Is it realistic to want to become a dermatologist?

RonP98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a dermatologist. I want to be one so badly. At the dermatologist, I'm always at ease, interested in the work dermatologists do. Having had some skin problems myself only heightened the interested! After doing some research, I became even more driven to become a dermatologist, due to the lifestyle many dermatologists seem to live, as well as the salary. I truly see myself becoming a physician, but I also want a family and the relative laxness of the life of dermatologists, in comparison to other MDs, allures me. I know that it is difficult, but is it realistic to want to become a dermatologist? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

STREAMPAW ALERT :hello:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to be a dermatologist. I want to be one so badly. At the dermatologist, I'm always at ease, interested in the work dermatologists do. Having had some skin problems myself only heightened the interested! After doing some research, I became even more driven to become a dermatologist, due to the lifestyle many dermatologists seem to live, as well as the salary. I truly see myself becoming a physician, but I also want a family and the relative laxness of the life of dermatologists, in comparison to other MDs, allures me. I know that it is difficult, but is it realistic to want to become a dermatologist? Any advice?

No. It is unrealistic to wish to become a unicorn.

Though, your desire for an easy life is an obstacle. The road to derm, as with any competitive specialty, requires a great deal of hard work and dedication. You won't get far if your desire stems from the perception of an easy lifestyle.

Reactions: 1 users
I know that it is difficult, but is it realistic to want to become a dermatologist?

Err.... well since dermatologists do indeed exist, and the attainment of that profession is a possibility for you, then yes... it is realistic.

The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.

We'd be lying if we told you it's unrealistic to be a dermatologist haha. I'm sure a lot of dermatologists today were wondering the same thing at your age.

That being said, I totally agree with @Roberie , medicine in general is not a career someone should pursue because they like an easy lifestyle. The medical doctor career path is a VERY long and stressful but rewarding road. If your only light at the end of the tunnel is money and taking vacations with your family, you're more than likely going to fall short.

Of course it is realistic; however, money cannot become your sole reason for pursuing medicine; you will ultimately burn out.

How difficult is it to be matched with dermatology though?

Of course it is realistic; however, money cannot become your sole reason for pursuing medicine; you will ultimately burn out.
Aside from the money, I am genuinely interested in the human body and see myself working in the field of medicine. That truly is the main reason why I want to become a doctor. Is it wrong to even think about the money a little? It's definitely not the sole reason I have for pursuing medicine, but I do think about it. I also don't want to be let down though.

Aside from the money, I am genuinely interested in the human body and see myself working in the field of medicine. That truly is the main reason why I want to become a doctor. Is it wrong to even think about the money a little? It's definitely not the sole reason I have for pursuing medicine, but I do think about it. I also don't want to be let down though.

Dermatology is one of the more difficult specialties in which to be matched. Perhaps a medical student or derm resident can chime in and give you more insight into that question.

It's absolutely fine to think about how much money you will make, but do not obssess over it. I've made that mistake in the past on these boards, and I can tell you that I was in for a rude awakening when I started my prereq classes (I did fine). My focus completely changed then. Now, I'm in it because I actually enjoy what I'm doing in school and in the field (volunteering, shadowing, et cetera). I'm glad to hear that money is not your only reason for pursuing medicine. You won't be let down in terms of income, if that's what you mean.

Despite premed dogma, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to make a good living. I'd be the last to knock anyone for being ambitious in that regard. But that's not the tone of what you initially posted. My point was that it's important to recognize there are quite a few nose-to-the-grindstone years between deciding to be a dermatologist and reaping the rewards of an attending lifestyle. It is certainly achievable, but only via that route.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure it's realistic to want to be a dermatologist…it's just not realistic to expect to be a dermatologist.

You have about 10 years of your life left before you're in a position to figure out whether or not dermatology is an option for you. If you want dermatology now, then go to college and work hard. If you still want it when you graduate from college, then go to medical school and work hard. Once you hit the end of medical school, you'll know whether it's realistic or not.

Reactions: 1 users
It's only realistic if you make it a reality. Work hard and stay dedicated. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Dude the day to day of general dermatology is actually quite demanding. On my rotations we saw easily 80 patients per day for general derm days. And while this doesn't mean anything to you now probably, 80 patients is A LOT! It's more than twice an average doctors patient load... And while it's true that if you want I bust your ass you can make a boat load of cash, it will be hard work. Gone are the days where you can just chill and make 500k...and depending on how reimbursements pan out down the line, you may not be making a lot. So do it for the love of skin, not the lifestyle!