Is it reasonable to ask this guy for a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetdreams87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing an anesthesia rotation at an affiliate hospital of my school and the program director here is apparently well known. I worked with him for 2 days, but there wasn't a ton of interaction, since he left the room for most of the case and when he was back, he was helping the resident. I've attended all his lectures though and tried to ask good questions afterwards.

I'm trying to set up a meeting with him just to chit chat about residency and whatnot. Would is be unreasonable for me to ask him for a letter? I assume if he says yes, it'll be pretty generic...but since he's well-known, isn't that still good?

**I'd obviously love to work with him more, but he doesn't work in the OR very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing an anesthesia rotation at an affiliate hospital of my school and the program director here is apparently well known. I worked with him for 2 days, but there wasn't a ton of interaction, since he left the room for most of the case and when he was back, he was helping the resident. I've attended all his lectures though and tried to ask good questions afterwards.

I'm trying to set up a meeting with him just to chit chat about residency and whatnot. Would is be unreasonable for me to ask him for a letter? I assume if he says yes, it'll be pretty generic...but since he's well-known, isn't that still good?

**I'd obviously love to work with him more, but he doesn't work in the OR very much.

if he's a big name, 'go for it'. Nothing to loose.