during MSIII if possible, and I was thinking to take it instead of 1 elective, but I'm not sure if concept of electives even allows that possibility? Of course if it's a 100% no no - then I'll have to suck it up, but if it's possible in theory - I wouldn't mind that missed elective at all (6 electives during MSIV is more than enough imho)

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about your school, but my school has built-in time off (they call it "bridge" time) during MS3 and MS4. I'm taking an entire month off for my own delivery and will still have all my electives done in time to graduate. Contact your school for more info and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
You can get time off for birth of a child. Extra time is present in 4th year that most people use for interviews. Talk to your school about it. Electives count as credits towards graduation and you want to discuss with them what they think you should do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can get time off for birth of a child. Extra time is present in 4th year that most people use for interviews. Talk to your school about it. Electives count as credits towards graduation and you want to discuss with them what they think you should do.

Thank you. I think that answers my question, if they count as credits - then there's no way I can make them up (there's no extra 1 month time left to make it up during MSIII) and I don't think my school will make an exception just for me (unless I was the one delivering a baby lol) and let me graduate without 6 (or whatever 1 rotation is worth) missing credits :(
I will inquire anyway, thank you again!

Usually the extra time is built into the 4th year. They'll still let you graduate in time. If you are a female and take the time off to have a baby you still have to get the total number of credits :)