Is it potentially bad to show involvement in religious organizations on my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

ratman7

I've heard that adcoms may react negatively to religious clubs, etc.

Ive been involved in religious volunteering, etc since middle school which would amount to a lot of hours and is something I believe in.
Why could writing this on the app possibly backfire on my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless it was ISIS or the Westboro Baptist Church, It doesn't look bad, and in fact, can look outstanding.

Speak highly of what you learned, and how it'll contribute to your life as a medical student and physician. Show passion, growth, insight, and maturity. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say it's more positive than neutral. Seeing that you're involved in something that you care about is a big plus. Schools like individuals and they like good people. This speaks to both of those qualities.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a lot of very religious people in medicine. A doctor of the same faith as a patient may be better able to comfort them when facing a difficult medical diagnosis.

If anything they will react positively. It came up quite frequently during interviews and was a refreshing topic to chat about.

I'd say it's more positive than neutral. Seeing that you're involved in something that you care about is a big plus. Schools like individuals and they like good people. This speaks to both of those qualities.

So devout religiosity is encouraged in medicine, but I'm guessing that religious skepticism and irreligiosity isn't?

Last edited:
So devout religiosity is encouraged in medicine, but I'm guessing that religious skepticism and irreligiosity isn't? Actually, this is a silly question, given the existing research on this.

I doubt adcoms care either way. It's just an extra conversation topic if you interviewer ventures into that arena.
However, as the interviewee, I would not peddle my religious views in any ethical questions asked, at least not too much. Too may possible toes to step on.
Just my 2 cents.

There are very few issues with bringing religion into the application process. For 99% of things, you are completely and totally in the clear and are encouraged to bring up things that are important to you and are a part of who you are as an applicant.

However, there ARE a few issues. If you are going to bring in affiliation with various religious organizations, you better know what the hot button issues are associated with them if there are any. You should have an appreciation for any and all sides and a diplomatic stance about them. You can call it unfair, but adcoms don't want zealots. Also, categorically, stay away from discussion of militant off shoots. There was someone on here asking about their involvement in Gadna which is essentially a pro-Israel Hitler Youth group. It is fine to be involved with whatever you believe in. Just don't expect people to want it in their medical school class.

So devout religiosity is encouraged in medicine, but I'm guessing that religious skepticism and irreligiosity isn't? Actually, this is a silly question, given the existing research on this.

It's not being religious or being not religious... it's being involved in a community-oriented organization over a long period of time.

Reactions: 1 users
There are very few issues with bringing religion into the application process. For 99% of things, you are completely and totally in the clear and are encouraged to bring up things that are important to you and are a part of who you are as an applicant.

So if being an atheist is important to me, I should bring that up? (I'm not saying that I am an atheist.) But you should avoid seeming zealous about your beliefs either way?

So if being an atheist is important to me, I should bring that up? (I'm not saying that I am an atheist.) But you should avoid seeming zealous about your beliefs either way?

If you see it as an important part of why you went into medicine. Sure. Not sure how one would connect the two, but I can be surprised :p. But, overall, yes, you want to avoid being labelled as someone who is likely not going to play well with others in the sandbox.

Like mimelim said, if it's really important to why you went in to medicine, then I suppose so. Otherwise, no reason to do so. It's not the same as following a religion.

Religious groups are more because of what they do (non-profits, beliefs and principles that shaped you, food drives, etc.). How do you bring up that you're an atheist? It's similar to just being secular, and doing activities that help people, WITHOUT tying in religion.

Sort of like volunteering at a food pantry that is not affiliated with any particular religious denomination. You don't write down that you're an atheist doing it. You just say that you volunteered there. It's different to say "My youth group and I...".

Honestly, I don't know any atheists (aside from Dawkins, etc.) that really discuss how important it is to them. In religion, you feel a strong love for whatever it is you believe.

Atheism, you lack that "entity" or principle to really love and talk about. You're just sort of...whatever. NOT saying the same VALUES aren't there. It's just that, religious groups tie the help and service into their beliefs and teachings of their specific religion. As an atheist, aside from lack of belief, you don't really have beliefs and values or principles that define your atheism.

This, coming from an atheist (more agnostic, I suppose).

To answer your questions, I certainly depends on where you're interviewing. Loma Linda will be more open towards that religious inclination than others, and they have their own "line" in regards to what they consider a zealous individual. But, in general, zealots are not, by any means, favored. It's better to not unnecessarily shake branches. For the most part, people in this profession are very open (you sort of have to be), and you'll be fine. But don't defend or bring up strong beliefs and opinions where it is not relevant.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I swear ratty, WHO is telling you all this bovine excrement??

You are either listening to some seriously ignorant people, or trolling the hell out of SDN.

I've heard that adcoms may react negatively to religious clubs, etc.

Ive been involved in religious volunteering, etc since middle school which would amount to a lot of hours and is something I believe in.
Why could writing this on the app possibly backfire on my chances?

