Is it really too late in the cycle???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hippiedoc14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have noticed this coming up a lot on this forum. Does this depend on stats and where you are applying?! In essence, does this effect me?

I'm a non traditional student only applying to in state public schools, LA resident. My stats are 3.82c 4.0s and 31 MCAT. I have a very well written PS tjat was approved by some of the science faculty, 4 great LORs from science faculty, prior employment at a hospital 1 1/2 years, not a lot of volunteer work because I worked the entire time I was in school. The last two years I worked as a science tutor for the university I attended.

Is this all null do to the fact that I submitted my app on 08/20/13?

Thanks for all your honesty.

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine for LA schools. The early application thing is mostly for top research schools, private schools that get 10k apps, and people with borderline stats.

i think it will affect you. Tulane likes people with high MCATs, if you go to the school thread people with 31s are getting rejected left and right, but you did say you were only applying to public schools. you have a shot at both the LSUs based on stats. Your ECs could use some work, primarily research is lacking. since your app was submitted 8/20 youre looking at early-mid october verification which puts secondaries at mid-late october which is pretty late in the cycle. the problem is there are only two public schools in LA... and thats kinda putting all your eggs in... well two baskets, but for anyone applying to med school its generally not advisable to apply to just two.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i think it will affect you, for california schools you are below the average MCAT for every single school except for Loma Linda, at which youre at the average. You have either slightly above or average cGPA with a above average sGPA. since your app was submitted 8/20 youre looking at early-mid october verification which puts secondaries at mid-late october which is pretty late in the cycle. Seeing as how your stats aren't exceptional, and being a CA resident (which has lots of really good schools) i'd say that you set yourself back by applying so late.

of course this also depends on where you apply. so hopefully you apply broadly. your GPA is good, your MCAT is at or slightly below average at most mid tier places(national average is 32), but yea early bird gets the medical school worm

LA resident, not CA resident...

Hello All,

I have noticed this coming up a lot on this forum. Does this depend on stats and where you are applying?! In essence, does this effect me?

I'm a non traditional student only applying to in state public schools, LA resident. My stats are 3.82c 4.0s and 31 MCAT. I have a very well written PS tjat was approved by some of the science faculty, 4 great LORs from science faculty, prior employment at a hospital 1 1/2 years, not a lot of volunteer work because I worked the entire time I was in school. The last two years I worked as a science tutor for the university I attended.

Is this all null do to the fact that I submitted my app on 08/20/13?

Thanks for all your honesty.
You might want to read through last year's Pre-Allo School Specific threads for your two state schools to get a handle on how they manage later applications, as this can vary widely.

For example, regarding my two state schools: with one you could apply on the deadline in November and still get in with an average application. With the other, if you don't submit until late August (verified 6-8 weeks later, Secondary submitted a few weeks after that), you are unlikely to get an acceptance unless your application is special in some way.

Regardless of how you find that late applications are managed, live this year as if you may need to reapply. For sure, start working on some nonmedical community service (some Secondaries give one a place to mention ongoing activities, it may come up at interviews, and could be mentioned in update letters, where permitted). Consider some formal shadowing if you don't already have some.

Thank you to everyone that has responded, I really appreciate the feedback! :)

i think it will affect you. Tulane likes people with high MCATs, if you go to the school thread people with 31s are getting rejected left and right, but you did say you were only applying to public schools. you have a shot at both the LSUs based on stats. Your ECs could use some work, primarily research is lacking. since your app was submitted 8/20 youre looking at early-mid october verification which puts secondaries at mid-late october which is pretty late in the cycle. the problem is there are only two public schools in LA... and thats kinda putting all your eggs in... well two baskets, but for anyone applying to med school its generally not advisable to apply to just two.

Tulane would reject me based on the fact that I am an LA resident. They are extremely biased. Nearly 70% of their classes come from the northeast. Plus they are extremely expensive and train at many of the facilities with the same docs as LSU does. *Shhhh... that is an in-state secret. You get the SAME education for half the price.* ;)

You might want to read through last year's Pre-Allo School Specific threads for your two state schools to get a handle on how they manage later applications, as this can vary widely.

Regardless of how you find that late applications are managed, live this year as if you may need to reapply. For sure, start working on some nonmedical community service (some Secondaries give one a place to mention ongoing activities, it may come up at interviews, and could be mentioned in update letters, where permitted). Consider some formal shadowing if you don't already have some.

I did check the last couple of years forums and not much is posted on timeliness of apps. As for secondaries, the schools released them to me within a day or two of my AMCAS app submission. So, I have already mailed them back and have proof of receipt.

However, I LOVE your advice about what I should do over the next year. I do have some community service but it was many several years ago, again I had to work while in college. I will def work on trying to get to shadow someone.