Reactions: 3 users

That's a rather large leap of logic...

Since I've done it for about 10 years realistically, without keeping track of the hours early on, how many hours should I put?

Realistically, it's well over 2500 hours but I am not sure if I want to write that because it may seem overly obnoxious. Up until college I've done it 4-5 hours/week but now I've only been involved 2 hrs/week. Should I go ahead and write 2500+ on the hour list, from ~2005-current when i apply, or should I just write the hours I kept track (from 2009-current which is about 1000), or should I put something else? if so, what?

Since I've done it for about 10 years realistically, without keeping track of the hours early on, how many hours should I put?

Realistically, it's well over 2500 hours but I am not sure if I want to write that because it may seem overly obnoxious. Up until college I've done it 4-5 hours/week but now I've only been involved 2 hrs/week. Should I go ahead and write 2500+ on the hour list, from ~2005-current when i apply, or should I just write the hours I kept track (from 2009-current which is about 1000), or should I put something else? if so, what?

The max number of hours that you can even put is 999, IIRC.

They'll understand that it's a lot, because you will provide the dates that you have participated in.

Like mimelim said, if it's really important to why you went in to medicine, then I suppose so. Otherwise, no reason to do so. It's not the same as following a religion.

Religious groups are more because of what they do (non-profits, beliefs and principles that shaped you, food drives, etc.). How do you bring up that you're an atheist? It's similar to just being secular, and doing activities that help people, WITHOUT tying in religion.

Sort of like volunteering at a food pantry that is not affiliated with any particular religious denomination. You don't write down that you're an atheist doing it. You just say that you volunteered there. It's different to say "My youth group and I...".

Honestly, I don't know any atheists (aside from Dawkins, etc.) that really discuss how important it is to them. In religion, you feel a strong love for whatever it is you believe.

Atheism, you lack that "entity" or principle to really love and talk about. You're just sort of...whatever. NOT saying the same VALUES aren't there. It's just that, religious groups tie the help and service into their beliefs and teachings of their specific religion. As an atheist, aside from lack of belief, you don't really have beliefs and values or principles that define your atheism.

This, coming from an atheist (more agnostic, I suppose).

To answer your questions, I certainly depends on where you're interviewing. Loma Linda will be more open towards that religious inclination than others, and they have their own "line" in regards to what they consider a zealous individual. But, in general, zealots are not, by any means, favored. It's better to not unnecessarily shake branches. For the most part, people in this profession are very open (you sort of have to be), and you'll be fine. But don't defend or bring up strong beliefs and opinions where it is not relevant.
I hold an executive board position for the Secular Student Alliance at my school, and I left it off my application. I talked to Hemant Mehta (The Friendly Atheist blogger), who was briefly in medical school before deciding it was not for him. He was emphatic that I leave it off my application. Just too much stigma against it right now.

That being said, it actually was and is a motivating factor for me to go into medicine. There's nobody who is going to swoop down and save the sick and injured, no matter who prays to what gods for it, so it's up to us to care for eachother. I also don't believe that there's a consolation prize (or possibly eternal torture, to be fair) for dying if I mess something up!

It's truly amazing how you leaped from what Jonnythan said to this...

I hold an executive board position for the Secular Student Alliance at my school, and I left it off my application. I talked to Hemant Mehta (The Friendly Atheist blogger), who was briefly in medical school before deciding it was not for him. He was emphatic that I leave it off my application. Just too much stigma against it right now.

That being said, it actually was and is a motivating factor for me to go into medicine. There's nobody who is going to swoop down and save the sick and injured, no matter who prays to what gods for it, so it's up to us to care for eachother. I also don't believe that there's a consolation prize (or possibly eternal torture, to be fair) for dying if I mess something up!

Correct. Stigma is there.

I respect why you decided not to, I'm totally talking about my involvement in the atheist community when I apply.

What would they say at adcom meetings? Altblue is clearly just like TheAmazingAtheist, do not admit?

Sure, my potential application to LUCOM or Loma Linda would be thrown in the trash, but if an entire committeee of grown adults at a "secular" school can't respect my participation and leadership in a community group, I probably don't want to attend that school anyway.

I respect why you decided not to, I'm totally talking about my involvement in the atheist community when I apply.

What would they say at adcom meetings? Altblue is clearly just like TheAmazingAtheist, do not admit?

Sure, my potential application to LUCOM or Loma Linda would be thrown in the trash, but if an entire committeee of grown adults at a "secular" school can't respect my participation and leadership in a community group, I probably don't want to attend that school anyway.
I thought like that originally, but I changed my mind. You never know which ONE person happens to review your application pre-II. People have biases. Some people who embrace every other kind of diversity still see godless people as extremely suspect. It just wasn't worth it to me to potentially have a great match for me be ruined by the opinion of a single reviewer.